This 4 ingredient apple slice is a perfect recipe if you’re looking for a delicious dessert with minimum ingredients and effort from your side. Even if we use only 4 ingredients, the flavors will explode in your mouth, and you will not believe that it was so easy to make.
Are you ready to take a bite out of something truly delicious and oh-so-easy to make? Well, have I got the recipe for you! Introducing my 4 Ingredient Apple Slice that is sure to become a family favorite in no time.
With just four simple ingredients – fresh apples, sugar, starch, and dough – you can create a mouth-watering dessert that will have everyone begging for more.
But let me tell you, this isn’t your average apple pie or crisp. No, no, no. This is a unique take on a classic treat that is sure to surprise and delight your taste buds.
And the best part? It’s so easy to make even the most novice of bakers can whip this up in a jiffy.
First things first, let’s talk about the star of the show – the apples! When it comes to choosing the right apples for this recipe, it’s important to pick ones that are firm, sweet, and juicy.
I love to use a mix of Granny Smith and Honeycrisp apples for a tart and tangy flavor, but you can also use Pink Lady, or any other variety that you prefer.
Next up, we have the sugar and starch. These two ingredients work together to create a luscious and thick filling that perfectly complements the apples.
Now, I know what you’re thinking, “Victoria, isn’t sugar bad for us?” Well, let me tell you, a little bit of sweetness in our lives never hurts anyone, especially when it comes to dessert.
We’re only using a small amount here to help bring out the natural sweetness of the apples and balance out the tartness.
Pro Tip: You may use a combination of brown and white sugar to give it a rich, caramel-like flavor.
Also, we will need cornstarch to thicken the mixture. I know it might not sound glamorous, but trust me, it’s an essential ingredient for our Apple Slice.
It’s important to ensure the filling is the right consistency, so don’t be afraid to add more starch if needed.
And last but certainly not least, we have the dough. You can use store-bought pie crust for convenience, but I highly recommend making your own dough from scratch if you’re feeling adventurous.
It’s surprisingly easy and will take this 4 Ingredient Apple Slice to the next level. Plus, there’s something so satisfying about kneading and rolling out the dough yourself.
If you’re limited on time, pick a high-quality dough as we have only 4 ingredients, and it is crucial that all of them are top-quality.
We’re keeping things simple here, so we’re going to use a pre-made pie crust. It’s easy, it’s quick, and it tastes delicious.
So there you have it, folks!
Now that we’ve covered the basics let’s get down to business and start baking! With just a few simple steps and a little bit of patience, you’ll have a mouth-watering dessert that’s perfect for any occasion.
Let’s get started!
🥰 Why You Will Love This Recipe?
- It’s incredibly easy to make – With just four simple ingredients and minimal prep time, this recipe is perfect for anyone who wants to whip up a delicious dessert without spending hours in the kitchen.
- It’s budget-friendly – Since the recipe only requires four ingredients, it won’t break the bank to make. Plus, you can often find these ingredients on sale at your local grocery store.
- It’s versatile – While we’re using fresh apples for this recipe, you can easily swap them out for other fruits like pears, peaches, or even berries. The options are endless!
- It’s a crowd-pleaser – Who doesn’t love a delicious apple dessert? This recipe is sure to be a hit with your friends and family, and they’ll never guess how easy it was to make.
- It’s customizable – Want to add some cinnamon or nutmeg for a little extra spice? Go for it! Want to top it with some whipped cream or vanilla ice cream? Absolutely! This recipe is easily customizable to suit your personal taste preferences
🥘 Ingredients and Substitutes
- Apples. Choose a variety of apples that are sweet-sour. Also, in this recipe, you can also use smaller apples or ones that look duller. I used a mix of Honeycrisp and granny smith.
- Starch. I used cornstarch, but you can replace it with any other type of starch.
- Dough. I used homemade pie crust dough, but you can replace it with store-bought pie crust, or puff pastry (millefeuilles).
👩🍳 Step-by-step Directions
Grate the apples and put them in a frying pan.
After that, add the sugar, and set the heat to low. Cook the grated apples until they soften.
Quick Note: The cooking time will vary on the type of apples you will use. On average, this process will take about 15 minutes.
After this, add the starch. Mix well.
Pro Tip: To avoid the formation of lumps, I recommend you dissolve the starch in about 2 tablespoons of water before you add it to the grated apples.
Cook the apples until their juice thickens. This process should take about 5 minutes on low to medium heat.
Pro Tip: In order to avoid the formation of lumps and burning of the starch, it is necessary to mix continuously.
If you used homemade dough, then separate it into 2 pieces and stretch it using a rolling pin. We need a thickness of about 3 mm.
Quick Note: We need to divide the dough into 2 pieces use one for the base and the second one for the lid with which we will cover the tray.
