Are you looking for a way to make stuffed mushrooms without cream cheese in your air fryer? You found the right recipe. These stuffed mushrooms are made in an air fryer in under 30 minutes, but you can easily make them also in the oven. They are filled with breadcrumbs, garlic, parsley, mozzarella, and parmesan cheese. Quick and easy snacks for a family dinner or party with friends.
Are you ready to embark on a culinary adventure that will tickle your taste buds? Today, I’m excited to share with you my recipe for “Stuffed Mushrooms Without Cream Cheese” – a mouthwatering dish that’s perfect for any occasion.
When we tried for the first time these bite-sized finger food, we couldn’t stop eating them. We remain impressed by the texture and taste of these snacks.
Now, I know what you’re thinking – stuffed mushrooms without cream cheese? How can that be possible? But trust me, with the right ingredients and a little bit of love, these stuffed mushrooms are going to be your new favorite appetizer.
We’ll be using plump and juicy mushrooms as our base, filling them up with a delectable mixture of breadcrumbs, mozzarella, parmesan, parsley, garlic, and a perfectly whisked egg. The result is a heavenly blend of flavors and textures that will have your guests begging for the recipe.
These stuffed mushrooms are versatile and you can easily change or adjust the filling based on your guest preferences. You can add some bacon, replace the cheeses, or make a spicy variant and add some jalapeno peppers.
But don’t worry, this recipe is easy to follow and can be whipped up in no time. Whether you’re hosting a dinner party or simply craving a savory snack, these stuffed mushrooms will hit the spot.
I love them to cook in the air fryer because the result is crispier (more on that later), but you can surely make the same recipe also in the oven. Just it will take a little longer.
I prepared these stuffed mushrooms without cream cheese multiple times for my family and friends and every time they were a hit.
These appetizers are one of the snacks on the table that ends up among the first.
If you need to prepare a bigger amount, consider making them in the oven for a bigger portion.
But if you are cooking for some time in the air fryer, you know that it will get a crunchy texture that you can’t reproduce in the oven.
You need to choose what is more important for you. If timing, then go with the oven variant. If you want to get the best crispy texture, then the air fryer is your way.
These stuffed mushrooms are a great way to add some variety to your appetizer repertoire, and they’re also perfect for those who are avoiding cream cheese or other dairy products.
So why not give them a try and see for yourself? I promise you won’t be disappointed!
So let’s get cooking, shall we?
🥰 Why You Will Love This Recipe?
- It’s an easy recipe to follow. Even if you’re not a seasoned cook, this recipe is simple to follow and doesn’t require any complicated techniques or equipment.
- The ingredients are budget-friendly.
- Easy to modify and personalize the taste by adding herbs or spices.
- Finger food appetizers in the quickest time.
- It’s a crowd-pleaser – whether you’re hosting a dinner party or bringing a dish to a potluck, these stuffed mushrooms are sure to be a hit with everyone.
🏆 Tips for Success? How to Make It Better?
- Look for firm, plump mushrooms with a good shape and size for stuffing. Cremini or portobello mushrooms work well for this recipe.
- Pick mushrooms that are similar in size. That will allow you to cook evenly all the mushrooms.
- Clean the mushrooms carefully: Use a damp paper towel or a mushroom brush to clean the mushrooms, making sure to remove any dirt or debris. Avoid washing the mushrooms under running water as they may absorb too much moisture and become soggy.
- Use fresh ingredients: Make sure your breadcrumbs, cheese, and herbs are fresh and of good quality. Stale breadcrumbs or cheese that’s been sitting in the fridge for too long can affect the taste and texture of the filling.
- Don’t overfill the mushrooms: While it’s tempting to stuff the mushrooms to the brim, avoid overfilling them as the filling may spill out during baking. Fill them about three-quarters of the way full.
- Don’t overcrowd the air fryer basket.
🤔 How to Scale the Recipe Up and Down?
This is an easy recipe. Increase or decrease the ingredients proportionally. In case if you need to cook a bigger portion, consider cooking them in a few batches to cook the mushrooms evenly.
