Roasted sweet potato chunks that are crispy on the exterior, tender in the interior and you can make them much quicker than roasting them in the oven. The sweet potatoes are nutritious and you can enjoy them as a snack or combine them with almost everything. All you will need are a few simple spices and 17 minutes of your time.
Because sweet potatoes are so nutritious, and they contain a lot of fibers, potassium, vitamins, and beta-carotene, it’s a good idea to try to replace regular potatoes with sweet potatoes. At least to start consuming them more.
Also, I’m making this recipe when I need to prepare something for kids. I’m cutting them a little bit thinner than usual and the kids are enjoying the sweet potatoes as finger food.
🥰 Why You Will Love This Recipe?
- It is very easy to cook and you don’t need to use a lot of oil for this recipe.
- Potato chunks are a healthier alternative to the classic potatoes.
- You can serve them with any type of meat or fish.
- It’s a good option if you’re looking for a kid-friendly snacks or side dish.
If you love these sweet potato chunks, and you’re looking and for other side dish recipes in the air fryer, you will love also Carrot Fries in Air Fryer, Eggplant Fries, Spicy Broccoli in Air Fryer, or Zucchini Chips.
🏆 Expert Tips and On What to Pay Attention?
- Cut the sweet potatoes into equal-sized cubes. This will allow all the potato chunks will cook evenly.
- Don’t overcrowd the air fryer basket. Leave some free space between the potato cubes if you want to get evenly cooked potato chunks.
- You don’t need to boil the sweet potatoes before cooking them in the air fryer.
- Serve them right away after you cooked them. If you will leave them to rest and to cool down, they will loose their crispy texture and the potatoes will become soft.
🥘 Ingredients and Substitutes
- Sweet Potatoes. Pick whatever potatoes that are easier for you to find. Usually, the most common types that you will find in the stores are Garnet or Jewel Sweet Potatoes.
- Garlic. I used fresh garlic cloves. If you don’t have fresh garlic in the kitchen, you can easily replace it with dried garlic powder.
- Spices. I used dried oregano, chili flakes and chopped parsley. You can replace the dried oregano with rosemary, thyme or with a mix of Italian or Province spices. The chili flakes, you can substitute with black pepper, paprika or to omit them all together if you don’t like spicy food or if you cook the sweet potatoes for your kids.
- Ghee Butter. I used ghee butter because the end result is more flavorful. The ghee butter gives a light nutty aroma, is healthier than regular butter and also, you will get a creamier texture. But of course, if you don’t have ghee butter, you can substitute it with regular melted butter or to replace it with olive oil.
You can use the same recipe but cut the sweet potatoes in different shapes. You can make also the sweet potatoes fried or sweet potato wedges in the air fryer. Keep in mind that as thinner the potatoes will be, the cooking time also will reduce.
🍽️ Serving Suggestions
This recipe goes perfectly with any type of meat or fish. A few suggestions will be to serve them near a Stuffed Pork Roast, Chicken Leg Quarters in Air Fryer, Dorade Fish Fillet, or White Fish Fillet.
First of all, prepare the sweet potatoes. Wash and peel the potatoes. You can use a peeler to make the process easier.
Best Recipes to Try in The Air Fryer:
Now, cut the sweet potatoes into similar in size cubes and place them into a bowl in which it will be easy for you to mix them.
Pro Tip: If you are limited in time or you want to make them crispier, you can cut them thinner, like chunks of ½ of an inch. As I wanted them a little bit softer in the center, I cut mine into cubes of about 1″ in size.
After that, take two cleaned garlic cloves and crush them. Put the crushed garlic over the potato chunks.
Next, pour the dried oregano, hot pepper, salt, or other spices that you decided to use. Mix everything well so that all the potato chunks are evenly seasoned on all sides.
Arrange the potato chunks on the air fryer basket in a single layer and cook the potato cubes for 12 minutes at 400°F (200°C).
Quick note: Please take into consideration that the cooking time may differ from one air fryer model to another because the heating power, the air fryer basket shape, and size may be different. Another factor for a different cooking time may be the type of sweet potato that you used and how thin did you cut them. The timing of 12 minutes is for the Cosori Air Fryer 5.8QT and for the potato chunks that were cut 1″ in size. Because of that, in the lasts minutes of cooking, check how well are cooked the sweet potatoes and adjust the timing if is needed.
Do You Love Your Air Fryer?
Level up your experience even more with these air fryer accessories!
If you use a smaller air fryer or you need to make a larger portion of sweet potatoes, then consider cooking them in a few batches to ensure hot air circulation between the sweet potato cubes. This will allow the potatoes to cook evenly on all sides.
