Give a try this whole wheat hamburger buns recipe in which I will give you a lot of details on how to make some perfectly cooked hamburgers buns. To make them even healthier, we will replace the all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour. Interested? Let’s dive in!
If you have ever tried to cook a burger at home, you probably know that buns from the supermarket are not tasty at all. They are very bloated and rubbery. They are made of a quantity of baking powder. Usually, there is no oil in the pastry at all.
Moreover, I also replaced some white flour with whole-wheat flour to increase the intake of healthy carbohydrates that we consume.
If you want a truly delicious homemade burger, I highly recommend spending some extra time making your own burger buns. You will get in love with the results.
Home baking is always more tasty and fresh.
I want to share with you the most delicious recipe for burger buns I have ever tried!
These rolls have become truly my favorites!
Best Recipes to Try in The Air Fryer:
I cooked them many times (both for burgers and many sandwiches) and they are always perfect.
Moreover, it is very convenient to take these buns for a picnic! Your children will be happy.
My favorite part of this recipe is the fantastic smell throughout the house of freshly baked bread. Let’s get started!
When I removed these goodies from the oven, I admit that I couldn’t resist the temptation to try one.
Quick note: I prefer to make the burger buns not too sweet. So, I used less sugar in the dough than usual, but if you want to make the burger buns a little sweeter, you can increase the amount of sugar.
For those who wonder how I make these burgers at home, I published our recipe on the blog.
Do You Love Your Air Fryer?
Level up your experience even more with these air fryer accessories!
- 1 ¾ cups (200 g.) of whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ cups (300 g.) of all-purpose Flour
- 0.25 oz (7 g.) of dry yeast
- 1 ⅓ Cups (320 ml.) of water
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
First of all, you should bring all the ingredients at the same room temperature. Get ready all the ingredients: all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, dry yeast, sugar, salt, warm water (100.4°F / 38°C), and the Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
Quick Note: For the yeast, please read the instruction on the yeast package, because every manufacturer, recommends a different quantity of yeast for one pound of flour.
After we have ready all the ingredients, let’s get to the process. Take a bowl, and put all the dry ingredients into it.
Add the warm water. Mix all the ingredients for 15 minutes.
After that, add 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.
Mix the dough again until the olive oil is absorbed in totality by the dough.
On the table where you plan to work, pour a little bit of olive oil to avoid gluing the dough to the table. Now, take the dough from the bowl, and move it to the table that you just oiled. Form one big ball of dough.
After that, divide the dough into two parts, and after that, each half divide into 3 parts. So you need to have 6 parts in total if you want regular burger buns.
If you’re going to make smaller buns, divide the dough into 8 pieces. Keep in mind that all the buns should be of the same size. Otherwise, you risk not baking them uniformly.
Quick Tip: Use a scale that will help you to make all the parts equal.
Take a baking pan, cover it with a sheet of baking paper, and arrange the dough balls on the pan.
Cover the future burger buns with a damp towel to avoid them to dry. Let the dough grow in a warm place and without a stream of air. Wait until the dough will double in volume. (Approximately 45 minutes.)
Here is how my hamburger buns were looking after 45 minutes.
If you want to make the burger buns shiny, mix one egg with a little bit of salt.
After that, take a brush and grease the burger buns.
Here is how the whole wheat hamburger buns should look before we will bake them:
Sprinkle these buns with sesame seeds or replace the sesame seeds with other seeds that you like to see on the bread.
Bake them in the preheated oven at 375°F (190°C) for 30-40 minutes. When the burger buns are baked, remove them from the oven.
Move them to a cold surface, cover them with a towel, and leave them to rest.
After they cool down, you can start to assemble the burgers. In case you missed how we made our delicious burger at home.
Enjoy the delicious and healthy burger buns that you just baked at home!
If you love baking, I also highly recommend trying the traditional Bosnian Sirnica Pita.
Answering Your Questions:
Besides sesame seeds, of course, you can use any other seeds to sprinkle. I often sprinkle the burger buns with black cumin seeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, or just a little salt.
It all depends on the period that you want to keep them fresh. If you’re going to use them in one week, then insert all of them into a plastic package and keep them in the fridge. If you want to save them for longer (one-three months), firstly, you will need to cover each burger bun individually with a sheet of baking paper. After that, you can put all of them into a plastic bag, and keep them in the freezer. Before using them, you will need to warm them in the microwave oven for 30 seconds if you kept them in the fridge. If you have frozen them, warm them for 1 minute and 30 seconds.
Quick Tip: When you will warm them in a microwave oven, put near them a glass of water to not to dry the buns.
Homemade Whole Wheat Hamburger Buns (Detailed Recipe)
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose Flour
- 1/4 oz dry yeast
- 1 1/3 Cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil
- Get ready all the ingredients all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, dry yeast, sugar, salt, warm water (100°F / 38°C) and the Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- Take a bowl and put all the dry ingredients and add the warm water. Mix all the ingredients for 15 minutes.
- Add 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. Mix them again until the olive oil will be absorbed in totality by the dough.
- Take the dough from the bowl and form one big ball.
- Divide the dough into 6 parts if you want regular burger buns, or if you want to make smaller buns, divide the dough into 8 pieces. Keep in mind that all the buns should be of the same size. Otherwise, you risk not baking them uniform. You can use a scale that will help you to make all the parts equal.
- Take a baking pan, cover it with a sheet of baking paper, and arrange the dough balls on the pan.
- Cover the future burger buns with a damp towel to avoid drying them.
- Let the dough grow in a warm place and without a stream of air until the dough will double in volume. (Approximately 45 minutes.)
- Mix one egg with a little bit of salt and after that grease the burger buns.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake them in the preheated oven at 375°F (190°C).
- When the burger buns are baked, remove them from the oven. Move them on a cold surface. Cover them with a towel.
- After they cool down, you can start to assemble the burgers.
I highly recommend reading the entire recipe to find more tips and notes about this recipe. Read Full Recipe ⇑
Leave a Reply