Delicious and incredibly easy-to-make BBQ sauce that you can make in just 5 minutes. It uses as a base mayo, along with vinegar, brown mustard, horseradish cream, paprika, garlic, salt, and pepper. This sauce if very versatile, so serve it near your favorite piece of meat, or use it for the marinade.
Yes, you need to use mayo as a base for the sauce, but don’t let it stop you. At least, give it a try. You will get surprised by how tasty it is and how good it is in combination with a piece of grilled chicken or pork.
This is one of the recipes that I highly recommend trying at least once. But I’m sure that after you will try it, you will save this recipe in your recipe book. It’s hard to not fall in love with this delicious and simple-to-make BBQ sauce.
It gives you an ideal balance of flavors that will enhance the taste of the meat or vegetables.
I love making this Alabama white BBQ sauce because it is a little bit different from the other sauces that we are familiar with (that are using tomato or ketchup as a base).
Sure, you can go to the local grocer and buy one, but I will suggest making it your own because you know for sure the quality of the ingredients you are using, you can control the taste of the sauce and make it to your preferences.
As you can see from the name, this white BBQ sauce has its origins in Northern Alabama. It was created by Robert Gibson at Big Bob Gibson’s Bar-B-Q where he becomes popular for his white BBQ sauce. He used this sauce with vinegar and mayo in a barbecue sauce and served it with smoked chicken that was slow-smoked until it got a nice rich golden color. Everybody was going crazy to this combination.
👩🍳How to Make Alabama White BBQ Sauce?
- Prepare all the ingredients on the table.
- Pour all of them into a large bowl and mix them well until you will get a uniform composition.
- Adjust the taste to your needs.
- Serve as a dipping sauce or use it to marinate the meat.
🥰 Why You Will Love This Recipe?
- You will need only a few simple ingredients.
- All you need to do is to prepare all the ingredients and mix them in a single bowl.
- You can vary the taste of the sauce according to your preferences.
🥘 Ingredients and Substitutes
- Mayonnaise. I used a store-bought mayo, but of course, if you can and have the possibility, for a healthier variant, use homemade mayonnaise.
- Vinegar. I used apple cider vinegar, but you can replace it with any other white vinegar.
- Brown Mustard.
- Horseradish Cream.
- Garlic Powder. I used dried garlic powder because I plan to keep the sauce for longer. If you plan to use all the sauce in the same day, you can use fresh garlic.
- Black Pepper.
- Paprika. If you want a spicy sauce you could replace paprika with chili peppers or use smoked paprika for a slightly smoky taste.
🍽️ Serving Suggestions
This sauce became popular because it was served with smoked or grilled chicken. You can try this combination to understand better why it became so popular.
But our family like it so much, that we are using it with almost every kind of meat.
Also, this sauce is perfect to use for marinating meat, fish, and vegetables either for cooking in the oven or for grilling. Or why not, give it a try, and use it as a salad dressing?
👩🍳 Step-by-step Directions
Take a large bowl in which it will be comfortable for you to mix all the ingredients. Put all the ingredients in it.
Mix everything well until it becomes nice and uniform. Now is the time to taste it and to adjust the sauce according to your preferences.
Pro Tip: If you want to use it as a marinade do not hesitate to use a little more salt, because the ingredient you will marinate will absorb the salt it needs.
The sauce is ready to be served near your favorite piece of meat or used as a marinade.
😻 Other Sauce Recipes You May Enjoy
- Homemade Honey Dill Sauce
- 4 Ingredient Sweet And Sour Sauce
- Rosatella Sauce (Pink Sauce)
- Marinara Tomato Sauce From Fresh Tomatoes
- Homemade Sweet Chili Pepper Sauce
♻️ Make Ahead and Storage:
Can I Prepare the Alabama White Sauce Ahead?
You can prepare this sauce ahead and keep it in a tightly closed container for about 10 days in the fridge. As I said, in this case, you should use garlic powder, but not fresh garlic cloves.
📋 Recipe Card:
White BBQ Sauce (Alabama White Sauce)
- Take a large enough bowl and put all the ingredients in it.¼ cup Mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon Vinegar, ¼ teaspoon Brown Mustard, ½ teaspoon Horseradish Cream, ⅛ teaspoon Salt, ⅙ teaspoon Garlic Powder, ⅛ teaspoon Black Pepper, ⅛ teaspoon Paprika
- Mix everything well.
- Taste the sauce and adjust to your preferences.
- Serve near your favorite piece of meat, or use as a marinade.
I highly recommend reading the entire recipe to find more tips and notes about this recipe. Read Full Recipe ⇑