These Sesame Sausage Rolls that are made with just 4 simple ingredients are perfect if you are looking for a quick and easy snack that is packed with flavor! The combination of savory sausage and nutty sesame seeds wrapped in flaky puff pastry is sure to satisfy your taste buds. You should give it a try!
Are you in the mood for something delicious, easy, and super quick to make? Well, look no further! I’ve got a recipe that will satisfy your taste buds and save you time in the kitchen.
With just four ingredients, this recipe is perfect for those who want to whip up something tasty in a hurry. You’ll need some sausages, puff pastry, sesame seeds, and ketchup. That’s it! I promise you won’t believe how simple it is.
The best part about this recipe is that it’s versatile. You can serve it as a snack, an appetizer, or even a main course. Plus, it’s the perfect party food, and your guests will love it.
You can use any type of sausage you like, but I recommend using pork sausages for the best flavor. Make sure to remove the casings before you begin.
Regarding the puff pastry, you can make your own if you’re feeling ambitious, but store-bought pastry works just fine.
Trust me, once you try these Sesame Sausage Rolls, you won’t be able to resist them. They’re crispy on the outside, juicy on the inside, and the sesame seeds add a nutty flavor that will leave you wanting more. And the ketchup? Well, let’s just say it adds a tangy kick that ties everything together.
🥰 Why You Will Love This Recipe?
- One of the best things about this recipe is how easy it is to make. With just four ingredients, you can have a batch of delicious, homemade sausage rolls in no time. Whether you’re in a rush or just don’t feel like spending hours in the kitchen, this recipe is perfect.
- These sausage rolls are perfect for any occasion. You can serve them as a snack, an appetizer, or even a main course. They’re also great for parties or potlucks since you can make a big batch and cut them into bite-sized pieces.
- The combination of crispy puff pastry, juicy sausage, and nutty sesame seeds creates a flavor that’s hard to resist. The pastry is light and flaky, while the sausage adds a savory richness. The sesame seeds add a nutty flavor and crunch that complements the other ingredients perfectly.
- All the ingredients for this recipe are affordable and easy to find at your local grocery store. You can even make it even more budget-friendly by using store-brand or generic ingredients.
- This recipe is easy to customize to your liking. You can use any type of sausage you like, whether it’s pork, beef, chicken, or turkey. You can also add your own spices or herbs to the mix to make it your own. Try adding some garlic powder, paprika, or even some chopped fresh herbs like thyme or rosemary.
🥘 Ingredients and Substitutes
- Puff Pastry: This is the flaky, buttery dough that encases the sausage. Some alternatives include:
- Pie Crust: It won’t be as flaky, but it will still be tasty.
- Crescent Roll Dough: This will have a softer texture.
- Phyllo Dough: This can give a flaky and crispy texture, but it’s a bit more delicate to work with.
- Sausages: The protein source in this dish. If you need to substitute, you could use:
- Ground Meat: Beef, chicken, or turkey could work well.
- Vegetarian Sausages: There are many plant-based options available these days.
- Chorizo: This would add a bit of a spicy kick.
- Ketchup: This adds a sweet and tangy flavor. If you don’t have it, you could try:
- BBQ Sauce: This will give a smoky sweetness.
- Tomato Paste: It’s more concentrated and less sweet, but it can work.
- Tomato Sauce: This will be less sweet and less tangy, but in a pinch, it can be used.
- Sesame Seeds: These add a bit of a nutty flavor and a nice crunch. Some alternatives are:
- Poppy Seeds: These have a similar size and appearance, but a different flavor.
- Chia Seeds: They are small and crunchy, but they don’t have as much flavor.
- Flax Seeds: These are a bit larger, but they can add a nice crunch.
👩🍳 Step-by-step Directions
As I used squared dough, I had to stretch each piece separately to obtain a longer strip. But if you buy the whole piece of dough, this will simplify your work. You will only have to cut it into narrower strips according to the desired width.
After that, grease the dough with ketchup, add the filling from the sausages, and roll the dough as in the image below. It the end, grease the surface of the dough with ketchup again and sprinkle a few sesame seeds over it.
Optionally, you can cut the rolls into smaller pieces to make them easier to serve.
Pro Tip: It will be easier for you if you will make the sausage rolls longer initially, and after you will roll them to cut the rolls to the desired width. This way you will save a lot of time, compared to if you initially cut the dough into small pieces and roll each roll separately.
Now, preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
Meanwhile, on the baking tray where you plan to bake the rolls, put a parchment baking paper to avoid the rolls sticking to the baking tray.
Arrange the rolls on the tray, and leave a little space between them, because during baking the sausage rolls will increase in volume and there is a possibility that they will stick to each other if you put them too close.
Cook them in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for about 30 minutes.
Our delicious sausage rolls are ready to be served and enjoyed!
🍽️ Serving Suggestions
- Ketchup is a classic option that pairs perfectly with these sausage rolls. You can serve it on the side for dipping or drizzle it over the top of the rolls before serving. You can also experiment with other sauces like barbecue sauce or sweet chili sauce.
- Mustard is another great condiment that goes well with sausage rolls. Dijon mustard, whole-grain mustard, and honey mustard are all popular options. You can serve the mustard on the side for dipping or spread it on the pastry before rolling the sausage.
