This 4 ingredients pie with bacon, egg, and celery is a flavorful and satisfying meal that’s very easy to make. It is a quick versatile dish, that you can customize and prepare for breakfast, brunch, or dinner when you’re limited on time.
For this recipe, you can use whatever type of dough you prefer to use while you’re making pies. I used homemade shortbread tart crust because I love making everything from scratch for my family when I have some time.
But if you’re limited on time, or just want to simplify the cooking process, feel free to use store-bought pie crust dough that you like.
While this traditional recipe is not made using leeks, I highly recommend giving it a try and to make this pie with leeks and bacon. This combination is very good and it is a great way to make the pie healthier as the leek is a nutritious vegetable.
This recipe is not only quick and easy to make, but it’s also healthy and nutritious.
The eggs provide a good source of protein, while the leeks add fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Plus, this recipe it’s a great way to use up leftover bacon and vegetables.
I love using leeks as they add a sweet and onion-like flavor to the pie, while the bacon adds a smoky and salty flavor. Eggs on another hand, provide a rich and creamy texture.
In combination, these 4 simple ingredients will give you delicious pay that will give the impression that it is more sophisticated than it actually is.
Enough words, let’s dive into more details!
🥰 Why You Will Love This Recipe?
- It is an easy and straightforward recipe making it a great option for those who are short on time or want to prepare something with their kids.
- It is a versatile dish that you can adjust and enjoy for breakfast, brunch, lunch, or even for a light dinner. Also, you can meal prep and keep it in the fridge.
- It is budget friendly as you don’t need a lot of ingredients for it.
🥘 Ingredients and Substitutes
OUR FAVORITE AIR FRYER
COSORI Air Fryer Pro
Having used the previous model of the Cosori air fryer for all my recipes on the blog, and recently upgraded to this one. It is a must-have addition to any kitchen that aims for healthier and tastier meals.
- Dough. I used homemade shortbread tart crust, but if you are limited on time or if you want to simplify the process, you can pick a store-bought shortbread dough.
- Leek. This is not a classic ingredient for this recipe, but the combination of egg, bacon, and leek is a very successful one, and I decided to use it. If you didn’t try this combination yet – highly recommend it. If you don’t have leek at hand, you could replace it with sautéed onions in a bit of butter.
- Salt & Black Pepper.
👩🍳 Step-by-step Directions
Let’s start with the dough.
Spread the dough in an even layer of about ⅒“(2-3mm) thickness (Image 1).
After that, transfer the dough to the pan in which you will bake the tart (Image 2).
Pro Tip: To simplify the process, you can spread the dough on a sheet of baking paper. Putting it on baking paper will make it easier for you to separate it from the table and move it into the casserole.
Or you can spin the dough on the rolling pin, then transfer it to the baking dish and roll it out on top of the tray.
After you have arranged the dough in the baking form, cut off the excess from the top edges (Image 3).
Quick Note: Don’t throw away these dough excesses, as we will cover the pie later with it.
After cutting off the excess, take a fork and make some indentations in the dough at the bottom of the pan (Image 4).
Quick Note: It is necessary to make these indentations to avoid swelling of the dough during baking and subsequent deformation of the bottom of the tart.
Pro Tip: After preparing the crust, put the tray with the dough in the refrigerator while we prepare the filling for the pie. It is necessary to put the dough in the refrigerator to keep it cold. Otherwise, you may risk that the crust will deform.
Take a deep bowl in which it will be convenient for you to mix the stuffing mixture for the tart.
Break 6 eggs into the bowl, but put one yolk aside on another plate. We will use this yolk later to grease the top surface of the tart to give it a nice golden color.
Quick Note: Thus, in the large bowl, you must have 6 egg whites and 5 yolks. And a separate yolk, in another plate.
After breaking the eggs, dice the leek and the bacon. Then, put all the ingredients on top of the eggs and season with salt and pepper.
Quick Note: Be careful with the amount of salt because the bacon is already quite salty.
Now, mix the filling, but do not insist too much to make a homogeneous mass. It is enough to distribute the leek and bacon throughout the composition.
After you have the filling ready, spread the rest of the dough to form the lid of the pie.
Pour the pie filling into the pan.
Quick Note: It is important that the filling does not exceed the height of the edges of the dough. It would be preferable to keep some reserve so that you can stick the edges of the dough.
After pouring the filling, preheat the oven to 320°F (160°C).
After this, spread the dough over the baking dish, and cut off the excesses of dough. Then, stick the edges well with a fork, as shown in the image below.
Quick Note: Also, make a hole in the middle of the tart. This will allow the steam that will form during baking to escape. Otherwise, the tart may randomly break on the top.
After this, beat the remaining yolk that we left aside. With it, grease the top surface of the tart. This will give it a richer golden color, and the tart will bake more evenly.
Pro Tip: For added taste and texture, at this step, over the pie, you can sprinkle sesame seeds or other seeds mix that you prefer.
Bake the 4-ingredient pie for 50-60 minutes at 320°F (160°C).
Let the pie cool for 10-15 minutes to make it more convenient for you to cut it.
Serve it as is, or near a green salad.
🍽️ Serving Suggestions
Consider serving this 4 ingredient in bacon and egg pie for breakfast, or brunch served with a side of fresh fruit, toast, or hash browns for a complete meal. Also, you can serve it for dinner near a salad or soup for a satisfying filling meal.
Also, you can serve it on a picnic or potluck. Pack the pie into individual portions and take it with you on a picnic or to a potluck. It’s a great option for a crowd and can be served hot or cold.
🏆 Expert Tips. What to Pay Attention To?
- If you’re making your own dough from scratch, be sure to use cold ingredients. This will help ensure that the dough is flaky and tender, rather than tough and chewy.
- When whisking the eggs, be sure to use room-temperature eggs. This will help them cook evenly and prevent them from curdling or scrambling when added to the hot filling.
- Let the Pie Rest Before Serving: Once the pie is cooked, be sure to let it rest for a few minutes before slicing and serving. This will allow the filling to be set up and make it easier to slice.
Answering Your Questions:
Can I add cheese to the pie?
Yes, you can add shredded cheese such as cheddar or mozzarella to the pie for added flavor and texture. Sprinkle the cheese over the top of the egg mixture before baking.
Can I use a different type of meat instead of bacon?
Yes, you can use different types of meat such as sausage or ham instead of bacon. Cook the meat before adding it to the pie.
Can I use a different type of crust for the pie?
Yes, you can use a pre-made frozen crust or make your own crust from scratch using flour, butter, and water. Adjust the baking time as needed depending on the thickness of the crust.
📋 Recipe Card:
4 Ingredients Bacon and Egg Pie
- Spread the dough in a thin layer of about ⅒" and arrange it on a baking dish.1 lb Dough
- Remove the dough excessed outside of the baking dish.
- With a fork, make a few small identations at the bottom of the pan.
- Break 6 eggs into a bowl, but one egg yolk set aside. We will need it for later.6 Egg
- Cut the bacon and leek into small pieces.4.5 oz Bacon, 4.5 oz Leek
- Put them over the eggs. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well.Salt, ⅓ teaspoon Black Pepper
- Pour the pie filling in the baking dish.
- Spread the dough excesses that you removed in the firsts steps and cover the pie with it. Remove again all the excesses.
- Using a fork, stick the margins.
- Bake at 320°F (160°C) for about 50 minutes.
I highly recommend reading the entire recipe to find more tips and notes about this recipe. Read Full Recipe ⇑