🥘 Ingredients Needed for This Recipe?
- 1 lb of Mushrooms.
- ½ cup of Parmesan Cheese.
- ½ cup of Mozzarella Cheese.
- ¾ cup of Breadcrumbs.
- 2 Garlic Cloves.
- 1 Medium Egg.
- ¼ cup of Chopped Parsley.
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil.
- Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Additionally, you can add chili peppers if you prefer spicy food.
🥦 Ingredients Swap?
- Mushrooms. You can use any size or kind of mushroom. As an idea, you can look for some larger ones and serve them as a vegetarian dinner, but not as bite-sized snacks. The main thing is to use mushrooms that have a hard cap that will keep their shape.
- Cheeses. You can replace them with cheddar cheese or other cheeses that you prefer.
- Parsley. You can replace it with thyme, rosemary, or oregano.
- Garlic. You can use dried garlic instead.
- Add bacon. Additionally, to the filling that we made, add small pieces of fried bacon.
- Add minced beef. You can also add fried minced meat to the filling.
- Make it vegan. Replace the parmesan and mozzarella cheese with vegan alternatives, and instead of a raw egg, you can substitute it with soy milk and a little bit of starch to thicken it up.
🍽️ Serving Suggestions
You can serve the stuffed mushrooms at room temperature as a warm appetizers. Serve these stuffed mushrooms as an appetizer at your next dinner party or gathering. Arrange them on a platter with some fresh herbs and lemon wedges for garnish.
These stuffed mushrooms make a great side dish for roasted meats or grilled vegetables. Serve them alongside your favorite protein and some steamed greens for a complete meal.
Another great option for them is to use these stuffed mushrooms as a salad topping. Chop up the stuffed mushrooms and use them as a topping for a fresh green salad. The savory flavor and cheesy texture will add depth and richness to your salad.
If you will use large mushrooms, you could serve them alone as a vegetarian dinner. Serve these stuffed mushrooms with a side of roasted vegetables or a grain salad. The filling is hearty and satisfying enough to stand on its own as a main dish.
These stuffed mushrooms are also perfect for a weekend brunch. Serve them alongside some scrambled eggs, crispy bacon, and toast for a hearty and delicious meal.
Also, you can serve them near marinara sauce, sweet chili sauce, or tzatziki sauce.
Cooking the Filled Mushrooms in the Oven
You can follow the same recipe, and just use an oven instead of an air fryer. By cooking the mushrooms in the oven, you can cook them in a larger batch.
You need to preheat the oven and cook them for 20 minutes at 400°F (200°C).
The downside of the oven is that the mushrooms will cook for longer and they will not be as crunchy as in the air fryer.
Clean the Mushrooms.
First of all, we need to clean the mushrooms. For that, lightly rinse the mushrooms under cold water and wash any dirt that you may find on them.
Strive to wash them as quickly as possible because they will absorb water like a sponge and will become mushy during the cooking.
Put them on a towel to drain the water and dry them.
Quick note: You may find some advice not to wash the mushrooms, but I think that any vegetables should be washed before being eaten. Especially if you don’t know how they were grown and harvested.
After they have dried, remove the mushroom stem in such a way as to keep the whole cap and form a boat in which you can put the filling.
Pro Tip: To remove the mushroom stem more easily, move it carefully to the left-right until it will come away. If that does not help, you can use a teaspoon or a small knife to sculpt the mushroom stems from the caps.
After you have cleaned and removed all the stems, it’s time to prepare the mushroom filling.
How to Make the Mushroom Filling?
For that, take a big bowl in which you can easily mix all the ingredients for the filling. Put the parmesan, mozzarella cheese, parsley, breadcrumbs, garlic cloves, black peppers, salt, and 1 raw egg. Mix all the ingredients well.
As a result, you will get a crumbly filler, but it should keep its shape when you contract it in your hand.
Make small filling balls and fill each mushroom. Arrange the filled mushroom in a single layer in the air fryer basket and cook them for 10 minutes at 400°F (200°C).