- A fresh green salad is a great way to balance out the richness of the sausage rolls. You can serve a simple salad of mixed greens, cherry tomatoes, and cucumber, or get more creative with your ingredients. Try adding some roasted vegetables, crumbled feta cheese, or a vinaigrette dressing.
- Serving the sausage rolls alongside a bowl of soup is a great way to make a full meal. Tomato soup is a classic pairing, but you can also try other soups like minestrone, chicken noodle, or vegetable soup. The warm and comforting soup will complement the crispy and savory sausage rolls perfectly.
- These sausage rolls make a great addition to any brunch spread. You can serve them alongside scrambled eggs, bacon, and fresh fruit for a delicious and satisfying brunch. You can also try making a breakfast sandwich by slicing the sausage rolls in half and stuffing them with scrambled eggs and cheese.
- These sausage rolls are perfect for parties and gatherings. You can cut them into bite-sized pieces and serve them on a platter with toothpicks for easy serving. You can also get creative with your presentation by arranging them in a circle or making a sausage roll wreath.
🏆 Expert Tips. What to Pay Attention To?
- The sausage is the main ingredient in this recipe, so it’s important to use a good quality sausage with plenty of flavors. Choose sausages that are made with natural ingredients and have a high meat content. You can also experiment with different types of sausage to find your favorite.
- To prevent the sausage from falling out of the pastry during baking, it’s important to roll the pastry tightly around the sausage. Use a sharp knife or pastry cutter to cut the pastry into strips that are about 2 inches wide. Place the sausage at one end of the strip and roll it up tightly, making sure to tuck in the ends. This will also help the pastry to puff up nicely and create a beautiful golden crust.
- If you have time, chill the sausage rolls in the fridge for 15-20 minutes before baking. This will help the pastry to hold its shape and prevent it from unraveling during baking. It will also help the sausage to cook evenly.
- Before baking, brush the pastry with a beaten egg. This will give it a beautiful golden color and a shiny finish. It will also help the sesame seeds to stick to the pastry. Use a pastry brush to apply the egg wash evenly over the pastry.
- While it can be tempting to try and fit as much sausage as possible into each roll, be careful not to overfill the pastry. If there’s too much sausage, it may burst out of the pastry during baking. You want to have a good balance of pastry and sausage in each roll.
🤔 Answering Your Questions:
Can I Use a Different Type of Pastry Instead of Puff Pastry?
Puff pastry is recommended for this recipe since it creates a light and flaky crust. However, you can experiment with other types of pastry if you prefer. Shortcrust pastry or filo pastry can also work, but they may not be as flaky as puff pastry.
Can I Make These Sausage Rolls Ahead of Time?
Yes! You can make the sausage rolls ahead of time and store them in the fridge for up to 2 days before baking. Simply wrap them in plastic wrap or foil and keep them in the fridge until you’re ready to bake. Alternatively, you can freeze them for up to 3 months and bake them from frozen when you’re ready to enjoy them.
Can I Use Turkey or Chicken Sausage Instead of Pork Sausage?
Yes, you can use any type of sausage you like. Turkey or chicken sausage is a great alternative if you’re looking for a leaner option. However, keep in mind that different types of sausage may have slightly different cooking times and flavors, so adjust accordingly.
How Do I Prevent the Pastry From Getting Soggy?
To prevent the pastry from getting soggy, make sure the sausage is fully cooked before baking, and avoid overfilling the pastry. You can also bake the sausage rolls on a baking rack instead of directly on a baking sheet to allow air to circulate around them. Finally, try not to leave the cooked sausage rolls out in the open air for too long before serving, as this can also cause them to get soggy.
How Can I Make the Sausage Rolls Crispier?
Brushing the pastry with a beaten egg before baking will help to create a crisp and golden crust. You can also sprinkle some sesame seeds over the pastry for extra crunch. Additionally, make sure to bake the sausage rolls at the correct temperature and for the right amount of time, as under-baking can result in soggy pastry.
📋 Recipe Card:
Sesame Sausage Rolls from 4 Ingredients
- 1 oz Puff Pastry
- 21 oz Sausages
- 3 tablespoon Ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Sesame Seeds
- If is needed cut the dough into strips.1 oz Puff Pastry
- Arrange the dough on the table, grease it with ketchup and put the sausage filling in it.1 oz Puff Pastry, 3 tablespoon Ketchup, 21 oz Sausages
- Roll the dough, grease again with ketchup on the outside and sprinkle some sesame seeds over it.1 tablespoon Sesame Seeds
- If is needed, you can cut the rolls into smaller pieces to be easier to serve them.
- Preheat the oven and in the meanwhile, arrange the parchment paper on the baking tray.
- Put all the rolls in the baking tray and bake them at 350°F (175°C) for about 30 minutes.
I highly recommend reading the entire recipe to find more tips and notes about this recipe. Read Full Recipe ⇑
- The quality of the sausage will significantly impact the flavor of your sausage rolls. Consider using a high-quality, flavorful sausage.
- Keep the puff pastry cold while you’re working with it. This will help ensure that it bakes up flaky and crisp.
- Make sure your oven is fully preheated before you start baking. This will help the pastry puff up properly and will ensure that the sausage is fully cooked.