Rich & creamy vegetarian cauliflower potato leek soup that is very flavorful, delicious, and healthy. Check out this refreshing mid-week dinner soup that is made only from 8 simple ingredients that will surprise you with how tasty it is. The best part? It will take you less than 45 minutes to make this flavorful soup.
I think many of us are familiar with the traditional leek potato soup from childhood. I’m remembering my mother cooking it for me with some crunchy homemade garlic bread.
Now, imagine the traditional potato leek soup in which we will add an extra flavor and creamy texture by adding cauliflower into this mix.
The pureed cauliflower texture makes the soup so rich and heavy! Don’t forget — you can always add some extra calories with bacon or chicken.
What I love about the creamy soups is that the only limit is your imagination. You can add or remove any ingredients that you want.
You can add some extra cheese or some other vegetables.
This soup will be good with anything!
If you made this soup, please share in the comments below how it turned out. It really makes me happy to get feedback from you!
Let’s get started!
- 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil.
- 2 tablespoons of Butter.
- 2 ½ cups of Leek.
- 5 cups of Cauliflower.
- 3 ½ cups of Potatoes.
- 2 tablespoons of Parmesan. Or you can replace it with any other cheese you prefer. A cheese with a stronger aroma would also fit perfectly. For example gorgonzolla.
- 3 tablespoons of Sour Cream. You can replace it with whipped cream. If you use whipped cream, you will get a sweeter taste because sour cream offers a little acidity.
- 1 teaspoon of salt, or to taste.
How to Make Cauliflower Leek Potato Soup:
Take a deep and large pan, heat it up, and put the oil and butter in it.
When the butter has melted, add the leeks and cook it until it will become soft. This will take about 3 minutes.
When the leeks have softened, add the potatoes, and salt, and mix well with all the vegetables. Cook all vegetables for another 2 minutes on medium heat.
After that, pour boiling water over all our ingredients. Set medium heat and let the vegetables boil until the potatoes are almost ready. This will take about 10 minutes but may differ depending on the type of potatoes you will use.
When the potatoes are almost ready, add the cauliflower.
Let the cauliflower boil for about 7-8 minutes on medium heat.
When the cauliflower has softened, blend the soup until you get a homogeneous consistency.
After that, turn off the heat and add the sour cream and cheese you decided to use. In my case, I used parmesan.
Mix well and our cauliflower leek potato soup is ready to be served.
This creamy soup would go great with something crunchy. For the addition of taste, and texture add some croutons (maybe with garlic?) or an interesting combination would be some fried bacon. Also, you can serve it with a delicious focaccia Genovese or with a few slices of delicious rosemary parmesan bread.
It would also be good to sprinkle the soup at the end with Extra-Virgin Olive Oil for extra flavor.
Today, I used only a little black pepper and some croutons.
Answering Your Questions:
Can I use a different type of cheese instead of parmesan?
Yes, you can substitute parmesan with another type of cheese that has a similar texture and flavor profile. Some good alternatives include Pecorino Romano, Grana Padano, or Asiago. However, the taste of the soup may vary slightly with a different cheese.
How can I make this soup chunkier or smoother?
The texture of the soup can be adjusted according to personal preference. For a chunkier soup, blend only half of the soup and mix it back in with the remaining unblended soup. For a smoother soup, blend the entire mixture until completely smooth, using an immersion blender or a countertop blender in batches.
Can I make this soup vegan?
To make this soup vegan, substitute the butter with a plant-based alternative such as olive oil or vegan butter. Replace the parmesan with a vegan cheese or nutritional yeast, and use a dairy-free sour cream alternative. Ensure that the vegetable broth you use is also vegan.
Can I add other vegetables or proteins to this soup?
Yes, you can add other vegetables such as carrots, celery, or bell peppers for extra flavor and nutrition. If you want to add protein, consider adding cooked and shredded chicken, diced ham, or even chickpeas or white beans. Just make sure to adjust the cooking time and liquid amount accordingly.
😻 Other Soups Recipes You May Enjoy
- Vegetarian Beet Soup (Ukrainian Borscht)
- Easy 4 Ingredient Pumpkin Soup
- 4 Ingredient Chicken And Corn Soup
- Easy 3-Ingredient Potato Soup
- Romanian Meatball Soup
Cauliflower Leek Potato Soup
- Take a deep pan, put oil and butter in it.1 tablespoon Olive Oil, 2 tablespoons Butter
- When the butter has melted, add the leeks and cook it until it will become soft. This will take about 3 minutes.2 ½ cups Leek
- When the leeks have softened, add the potatoes, salt, and mix well all the vegetables. Cook all vegetables for another 2 minutes.3 ½ cups Potato, 1 teaspoon Salt
- After that, pour boiling water over all our ingredients. Set medium heat and let the vegetables boil until the potatoes are almost ready. This will take about 10 minutes but may differ depending on the type of potatoes you will use.
- When the potatoes are almost ready, add the cauliflower and let them boil for about 7-8 minutes on medium heat.5 cups Cauliflower
- When the cauliflower has softened, blend the soup until you get a homogeneous consistency.
- Turn off the heat, add the sour cream and cheese you decided to use. In my case, I used parmesan.3 tablespoons Sour Cream, 2 tablespoons Parmesan
- Mix well all the ingredients. Our cauliflower leek potato soup is ready to be served.
I highly recommend reading the entire recipe to find more tips and notes about this recipe. Read Full Recipe ⇑