Quick note: The timing may differ from one air fryer to another because the power, the size, and the way they work may differ from one air fryer model to another.
Because of that, in the last minutes, check the mushrooms regularly and adjust the timing if is needed to avoid burning and drying them. For this recipe, I used the Cosori Air Fryer 5.8QT.
In the end, you should get a nice golden color with a crunchy texture.
As I mentioned above, you can serve them as such, or near your favorite sauce.
♻️ Make Ahead, Storage, and Heating:
Can I Prepare Them Ahead?
You can make them a few hours ahead and serve them at room temperature.
How Long Do They Last in the Fridge?
If you have any leftovers, you can deposit them in a well-closed container and keep the filled mushrooms for 2-3 days in the fridge.
How to Reheat them?
Heat them in the air fryer for about 3-4 minutes at 400°F (200°C).
Can You Freeze stuffed mushrooms?
Don’t recommend doing it. The mushrooms are high in water and when you will thaw them, they will become soggy. They are so easy to cook in the air fryer, why not make a fresh portion of them?
🤔 Answering Your Questions:
How to Avoid Mushrooms Getting Soggy?
Cook them in an air fryer at a high temperature: 400°F (200°C). Usually, the filled mushrooms become soggy because you cooked them for too long at a low temperature. More often we can get a soggy result when we will cook them in the oven. As the air fryer cooks the food very quickly because of the high air circulation, you will get crispy-filled mushrooms every time.
Are These Stuffed Mushrooms Keto?
As they contain whole grain bread crumbs, this is not a good fit for the keto recipe. If you want to prepare the keto variant, replace the breadcrumbs with almond flour.
Can I Use a Different Type of Cheese in This Recipe?
Absolutely! While we recommend using mozzarella and parmesan cheese for this recipe, you can experiment with other types of cheese that you prefer.
Can I Substitute the Parsley With Another Herb?
Yes, you can substitute the parsley with another herb that you prefer, such as cilantro, basil, or thyme.
📋 Recipe Card:
Stuffed Mushrooms Without Cream Cheese
- 1 lb Mushrooms
- ½ cup Parmesan
- ½ cup Mozzarella
- ¾ cup Breadcrumbs
- 2 pieces Garlic
- 1 piece Egg Medium
- ¼ cup Parsley Chopped
- Salt To Taste
- Black Pepper To Taste
- Wash the mushrooms well and quickly and remove the stems to form a boat in which you can put the filling.
- Take a large bowl and mix in the ingredients for the filling. In my case, I mixed the parmesan, mozzarella cheese, parsley, breadcrumbs, garlic cloves, black peppers, salt, and 1 raw egg.
- Fill the mushrooms and arrange them on the air fryer basket.
- Cook the mushrooms at 400°F (200°C) for about 10 minutes.
- Serve them as such, or near your favorite sauce. A good fit will be a sweet chili sauce, marinara or tzatziki sauce.
I highly recommend reading the entire recipe to find more tips and notes about this recipe. Read Full Recipe ⇑
- Use similar-sized mushrooms to make sure that all the mushrooms will be cooked the same.
- The filling must be crumbly, but when you squeeze it into your fist, it will keep its shape.
- Arrange the mushrooms in a single layer. Don’t overcrowd the air fryer basket.
- The cooking time may vary from one air fryer manufacturer to another. Because of that. in the last minutes, check the appetizers regularly to avoid burning them. Adjust the timing if is necessary.
I made this over the weekend and it was so good! I couldn’t stop eating them. Thanks, Victoria!
Just tried to make them! They were soo delicious! My kids loved their crispiness! Thank you!
Awesome recipe! It was so easy to make and the flavors were amazing!
I’ve been searching for a good recipe for [dish] and this one exceeded my expectations. It was easy to make and the taste was amazing.
I made this recipe for a dinner party and it was a huge hit! Everyone loved the flavors and asked for the recipe.
Made these for Mother’s Day BBQ, quick and easy recipe and kids loved it. Many thanks.