We decided to cook today a delicious burger. Yes, we know that we are trying to eat as healthy as possible, but let’s be honest. We all have moments when we want to eat something a little fatter. Let’s find the golden middle and make a delicious burger that our taste buds will get in love with, and our bodies will not be offended by what we are eating.
As long as we don’t eat burgers daily, there’s nothing wrong with them.
So, for that recipe, we will use beef meat that we will spice with salt, pepper, and mustard. Because it’s fat-free meat, we will add a little olive oil to make the meat juicier.
What burger buns to use?
Shortly: Use your favorites. If you will buy them from grocery stores, pay attention to the ingredients. Try to find the healthier ones that you can find. We decided to go a little further and cook our own burger buns to be sure that it doesn’t contain any unhealthy additions. If you want to go after our hand, take a look at this recipe on how to make your own homemade burger buns. You will not regret it.
After you will try this easy recipe for burger buns, you will not use anymore any after-market buns.
Mayonnaise and other unhealthy sauces, of course, we give up and will replace them with something healthier. As we make the burger at home on the hob, but not on the grill, we used some fine slices of bacon to obtain a taste of smoked meat. If you make the burgers on the grill, you can ignore the bacon and obtain a more fat-free recipe.
The secret of this delicious homemade burger is in using caramelized onion. If you don’t know how to prepare for it, we have already a recipe on our blog for the Caramelized onions which will give our burgers a special taste.
By using the caramelized onions, we will obtain a sweet taste, slightly sour, and a plus of succulence. And the best part here, that is doesn’t contain as many calories as cheeses (which I adore) but in combination with meat, I will prefer using vegetables instead of dairy products.
I can recommend serving this burger near some potato wedges. If you’re looking for a delicious recipe, check our recent recipe of how we are making the Oven-Baked Potato Wedge with Dill Sauce. Or if you have kids, surprise them with some Parmentier potatoes.
Let’s start the cooking process.
OUR FAVORITE AIR FRYER
COSORI Air Fryer Pro
Having used the previous model of the Cosori air fryer for all my recipes on the blog, and recently upgraded to this one. It is a must-have addition to any kitchen that aims for healthier and tastier meals.
What Ingredients will you need for a delicious homemade burger?
- 1.1 lbs (500 g.) of ground beef.
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 12 slices of bacon
- Caramelized onions
How to cook a delicious homemade burger
First of all, we will need to marinate our ground meat by adding mustard, salt, pepper, and olive oil.
Leave the meat at room temperature to marinate for at least 30 minutes. The meat needs to reach the temperature of the room. If we will put the cold meat into the pan, will lose too much juice and the meat will become dry. This step requires some patience. When the meat will reach the right temperature, we can go to the next step.
Use a non-stick pan without any oil and put the slices of the bacon on a cold pan at low heat. By doing that, we will remove from the bacon all the excessive fat that we don’t need.
Let them cook over low heat until the bacon will become browned and crunchy.
When the bacon is done, move it to the plate with towels to absorb a part of the fats. It’s important not to clean the pan where you fried the bacon. We will need this pan for the latter.
Let’s return to the meat. Take the meat and divide it into 4 parts. From 1.1 pounds (500g) of ground meat, we will obtain 4 medium burgers. It’s important to make the burgers a little bigger than our burger buns because when we will cook them, they will shrink considerably.
A little secret for those who are making the burger at home on the hub, and want to give the meat a grilled taste: Fry the meat in the pan where we fried the bacon earlier. Take again this pan and remove from it the excess fats but don’t clean at all the pan. Now put our burgers in this pan and cook them at low heat. By doing this, our meat will obtain a grilled taste.
After we browned the burgers on both sides for 3 minutes, we put them on a plate and let them rest for a while.
Quick note: Keep in mind that if you will leave the meat alone for too long, all the juice from the meat will go and it will become dry.
In the meantime, if you baked the burger buns at home, cut them in half, and move them to the assembly.
On the bottom part, put the meat:
Then over the meat put the caramelized onions:
Then 3 slices of bacon:
Take the top of the burger bun, grease it with ketchup, and cover with it our burger. Additionally, you can add cheese, pickled cucumbers, and your favorite dipping sauce.
How to Make a Delicious and Healthy Burger at Home
- Marinate the meat by adding mustard, salt, pepper and olive oil to it.
- Leave the meat at room temperature to marinate for at least one hour. It is important for the meat to reach the temperature of the room. If we will put it cold on the pan will lose too much juice and become dry. This step requires some patience. When the meat will have the right temperature, we can go to the next step.
- Take the slices of the bacon and put them on a cold pan. Let them cook over low heat. By doing that, we will remove from the bacon all the fat that we don’t need.
- Prepare a plate and cover it with the paper towels. When the bacon will be done, take it from the pan and put it on the plate to absorb a part of the oil and fat.
- Let’s return to the meat. Take the meat and divide it into 4 parts. From 1.1 pounds (500g) or ground meat, we will obtain 4 medium burgers. It’s important to make the burgers a little bigger than our burger buns, because when we will cook them, they will shrink considerably.
- Return back to the pan where you fried the bacon. If we have too much fat in the pan, remove the excess from it. Now put our burgers in this pan and fry them.
- After we browned the burgers on both sides for 3 minutes, we put them on a plate and let them rest for a while.
- In the meantime, cut the burger buns in the middle, grease the top with ketchup, and move to the assembly.
- On the bottom part, put the meat, then over it put the caramelized onions. Then 3 slices of bacon and cover everything with the top part of the burger bans which is already greased with ketchup.
- Big appetite!
I highly recommend reading the entire recipe to find more tips and notes about this recipe. Read Full Recipe ⇑