I’m pretty sure that you will get in love with today’s recipe! Is a creamy vegetable soup that is very healthy and it is very cheap to make it. This bowl of goodness will warm your soul on those cold days.
My family is a big lover of soups. Because of that, I’m making them regularly in a lot of variations. If you are also a soup lover, then check also how I’m making a super simple and Delicious Tomato Soup or take a look at our recent Vegetarian Beet Soup (so-called Ukrainian Borscht Soup).
As I said, for today, I decided to go with something super healthy.
We all know about the nutritional benefits of celery roots and leek, so I picked them up for today’s recipe. The celery root is loaded with vitamins like B6, K, and C. Besides that, it is full of fibers, as well as important minerals and antioxidants.
The second ingredient – leek, is also a good source of vitamins like A, C, K. The leek is also, a good source of iron, and magnesium. It is also full of dietary fiber and does not have a lot of calories. That thing also makes this recipe perfect for those who are on a diet.
Besides its health benefits, it is very delicious. I’m pretty sure that this recipe will be loved by every member of your family.
What I love about this soup is that it is very light. You can eat as much as you want without feeling guilty. Sometimes I can eat 2 bowls at once.
So good it is.
Just follow the step-by-step instructions below to make this delicious soup. It will surely impress all your family, and make them ask for more.
In the end, you get an amazing creamy soup with rich flavor and perfect texture, that is just melting in your mouth.
Are you intrigued? Let’s get started
- Butter – 2 Tablespoons (±30 grams)
- Leek – 1 cup (±200 grams)
- One Root of Celery – 1 cup (±200 grams)
- Carrots – ½ Cups (±100 grams)
- Garlic cloves – 1.
- White flour – 1 tablespoon
- Chicken/Vegetable Broth – 2 and ½ Cups (±600 ml.)
- 1 Egg (Optionally)
- Sour Cream – ½ Cup (±100 grams)
- (Optionally) Mozzarella – ¼ Cup (±20 grams)
- (Optionally) Pecorino Cheese – ⅕ Cup (±20 grams)
- (Optionally) Parsley to taste
👩🍳 Step-by-step Directions
Get a large enough pan, and melt the butter into it.
After that, add the leeks, celery, and carrots over the melted butter. Mix well all the ingredients.
Cook the vegetables for a few minutes to give them a lightly fried flavor. By doing that, we will give the soup a more intense taste in the end.
Now, over the vegetables, add the white flour to the pan. Mix well and continue to fry all the vegetables for another 2-3 minutes.
After you will mix well all the ingredients, you should get a similar result.
After the vegetables have smothered enough and the flour has been well absorbed, it’s time to add the vegetable or chicken broth. Pour the vegetable broth over the vegetables and mix well all the ingredients.
Let the soup simmer until the vegetables are cooked through. You should get a similar result:
Meanwhile, if you want a thicker soup, mix the sour cream with an egg.
Quick Note: If you prefer more liquid soups, omit the use of the egg and use only sour cream.
For that, put into a bowl sour cream and a raw egg:
Mix well both ingredients until you get a homogeneous mass. Leave the bowl for now.
When the vegetables are cooked, use a hand blender to turn the soup into a cream.
After that, taste the soup and adjust it with salt and pepper to your taste.
Finally, add the sour cream or egg-cream mixture to the soup.
Mix well the soup and it is ready to be served.
After that, preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and put the bowl in the oven until the cheese melts.
Love Soups? Take also a look at those:
- Cauliflower Leek Potato Soup
- Romanian Meatball Soup / Ciorba de Perisoare
- Vegetarian Ukrainian Borscht Soup (Beet Soup)
- Homemade Creamy Tomato Soup
Enjoy your meal!
Creamy Soup of Leek and Celery Roots
- Get a large enough pan, and melt the butter into it.2 tablespoons Butter
- Add the leeks, celery, and carrots to the pan. Mix and cook the vegetables for 7-8 minutes.1 cup Leek, 1 cup Celery, ½ Cups Carrot, 1 clove Garlic
- Add the all-purpose flour to the pan. Mix well and continue to fry all the vegetables for another 2 minutes.1 tablespoon All-purpose Flour
- After the vegetables have smothered enough add the vegetable broth. Mix well.2 ½ Cups Broth
- Let the soup simmer until the vegetables are cooked through.
- If you want a thicker soup, mix the 1/2 cup of sour cream with an egg.½ Cup Sour Cream, 1 Egg
- When the vegetables are cooked, use a hand blender to turn the soup into a cream.
- Adjust the soup with salt and pepper to your taste.
- Finally, add the sour cream or egg-cream mixture to the soup.
- Mix all the ingredients well and the soup is ready to be served.
- Optionally for cheese lovers: Pour the soup into a bowl suitable for the oven, add your favorite cheeses on top. In my case, I used mozzarella and pecorino.¼ Cup Mozzarella, ⅕ Cup Pecorino Cheese
- After that, preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and put the bowl in the oven until the cheese melts.
- The soup is ready to be served on plates. Enjoy your meal! You can sprinkle a little bit of freshly chopped parsley.Parsley
I highly recommend reading the entire recipe to find more tips and notes about this recipe. Read Full Recipe ⇑