Low-carb and Keto-friendly Air Fryer Parmesan Zucchini Chips with garlic and chili flakes. This recipe will transform the neutral zucchini into a snack from heaven. These appetizers are ideal when you need to prepare something quick and delicious for your family or friends. Interested? Let’s get started!
If you tried to cook a few recipes in the air fryer, I’m more than convinced that the Air fryer will become one of your favorite kitchen tools. (Actually because of this reason, you see only the air fryer recipes on the blog the last time. From day 1 when I bought it, I’m making everything in the air fryer, including breakfast).
If you don’t own an air fryer yet, I highly recommend giving it a try. You will love it!
🥰 Why You Will Love This Recipe?
- This is a simple recipe and it cooks very quickly and easy.
- You will turn an ordinary vegetable into a delicious snack.
- You can serve it as an appetizer or as a side dish near other foods.
- You can always get new flavors using various spices.
- This is a keto-friendly recipe.
🏆 Tips for Success? How to Make It Better?
- Cut zucchini into slices of equal thickness. This will help us to cook them evenly and avoiding undercook some slices and overcook anothers. (The perfect thickness is 1/8″ (3-4mm) so you won’t dry them, nor will it take you too long to cook them.)
- Put the zucchini in a single layer in the air fryer basket and don’t overcrowd the air fryer basket. This will allow the hot air to circulate easily between the slices and will make them to be properly cooked on all the sides.
- If you need to prepare a larger portion, like I did, consider cooking the zucchini chips in a few batches for the best results.
🤔 How to Scale the Recipe up and Down?
This is a simple recipe, so increase or decrease the quantity of the ingredients by keeping the original proportions.
🥘 Ingredients Needed for This Recipe?
- 1 Large Zucchini
- 1 cupf of Permesan Cheese.
- 1/8 teaspoon of Chili Flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon of Granulated Garlic
🥦 Ingredients Swap?
- Zucchini. You could partially or completely replace them with other types of summer squash. You could also use the same recipe to cook eggplant chips with parmesan.
- Chili flakes. You could replace them with fresh chili pepper, or omit the chilies altogether.
- Granulated garlic. If you don’t have it, you can replace it with the fresh garlic.
- Parmesan cheese. You could replace it with another type of cheese that you like.
🍽️ Serving Suggestions
We enjoyed them as a snack with a tzatziki sauce, but they will go very well near some chicken drumsticks in the air fryer, Chicken Wings with Garlic and Herbs, Homemade Sausages or you can serve them near some seafood like Shrimps with Butter and Garlic
Cut zucchini into slices of equal thickness, ideally will be to cut them into about 1/8″ (3-4mm) if you prefer them to obtain a crispy texture. If you prefer the soft creamy zucchini in the middle and crispy on the top, consider cutting the zucchini into slices of about 1/4″
Quick Note: It’s important to cut all the slices into the same size because this will allow you to cook all the zucchini slices evenly.
After you have sliced all the zucchini, take a bowl and mix in it the cheese with the spices you prefer. I chose chili flakes and granulated garlic. Or you could avoid spices and use only parmesan.
Arrange the zucchini in the air fryer tray and sprinkle over them the parmesan and spices mix that we just did.
Preheat the air fryer and cook the zucchini slices at 400°F (200°C) for 6 minutes or until they will become golden brown.
Quick Tip: If you go crazy after cheese, consider cooking zucchini chips for only 4 minutes, then remove the air fryer basket and add even more parmesan. Return the air fryer basket, and cook the zucchini for the rest of 2-3 minutes. This will make them more crispy and cheesy.
The zucchini chips will be ready when they will obtain a golden color or they will have a crispy texture on the edge.
Quick Note: Please take into consideration that not all air fryers work in the same way. The way they heating may differ from one manufacture to another. Because of that, in the last minutes of cooking, put an eye on the zucchini and adjust the timings if is necessary. For this recipe, I used Cosori Air Fryer 5.8QT.
♻️ Storage and Heating:
Wait until the parmesan zucchini will cool down, put them in a well-closing container, and you can store them in the fridge for up to 3 days.
No. The frozen zucchini will mush when thawed. Use only fresh zucchini when you want to obtain crispy zucchini chips in the air fryer.
You can heat them into the microwave for about 1-2 minutes but the zucchini will soften down, so, I will recommend heating them in the preheated air fryer for about 2 minutes at 400°F / 200°C until they will become crispy again.
🤔Answering Your Questions:
Yes. There aren’t some ingredients that may harm you. Just keep in mind the amount of these snacks that you will eat. Actually, they are so tasty, that it is hard to stop eating them.
They are full of antioxidants, and they are rich in vitamins and minerals.
Consider slicing the zucchini even thinner, but this will make them very easy to dry and burn if you will set the timer for too long. Another option is to salt the zucchini slices on both sides and to leave them for about 10-15 at room temperature. By doing that we will pull the excess of the moisture out and as a result, the zucchini chips will be more crispy.
To note there: Take into account that parmesan cheese is also salted, and make sure you will not use too much salt.
📋 Recipe Card:
Air Fryer Parmesan Zucchini Chips with Garlic
- Cut zucchini into equally-sized thin slices.
- Mix the parmesan with the chosen spices.
- Arrange the zucchini slices in an even layer in the air fryer. Try not to overlap the slices.
- Sprinkle with parmesan and spices mix.
- Preheat the air fryer and cook the zucchini chips for 6 minutes at 400°F (200°C).
- Serve the parmesan zucchini chips near your favorite dish or sauce.
- The crispier you want the parmesan zucchini chips to be, the thinner you need to cut them. Keep in mind that the thinner they will be, the quicker they will cook and it will be easier to burn the. Adjust the timings accordingly.
- If you struggle to cut the zucchini into thin slices evenly-sized, consider using a Mandoline Slicer.