If you use store-bought dough, then keep in mind that you need 2 crusts, one for the base and one for the lid to cover the apple slice.
After that, you need to prepare the dough. It needs to be exactly the size of the pan.
For this, when the dough is on the table, put the tray on top of the dough and, with a knife, cut the dough around the casserole.
Or you have another option: to put the dough in the casserole and then, with a knife, cut the excesses from the edges.
Use the method that is most convenient for you. I opted for the first option.
Use the same technique for both crusts.
After arranging the dough in the casserole, take a fork and pierce the surface of the dough to avoid swelling during baking.
After the apples have been well-chilled, you can put them on top of the dough.
Spread the apple filling in an even layer over the dough.
After this, cover the composition with the 2nd piece of dough. Remove the excesses on the edges if needed.
Take a knife and cut the cake into slices as big as you want for the serving portion to be at the end.
After that, preheat the oven and bake the casserole with apple slices at 350°F (175°C) for about 20 minutes.
In the end, let the apple slice cool down well, and you can decorate it as you wish. I chose a simple variant: sprinkle some powdered sugar over it.
🍽️ Serving Suggestions
- Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream – This classic combination is sure to be a crowd-pleaser. The apple slice pairs perfectly with the cool, creamy ice cream.
- Drizzle with caramel sauce – For an extra indulgent treat, try drizzling the apple slice with some caramel sauce before serving.
- Top with whipped cream – A dollop of fresh whipped cream on top of the apple slice is always a good idea.
- If you’re looking for some extra texture, add some chopped nuts – Chopped pecans or walnuts are a great addition to this recipe. Try sprinkling them on top before baking for some extra crunch.
🏆 Expert Tips. What to Pay Attention To?
- Use the right apples – It’s important to choose apples that are firm and slightly tart for this recipe. Granny Smiths are a great choice, but you can also try other varieties like Honeycrisp, Braeburn, or Jonathan. Just be sure to avoid apples that are overly sweet or soft.
- Don’t overfill the crust – It can be tempting to pack in as much filling as possible but be careful not to overfill the crust. If you do, the filling may spill out and make a mess in the oven.
- Vent the crust – Before baking, be sure to make a few slits or cuts in the top of the crust to allow steam to escape. This will prevent the crust from getting too soggy and help the filling cook evenly.
- Let it cool before slicing – Once the apple slice is finished baking, resist the urge to slice into it right away. Give it some time to cool and set up first, ideally for at least 15-20 minutes. This will help the filling thicken up and make it easier to slice cleanly.
- Experiment with toppings – While this recipe is delicious on its own, don’t be afraid to get creative with toppings! Try adding a sprinkle of cinnamon or nutmeg on top, or serve it with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
🤔 Answering Your Questions:
Can I Use a Different Type of Fruit Instead of Apples?
Yes, you can easily substitute other fruits for the apples. Pears, peaches, and berries all work well in this recipe.
Can I Make the Crust From Scratch Instead of Using Store-Bought?
Absolutely! Making the crust from scratch can be a great option if you have the time and inclination. There are plenty of pie crust recipes available online to choose from.
Do I Have to Use Cornstarch?
While cornstarch is the recommended thickener for this recipe, you can also use other starches like tapioca or arrowroot if you prefer.
Can I Make This Recipe Ahead of Time?
Yes, you can make the filling ahead of time and store it in the fridge for up to a day or two. Just be sure to bake the slice fresh right before serving for the best results. Also, remember that grated apples will darken if you grate them ahead of time.
Can I Add Additional Spices to the Filling?
Absolutely! Cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice are great options to add some extra flavor to the filling.
📋 Recipe Card:
4 Ingredient Apple Slice
- 1 lb Dough
- 5 Apples
- 3 tablespoons Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Starch
- Grate the apples and put them in a frying pan.5 Apples
- Add sugar over the apples, mix well, and cook them on low heat until the apples soften. It should take about 15 minutes.3 tablespoons Sugar
- After that, add starch. Mix well and cook for about 5 more minutes. Leave aside to rest and cool down.1 tablespoon Starch
- Separate the dough into two pieces. One for the base, another one we will need to cover the pie.1 lb Dough
- Stretch the dough to the size of the casserole using a rolling pin.
- Put one layer of the dough in the casserole. Remove the excesses from the edges if is needed.
- On the dough, in an even layer, put the grated apples that we cooked early.
- Cover with the second layer of the dough.
- Preheat the oven and bake the casserole with apple slices at 350°F (175°C) for about 20 minutes.
I highly recommend reading the entire recipe to find more tips and notes about this recipe. Read Full Recipe ⇑
- To avoid forming the lumps, dissolve the starch in 2 tablespoons of water before you will add it over the apples.