These quick Air Fryer Pizza Rolls are mini pizza rolls pockets filled with tomato sauce, grated mozzarella, chorizo, or pepperoni slices. Also, you can use your favorite pizza toppings. These snacks are very easy to make because we will use puff pastry, and all we will need to do is to make only the topping for these mini pizzas appetizers until they get a nice golden color.
These mini pizzas are perfect bite-sized snacks for a movie night. You can always keep a frozen puff pastry in the fridge and make unexpected these perfect pizzas rolls in your air fryer when you have guests.
This recipe is so fun to make, and the best part is that your kids will love these mini pizzas. To make these bite-sized pizza rolls in the air fryer, you must line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Next, spread the tomato sauce, dried oregano, and grated mozzarella cheese evenly, and optionally you can put a few basil leaves.
Roll the dough into a tube and cut it into slices about 1″ thick. This will allow us to cook all the ingredients properly without burning them. Cook the pizza bites in the air fryer for about 8-10 minutes at 375ºF (190ºC), and they are ready to be served.
🍽️ Serving Suggestions
Enjoy them dipped in tomato sauce or garlicky tzatziki sauce, or you can eat them as a snack.
🥰 Why You Will Love This Recipe?
- This quick recipe needs only 5 minutes of preparation and about 10-15 minutes of cooking in the air fryer.
- You can use store-bought pizza dough and pizza sauce. This will allow you to prepare these appetizers even faster.
- This recipe is super easy. You need to repeat only a few simple steps.
- These pizza rolls are bite-sized, so they are perfect for eating as snacks or for serving as appetizers.
- Your kids also will love this recipe.
🏆 Tips for Success? How to Make the Pizza Rolls Better?
- This is a healthy recipe made almost from scratch (excluding the dough). This can be handy if you plan to prepare the pizza roll bites for your kids, and you don’t want to cook the store-bought frozen pizza rolls where you don’t know what ingredients were used and how healthy they are actually.
- Don’t overcrowd the Air fryer basket. Leave some space so hot hair can easily circulate between the pizza rolls.
- Use perforated parchment paper. (You can take regular parchment paper and cut a few holes with scissors) This will help you to clean easier the air fryer basket later.
- Roll the dough tightly. This will help you avoid falling apart the filling from the dough when you will cut it into small slices.
- To avoid burning the pizza rolls, you can cover them with aluminum foil if they will start to get too much color.
- Take into count that cooking time may vary from one air fryer manufacturer to another. So, keep an eye on them at the last minute. Check the pizza rolls regularly to avoid burning them.
🤔 How to Scale the Recipe up and Down?
Quick Note: I’m using the Cosori Air Fryer 5.8QT. If you are using a smaller air fryer and you will want to prepare the same amount of pizza rolls, just cook them in a few batches.
This is a simple recipe, so increase or decrease the ingredients by keeping the same proportions. If you need to cook a larger amount of these mini pizza rolls, cook them in a few batches. Don’t overcrowd the air fryer basket.
🥘 Ingredients Needed for This Recipe?
- 1 pound of Puff Pastry.
- 1/2 cup of Pizza Sauce.
- 2/3 cups of Chorizo/Pepperoni Slices.
- 1 cup of Grated Mozzarella Cheese.
- 1 teaspoon of Dried Oregano.
- Optionally, Basil Leaves for decoration.
🧀 Ingredients Swap?
- Cheese. I used mozzarella cheese, but you can replace it with grated parmesan or cheddar cheese.
- Salami. I used chorizo slices, but you can also use pepperoni or another type of salami that you prefer to eat on the pizzas. Also, you can consider using a nice ham. Or you can skip all the salami and eat a delicious margarita mini pizza snack with just mozzarella and basil leaves. If you want a richer filling, you can add olive oil, bell peppers, mushrooms, eggplants, and so on. Just remember not to use too much of the filling because you will not be able to roll the dough.
- Pizza sauce. I used my delicious homemade tomato sauce for that. You can try to make your own (my recipe can help you on that) or just use canned or jarred pizza sauce. All of them will work fine for this recipe.
- Pizza Dough. I used frozen puff pastry, but you can also use store-bought pizza dough or make your own dough for the pizza.
- Basil Leaves. You can replace it with chopped parsley.
How to Make Frozen Pizza Rolls in Air Fryer?
If you plan to make packaged frozen pizza rolls like “Totinos”, preheat the air fryer to 375°F (190°C), place the frozen pizza rolls in a single layer, and cook them for about 6-8 minutes. Optionally, when it passes half of the time, you can remove the air fryer basket and flip the pizza rolls. After that, put them back into the air fryer and cook them for the rest of the time. Also, double-check the instructions on the back of the package because they may differ from one brand to another.
On a clean and dry surface, roll out the pizza dough or puff pastry, as in my case. Spread the pizza sauce evenly on the dough. Right after that, put on top chorizo or pepperoni salami slices, and optionally, add dried oregano for an extra taste. It is important to leave about 1-2″ on one side so that the filling does not flow when you roll the dough.
Check the image below (right side):
Right after that, add shredded mozzarella cheese. Also, you can now add a little bit of parmesan or cheddar cheese. For extra freshness, add a few pieces of basil leaves.