If you cook these sweet potatoes in a smaller air fryer, the cooking time will be shorter for a few minutes.
If you want the potato chunks to be even crispier, you can cook them for a few extra minutes.
In the end, you can add over the sweet potato cubes chopped parsley, or other aromatic herbs that you decided to use.
♻️ Make Ahead, Storage and Heating:
I do not recommend cooking the sweet potatoes ahead because they will soften and the taste will not be as good as right after you will cook them. As this is a simple recipe, consider cooking the potato chunks right when you will plan to serve them.
You can keep them for up to 2-3 days in the fridge.
Yes, you can, but if you want to get the best taste from your sweet potatoes, I recommend serving them freshly cooked.
You can reheat them back in the air fryer for about 3-5 minutes. Make sure not to reheat them too much because you risk drying them.
🤔Answering Your Questions:
As you may know, there are a lot of variations for sweet potatoes. Pick the one that will be easier for you to find in the stores. Usually, the most common types of sweet potatoes that you will find are Garnet or Jewel sweet potatoes.
The most important rule is to cut the sweet potatoes into similar in size chunks. This will allow you to cook all of the cubes evenly. If you prefer them crispier, you can cut them into chunks of ½ of an inch. As I wanted them a little bit softer in the center, I cut mine into chunks of about 1″ in size. Also, you can cut them into sweet potato wedges or even sweet potato fries. There isn’t a rule on how to do it properly. Pick the variant that will fit you the best. Keep in mind that as thicker you will cut them, the lower the cooking time will be.
It all depends on how thick you cut the potato cubes, the power, and the size of your air fryer. I cooked mines in the Cosori Air Fryer 5.8QT. For the sweet potato chunks of about 1″ thick, it was needed about 12 minutes to cook them evenly. If you have a smaller air fryer the cooking time will be less. Because of that, keep an eye on your air fryer basket and adjust the timing if is needed.
In the beginning, sprinkle a few more splashes of olive oil to avoid drying the potatoes and cook them for a few extra minutes.
The most important thing is to cut all the chunks of the same size and not to overcrowd the air fryer basket. If you need to prepare a bigger serving and it doesn’t fit into the air fryer basket at once in a single layer, consider cooking them in a few batches. Also, at half of the time of cooking, remove the air fryer basket, shake it, and put it back to cook the potatoes on another side.
When you’re planning to cook the sweet potato for your kids, consider cutting the potatoes into smaller cubes to be bite-sized chunks for them. So they can eat one by one. As you will cut the sweet potatoes smaller, also the cooking time will reduce. It will take you about 7-10 minutes. The timing depends on your air fryer size and how small you cut the potatoes.
Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C) and cook them for about 25-30 minutes.
For the best results, YES! If you are limited on time, you can cook the sweet potatoes with skins. In case if you want to leave the skin on sweet potatoes, don’t preheat the air fryer.
📋 Recipe Card:
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Chunks
- 1 lb Sweet Potatoes
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- ½ teaspoon Oregano
- 2 teaspoon Ghee Butter
- 1 pinch Parsley Chopped
- ⅛ tsp Chili Flakes
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into cubes of equal sizes.1 lb Sweet Potatoes
- In a bowl, put the potatoes, crushed garlic, ghee butter and spices that you decided to use. Mix everything well.1 lb Sweet Potatoes, 2 Cloves Garlic, ½ teaspoon Oregano, 2 teaspoon Ghee Butter, ¼ teaspoon Salt
- Put everything in the air fryer basket in one layer and cook them for 12 minutes at 400°F (200°C).
- In the end, over the potato chunks, sprinkle chopped parsley or other aromatic herbs that you decided to use.1 pinch Parsley
I highly recommend reading the entire recipe to find more tips and notes about this recipe. Read Full Recipe ⇑
- For the best results, don’t overcrowd the air fryer basket. Leave some space between the sweet potato chunks.
- Experiment with the seasonings for the potato cubes. Make them your own by using your favorite spices.
- If you prefer them crispier, cook them for a few extra minutes.
I made it twice this week now. They turned soo good! Easy, fast, & delicious!
Incredible! Made it with my 13 yr old nephew who is starting to enjoy cooking. He adores these potatoes!
I made these tonight and they turned out fantastic! I highly recommend
this was awesome . I wish I could upload my photo of this dish.
Oh wow…thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe. I made them for dinner tonight.
Delicious, thank you!
made this recipe for the gang and it was delicious! Thanks for posting it.
Cooked as the recipe. Really good. It was my trial run after getting an air fryer
I LOVE this recipe. So easy and so delicious.