Quick and easy way how to cook frozen asparagus in the air fryer in just 15 minutes. It is healthy, easy to make and it is keto-friendly. You can cook it directly from frozen and experiment with spices. Serve as is, with a squeeze of lemon or grated parmesan.
Today’s recipe is for all the asparagus lovers out there who crave a quick and easy way to cook this delicious vegetable. If you’re anything like me, you want your asparagus to be crisp, tender, and full of flavor. And guess what? I’ve got just the recipe for you!
We all know that asparagus is full of vitamins and we need to eat it more often than we do.
Sure, if the outside is spring it’s not a problem to take a punch of fresh asparagus, but what to do the rest of the year?
And today, I have a solution for you. If we are not in season, you can go to the store, to buy a few packages of frozen asparagus and keep them in the fridge.
When you will need to serve something delicious and healthy on the table, just take one of those bags with frozen asparagus and follow this easy recipe.
This recipe is all about using frozen asparagus and turning it into a mouth-watering dish in no time. With just a handful of ingredients – melted butter, garlic, salt, and pepper – we’ll show you how to take your frozen asparagus from bland to grand.
We will use a little bit of butter, garlic, salt, and pepper. That’s it. Asparagus has such a thin taste that I don’t want to cover it with anything.
But wait, there’s more! We’ll be cooking our asparagus in an air fryer, which means you’ll get that crispy texture without any fuss. This kitchen gadget is a total game-changer and makes cooking veggies a breeze.
This recipe is perfect for those who follow a keto diet, you can serve it with a sauce based on sour cream or mayonnaise.
So, whether you’re a seasoned chef or a newbie in the kitchen, this recipe is perfect for anyone who wants to create a tasty and healthy side dish in under 20 minutes. Trust me, once you try this Asparagus in Air Fryer (From Frozen) recipe, you’ll be hooked.
🔖 What You Will Find in This Post?
- Why you don’t need to defrost the asparagus.
- How to avoid the bitter taste of cooked garlic.
- How to store any leftovers of asparagus after you will cook it.
👩🍳How to Cook the Frozen Asparagus in Air Fryer?
- Cook the asparagus directly from the freezer for about 10 minutes.
- Prepare the seasoning sauce.
- Pour the seasoning sauce over the asparagus and mix everything well.
- Cook the asparagus for another 3-4 minutes.
- Serve as is or near your favorite meat or fish.
🥰 Why You Will Love This Recipe?
- This is a perfect recipe for those who have asparagus reserves in the freezer.
- It cooks very easily and quickly. This recipe takes less than 20 minutes to prepare, making it perfect for busy weeknights or when you’re short on time.
- It is a light and healthy garnish that you can combine with a lot of dishes.
- Asparagus is packed with nutrients and vitamins, making it a great addition to any meal. Plus, cooking it in an air fryer means you’ll get that crispy texture without any extra oil.
- Frozen asparagus is often more affordable than fresh, making this recipe budget-friendly.
- This recipe is simple and easy to follow, making it great for those who are new to cooking or who want to try out their air fryer.
🥘 Ingredients and Substitutes
- Frozen Asparagus. You can replace it with fresh asparagus. In that case, you should reduce the cooking time. You can also follow the same recipe for the frozen green beans, as they will have a similar texture and cook time. Also, you will get delicious results with frozen broccoli or frozen zucchini. In the last case, you will get a softer texture and a milder flavor.
- Melted Butter. I used melted butter as it goes well with asparagus, and it adds richness and helps the asparagus to brown in the air fryer. But if you want a vegan recipe, replace the butter with olive oil, or avocado oil.
- Garlic. I used fresh garlic because it is more flavorful, but of course, you can replace it with garlic powder or if you don’t like garlic. In that case, use ⅛ teaspoon of powder garlic for each clove of garlic. Another option is to use minced garlic, which you can find in jars at the grocery store. Use ½ teaspoon for each clove. Or you can omit it altogether.
- Seasoning. I used only a simple mix of salt and pepper because the asparagus has a fine taste and I didn’t want to cover it with strong spices. This simple mix will enhance the flavor of the asparagus. If you want to go further, you can substitute the black pepper with white pepper for a milder, less visible pepper, or cayenne pepper for a spicy kick.
Quick Note: Please note that any substitutions may alter the flavor and texture of your final product.
👩🍳 Step-by-step Directions
Put the asparagus immediately removed from the freezer in the air fryer basket and cook it for about 10-12 minutes at 400°F / 200°C.