Also, if you decided to add a few more ingredients for the toppings, like is bell pepper, mushrooms, or eggplant, now is the right time to add them.
Quick Note: If you decide to add ingredients like mushrooms, consider that on cooking, the mushrooms will leave some water, and they will soften the dough if you put them on the dough as is.
If you are a big lover of mushrooms in pizza rolls, cook the mushrooms for a few minutes (you can use the air fryer for that) and after that, leave them for a few minutes for the liquid to drain from the mushrooms and only after that you can add them safely near the rest of the ingredients on the dough.
Do You Love Your Air Fryer?
Level up your experience even more with these air fryer accessories!
Roll the dough evenly and try to roll it as tightly as you can to avoid falling apart after you will cut the dough into slices.
Now, take a sharp knife and cut the dough tube into slices of about 1″.
The next step is optional, but it will help you clean the Air Fryer Basket afterward. As we used cheese, it will melt and will stick to the air fryer basket. To avoid that, I will suggest putting a perforated parchment paper. You can use something like this, or take regular parchment paper and cut some holes with scissors as I did.
Put all the pizza slices in the air fryer pan.
Next, set the air fryer temperature to 375ºF (190ºC) and cook the pizza rolls for about 8-10 minutes.
Quick Note: The air fryers’ working method may vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, and as these pizza rolls are bite-sized, it is very easy to burn them. Please keep an eye on them because in your case, they may need a few minutes more or less until they are cooked perfectly.
I will suggest cooking them for about 7-8 minutes, then every minute remove the air fryer basket and check how cooked are the pizza rolls. Check how melted the cheese is and how well the dough is cooked.
Quick Note: If you’re unsure if the mini pizza rolls have been cooking enough, remove one pizza roll and check on the bottom. If the dough on the bottom looks cooked, then they are done. If not, give them 1-2 more minutes.
If you see that the top of the pizza roll is browned enough already, but the bottom of the pizza still needs some more time, take an aluminum foil and cover the top of the pizza rolls. This should stop the process of burning the top of your pizza rolls.
After the pizza rolls have been cooked and they just obtained a rich golden color, you can put them on a plate and leave them to rest for a few minutes. You can serve them near your favorite sauce. Today, I served them with tomato sauce. You can pick something spicy, I highly recommend checking our homemade sweet and chili sauce. Also, a good fit for these mini pizza rolls will be to combine them near a garlicky tzatziki sauce.
♻️ Make Ahead, Storage and Heating:
Cover the pizza leftovers well with plastic wrap, put them in a well-closed container, and move them in the fridge. They can last for about 3 days in the fridge.
Yes! You can freeze both uncooked and cooked variants.
Put rolls in a well-closed container, and keep them in the freezer for up to 3 months. If you want to freeze the cooked pizza rolls, make sure they will cool down before moving them to the freezer.
A small note: label the date on the container so you don’t need to remember when you actually froze it.
You can warm up the refrigerated pizza rolls in a microwave for about 1 minute or in the air fryer at 350°F (180°C) for about 2 minutes.
You can heat the frozen pizza rolls in the air fryer at 370°F (180°C) for about 7 minutes. If they are still cold, add one-two more minutes.
🤔Answering Your Questions:
Yes, you can recreate the same recipe in the oven. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C) and bake them in the oven for about 15 minutes or until they get a nice-looking golden color.
You should cook the pizza rolls for about 10 minutes at 375ºF (190ºC). It all depends on how big you cut the pizza rolls and how your air fryer is working. But as a general rule, you should start from these numbers.
Other Air Fryer Recipes to Consider:
- Keto Sesame Chicken Legs in Air Fryer
- Spicy Keto Broccoli in Air Fryer
- Fried Eggs With Bacon and Tomatoes in Air Fryer
- Juicy and Easy Air Fryer Orange Chicken
📋 Recipe Card:
Homemade Air Fryer Pizza Rolls (Puff Pastry)
- 1. Roll out puff pastry or the pizza dough on a clean and plain surface.
- 2. Spread evenly with tomato sauce, add dried oregano over and on top of them, add chorizo or pepperoni salami.
- 3. Add the grated mozzarella cheese and aromatic herbs like basil leaves or minced parsley.
- 4. Roll the dough evenly and try to roll it as tightly as you can.
- 5. Take a sharp knife and cut the dough into slices of 1″ thick.
- 6. Put the pizza rolls slices on the air fryer basket and cook them for about 8 minutes at 375ºF (190ºC).
- 7. Check if they cooked enough, if not, add 1-2 more minutes.
- 8. Serve them near your favorite sauce or serve them as they are.
- Make sure that you rolled tightly so the filling will not fall apart when you will cut the dough into small slices.
- Don’t overcrowd the air fryer basket. Let the hot air circulate easily between the pizza rolls. If you need a larger amount of pizza rolls, consider cooking them in a few batches.
- If the pizza rolls are cooked enough on the top, but you see that the bottom still needs a few more minutes, just cover the top with aluminum foil. This will stop the process of burning the pizza rolls on the top.