Post was Updated on February 10, 2022
Find how to make the smashed baby potatoes in the air fryer that will be crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. They have a nice golden color an extra crispy texture that everybody will enjoy. You can serve them as a snack near a dipping sauce, or enjoying them near a piece of meat or fish.
Sure, you can make these smashed baby potatoes with only the boiled potatoes, a pinch of salt, and a little bit of oil, but if you want to get an extra mile, and to get impressed by how delicious they can be, consider adding a few aromatic herbs, spices and a little bit of hard cheese to get a nice crispy texture.
These crispy smashed baby potatoes are best when they’re hot, so consider cooking an exact amount that you will eat at once.
Pss, no matter how many potatoes you will cook, in the end, you will regret that you didn’t cook more anyway.
Yes, of course, this recipe is not the quickest way to prepare the potatoes because first of all you need to boil them, then cook once more time in the air fryer, but you should give it a try.
The steps are simple and very easy to follow.
I promise, you will enjoy this recipe and will cook more often. I can’t describe enough how crunchy and delicious they are.
👩🍳How to Make Smashed Potatoes?
- Boil the potatoes.
- Smash them carefully.
- Arrange them in the air fryer basket and season them with spices and aromatic herbs.
- Bake for 5-7 minutes.
- Sprinkle over them the grated cheese and bake for another 2-3 minutes.
🥰 Why You Will Love This Recipe?
- This is a great recipe if you have some leftovers of boiled potatoes.
- It is an easy and quick recipe.
- It’s flavorful and goes well with any main dishes.
- You can enjoy as is as a snack or appetizer.
🥘 Ingredients and Substitutes
- Potatoes. I used baby potatoes but you can use any type of potato you have on hand. If you want to get better results, pick some potatoes that have a thin shell. Usually, I love using the yellow potatoes for this recipe because they come out creamy, almost buttery.
- Rosemary. For me, the best spice to combine with potatoes is rosemary. But you can replace it with other aromatic herbs such as oregano, sage, thyme, or you can try using different mixes of aromatic herbs.
- Garlic. I used fresh garlic, but if you don’t have it under your hands, you can easily replace it with garlic powder. Also, you can add a little bit of onion powder for an extra taste.
- Cheese. I used the Gruyere Chees because it adds extra flavor, and the texture becomes more crunchy if you use a hard cheese like cheddar or gruyere. You can use any cheese you prefer, or you can omit this ingredient.
- Olive Oil. I used olive oil because it not only helps to brown the potatoes well but also gives them an extra taste and crispiness.
👩🍳 Step-by-step Directions
If you start the recipe from scratch, then wash well the potatoes and put the potatoes to boil. Add a pinch of salt to the water.
After the potatoes have boiled, let them dry out. Smash the potatoes gently with the bottom of a glass or other object that is convenient for you.
Quick Note: Be careful not to overdo it because they could crumble completely and you could not move them in the air fryer basket.
Now, move all the smashed baby potatoes in the air fryer basket.
Quick Note: Arrange them in a single layer to make sure that you don’t overcrowd the air fryer basket. If you need to cook for a larger amount of people, for the best results, consider cooking them in a few batches.
Season the potatoes with aromatic herbs and spices you prefer to use. Sprinkle with a little oil over the potatoes and bake them for 5-7 minutes at 400°F / 200°C.
After that time, remove the air fryer basket from the air fryer, and put over them a few slices of cheese. Also, you can use grated cheese.
Bake the baby potatoes for another 2-3 minutes or until the cheese melts.
Serve the potatoes as is, as a snack, or near the main course that you prefer.
🏆 Expert Tips. What to Pay Attention On?
- Use thin-shelled potatoes.
- Make sure you wash the potatoes well before boiling them.
- If you plan to serve them as a snack, use even smaller potatoes. They will look better.
- Also, if you plan to serve them as a snack, consider picking potatoes of different colors for a better looking.
🍽️ Serving Suggestions
Here are some suggestions with what you can serve these smashed baby potatoes:
Craving More Potatoes?
Here are some of my favorite recipes:
- Twice Baked Potatoes in Air Fryer
- French Homemade Parmentier Potatoes
- Air Fryer Potato Skins
- Sweet Potato Chunks in Air Fryer
- Oven-Baked Potato Wedges With Dill Sauce
♻️ Make Ahead, Storage and Heating:
If you want to make them ahead, then boil the potatoes ahead, and when you need to serve them, just cook them in the air fryer for 10 minutes and you will have a freshly cooked snack ready on your table.
Wait until they will cool down, then move them in an air-tight container and you can keep them in the fridge for up to 3 days.
I don’t recommend freezing the potatoes. Potatoes change their taste in the freezer.
You can reheat them in an air fryer at 400°F / 200°C for 4-5 minutes.
📋 Recipe Card:
Air Fryer Smashed Baby Potatoes
- If you start from scratch, then wash well and boil the potatoes.10 Boiled Baby Potatoes
- Crush the potatoes and arrange them in the air fryer basket in a single layer.
- Season the smashed potatoes with spices and aromatic herbs.1 teaspoon Rosemary, 2 Cloves Garlic, ¼ teaspoon Salt, 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- Cook them for about 5-7 minutes at 400°F / 200°C.
- Remove the potatoes from the air fryer and sprinkle them with cheese.2 tablespoon Gruyere Cheese
- Cook them for another 3 minutes or until the cheese will melt.