Are you looking for a way to make stuffed mushrooms without cream cheese in your air fryer? You found the right recipe. These stuffed mushrooms are made in an air fryer in under 30 minutes, but you can easily make them also in the oven. They are filled with breadcrumbs, garlic, parsley, mozzarella, and parmesan cheese. Quick and easy snacks for a family dinner or party with friends.
When we tried for the first time these bite-sized finger food, we couldn’t stop eating them. We remain impressed by the texture and the taste these snacks have. They are versatile and you can easily change or adjust the filling based on your guest preferences. You can add some bacon, replace the cheeses, or make a spicy variant and add some jalapeno peppers.
I love them to cook in the air fryer because the end result is crispier (more on that later), but for sure you can make the same recipe also in the oven. Just it will take a little longer.
I prepared these stuffed mushrooms without cream cheese multiple times for my family and friends and every time they were a hit. These appetizers are one of the snacks on the table that ends up among the first.
If you need to prepare a bigger amount, consider making them in the oven for a bigger portion.
But if you are cooking for some time in the air fryer, you know that it will get a crunchy texture that you can’t reproduce in the oven.
You need to choose what is more important for you. If timing, then go with the oven variant. If you want to get the best crispy texture, then the air fryer is your way.
🥰 Why You Will Love This Recipe?
- It’s an easy recipe to follow.
- The ingredients are budget-friendly.
- Easy to modify and personalize the taste by adding herbs or spices.
- Finger food appetizers in the quickest time.
🏆 Tips for Success? How to Make It Better?
- Don’t overcrowd the air fryer basket.
- Pick mushrooms that are similar in size. That will allow you to cook evenly all the mushrooms.
🤔 How to Scale the Recipe up and Down?
This is an easy recipe. Increase or decrease the ingredients proportionally. In case if you need to cook a bigger portion, consider cooking them in a few batches to cook the mushrooms evenly.
🥘 Ingredients Needed for This Recipe?
- 1 lb of Mushrooms.
- ½ cup of Parmesan Cheese.
- ½ cup of Mozzarella Cheese.
- ¾ cup of Breadcrumbs.
- 2 Garlic Cloves.
- 1 Medium Egg.
- ¼ cup of Chopped Parsley.
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil.
- Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Additionally, you can add chili peppers if you prefer spicy food.
🥦 Ingredients Swap?
- Mushrooms. You can use any size or kind of mushroom. As an idea, you can look for some larger ones and serve them as a vegetarian dinner, but not as bite-sized snacks. The main thing is to use mushrooms that have a hard cap and that will keep their shape.
- Cheeses. You can replace them with cheddar cheese or other cheeses that you prefer.
- Parsley. You can replace it with thyme, rosemary, or oregano.
- Garlic. You can use dried garlic instead.
- Add bacon. Additionally, to the filling that we made, add small pieces of fried bacon.
- Add minced beef. You can also add fried minced meat to the filling.
- Make it vegan. Replace the parmesan and mozzarella cheese with vegan alternatives, and instead of a raw egg, you can substitute it with soy milk and a little bit of starch to thicken it up.
🍽️ Serving Suggestions
You can serve the stuffed mushrooms at room temperature or warm appetizers. If you will use large mushrooms, you could serve them alone as a vegetarian dinner. Also, you can serve them near marinara sauce, sweet chili sauce, or tzatziki sauce.
Cooking the Filled Mushrooms in the Oven
You can follow the same recipe, and just use an oven instead of an air fryer. By cooking the mushrooms in the oven, you can cook them in a larger batch.
You need to preheat the oven and cook them for 20 minutes at 400°F (200°C).
The downside of the oven is that the mushrooms will cook for longer and they will not be as crunchy as in the air fryer.
Clean the Mushrooms.
First of all, we need to clean the mushrooms. For that, lightly rinse the mushrooms under cold water and wash any dirt that you may find on them. Strive to wash them as quickly as possible because they will absorb water like a sponge and will become mushy during the cooking.
Do You Love Your Air Fryer?
Level up your experience even more with these air fryer accessories!
Put them on a towel to drain the water and dry.
Quick note: You may find some advice not to wash the mushrooms, but I think that any vegetables should be washed before being eaten. Especially if you don’t know how they were grown and harvested.
After they have dried, remove the mushroom stem in such a way as to keep the whole cap and form a boat in which you can put the filling.
Pro Tip: To remove the mushroom stem more easily, move it carefully to the left-right until it will come away. If that does not help, you can use a teaspoon or small knife to sculpt the mushroom stems from the caps.
After you have cleaned and removed all the stems, it’s time to prepare the mushroom filling.
How to Make the Mushroom Filling?
For that, take a big bowl in which you can easily mix all the ingredients for the filling. Put the parmesan, mozzarella cheese, parsley, breadcrumbs, garlic cloves, black peppers, salt, and 1 raw egg. Mix all the ingredients well.
As a result, you will get a crumbly filler, but it should keep its shape when you contract it in your hand.
Make small filling balls and fill each mushroom. Arrange the filled mushroom in a single layer in the air fryer basket and cook them for 10 minutes at 400°F (200°C).
Quick note: The timing may differ from one air fryer to another because the power, the size, and the way they work may differ from one air fryer model to another. Because of that, in the last minutes, check the mushrooms regularly and adjust the timing if is needed to avoid burning and drying them. For this recipe, I used the Cosori Air Fryer 5.8QT.
In the end, you should get a nice golden color with a crunchy texture.
As I mentioned above, you can serve them as such, or near your favorite sauce.
♻️ Make Ahead, Storage and Heating:
You can make them a few hours ahead and serve them at room temperature.
If you have any leftovers, you can deposit them in a well-closed container and keep the filled mushrooms for 2-3 days in the fridge.
Heat them in the air fryer for about 3-4 minutes at 400°F (200°C).
Don’t recommend doing it. The mushrooms are high in water and when you will thaw them, they will become soggy. They are so easy to cook in the air fryer, why not make a fresh portion of them?
🤔Answering Your Questions:
Cook them in an air fryer at a high temperature: 400°F (200°C). Usually, the filled mushrooms become soggy because you cooked them for too long at a low temperature. More often we can get a soggy result when we will cook them in the oven. As the air fryer cooks the food very quickly because of the high air circulation, you will get crispy-filled mushrooms every time.
As they contain whole grain bread crumbs, this is not a good fit for the keto recipe. If you want to prepare the keto variant, replace the breadcrumbs with almond flour.
📋 Recipe Card:
Stuffed Mushrooms Without Cream Cheese
- Wash the mushrooms well and quickly and remove the stems to form a boat in which you can put the filling.
- Take a large bowl and mix in the ingredients for the filling. In my case, I mixed the parmesan, mozzarella cheese, parsley, breadcrumbs, garlic cloves, black peppers, salt, and 1 raw egg.
- Fill the mushrooms and arrange them on the air fryer basket.
- Cook the mushrooms at 400°F (200°C) for about 10 minutes.
- Serve them as such, or near your favorite sauce. A good fit will be a sweet chili sauce, marinara or tzatziki sauce.
- Use similar-sized mushrooms to make sure that all the mushrooms will be cooked the same.
- The filling must be crumbly, but when you squeeze it into your fist, it will keep its shape.
- Arrange the mushrooms in a single layer. Don’t overcrowd the air fryer basket.
- The cooking time may vary from one air fryer manufacturer to another. Because of that. in the last minutes, check the appetizers regularly to avoid burning them. Adjust the timing if is necessary.