Quick Note: Cooking time may differ on the amount of asparagus you cook, how big they are, and your air fryer model. In my case, I cooked the asparagus for 12 minutes in the Cosori Air Fryer 5.8QT. Also, keep in mind that we don’t cook till the end. After we will season the asparagus, we will cook it for another 3-4 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare the seasonings for the asparagus. Pour the melted butter into a bowl, grind the garlic over it, and season everything with salt and pepper.
After the timer ended on the air fryer, move the asparagus into a large bowl and pour over it the sauce with the seasonings that we just did.
Mix well all the asparagus to make sure that all the pieces of asparagus are covered evenly with seasonings.
Return the asparagus back to the air fryer and cook for another 3-4 minutes at 400°F / 200°C.
The asparagus is ready to be served. It is good to serve both hot and cold.
🏆 Expert Tips. What to Pay Attention To?
- Don’t let the asparagus thaw, it will become soft and unappetizing. Cook it from frozen.
- In case if you will use garlic, season the asparagus at the end of the cooking time, otherwise, the garlic could burn and you will get a bitter taste.
- You could sprinkle the seasoned asparagus with a little Parmesan cheese you will get an even more delicious taste.
- Be sure to space out your asparagus so that they have room to cook evenly. Overcrowding the basket can lead to uneven cooking and soggy asparagus. If you have a larger quantity of asparagus, it will be better if you will cook them in a few batches for the best results.
- Use melted butter. Melted butter will help the seasoning stick to the asparagus and give it a nice flavor. You could also use olive oil if you prefer.
- Don’t be afraid to season your asparagus generously with salt and pepper. Asparagus can be bland on its own, so seasoning is key to making it delicious.
- Preheating the air fryer for a few minutes before cooking can help the asparagus cook evenly and quickly. Not all air fryers require preheating, so check your model’s instructions.
- Halfway through the cooking time, shake the air fryer basket to ensure the asparagus cooks evenly on all sides.
- Depending on the size of your asparagus, the cooking time may vary. Thinner asparagus will cook faster than thicker ones. Start checking for doneness a bit earlier than the recipe suggests to avoid overcooking.
🍽️ Serving Suggestions
This is a healthy and tasty garnish that you can serve with any kind of meat or fish. Another great idea is to serve it with a poached egg and you would get a perfect breakfast.
Here are some recipes that would be perfect with this asparagus:
Fried Eggs With Bacon and Tomatoes in Air Fryer
If you want to add a fresh touch to your cooked asparagus, consider finishing with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice or a sprinkle of freshly grated Parmesan cheese right after they come out of the air fryer. This can elevate the flavor profile of the dish.
🤔 Answering Your Questions:
Can I Use Fresh Asparagus Instead of Frozen?
Yes, you can definitely use fresh asparagus for this recipe. Just adjust the cooking time accordingly, as fresh asparagus will cook faster than frozen.
Can I Use a Different Seasoning?
Yes, feel free to experiment with different seasonings to suit your taste. Some other options include lemon pepper, garlic powder, or smoked paprika.
Do I Need to Thaw the Frozen Asparagus Before Cooking?
No, you can cook the asparagus directly from frozen. Just be sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly, as frozen asparagus will take a bit longer to cook than fresh.
Can I Cook This Recipe in the Oven Instead of an Air Fryer?
Yes, you can definitely cook the asparagus in the oven instead of an air fryer. Preheat your oven to 400°F (205°C) and roast the asparagus for 10-15 minutes or until tender and crispy.
📋 Recipe Card:
Quick and Easy Frozen Asparagus in Air Fryer
- Bake the asparagus directly from the freezer for 10-12 minutes at 400°F / 200°C.15 oz Frozen Asparagus
- Prepare the garlic butter sauce and season with salt and pepper.2 tablespoon Melted Butter, 2 Cloves Garlic, ⅛ teaspoon Salt, ⅛ teaspoon Black Pepper
- Season the asparagus with the sauce we just made.
- Put back the asparagus to cook for another 4 minutes.
- Enjoy it as is, or serve as a side dish near your favorite piece of meat or fish.
I highly recommend reading the entire recipe to find more tips and notes about this recipe. Read Full Recipe ⇑
- Season the asparagus in the end, otherwise, you risk burning the garlic and you may get a bitter taste.
- Don’t overcrowd the air fryer basket. If you need to cook a larger amount of asparagus, consider cooking it in a few batches for the best results.
Can’t wait for you to give this recipe a try and enjoy the delightful flavors of air-fried asparagus! Please feel free to share your experience in the comments section. We’d love to hear how it turned out for you!