Easy one-pan homemade Nando’s style spicy rice that you can make in under 30 minutes in your kitchen. Check this simple and delicious spicy rice recipe that you can add to your weekly meal plan.
- 2 cups of long-grain rice.
- 4 cups of water.
- 1 Bell Pepper.
- 1 Onion.
- 2 Garlic cloves.
- 1 1/5 cups of frozen green peas.
- 2 teaspoons of Garlic powder.
- 2 teaspoons of Paprika.
- 1/2 teaspoon of diced red pepper.
- 2 teaspoons of Turmeric
- 2 teaspoons of Olive oil.
- Salt to taste.
1. Warm the oil and add the spices into the pan.
2. When you will start to smell the spices, add the onion and chopped garlic into the pan. Cook them for about 2 minutes.
3. After that, add the bell pepper into the pan and cook it for another 2 minutes.
4. Wash well the rice 4-5 times and add it to the pan.
5. Add the green peas. If it is the season, use fresh peas. If not – you can use the frozen peas.
6. Add only 2 teaspoons of salt for now. In the end, you will adjust the salt to your taste.
7. Add 4 cups of water or if you prefer a more intense taste, you can replace the water with vegetable or meat broth.
8. When the rice starts to boil, cover with a lid and simmer the rice for 15 minutes.
9. After that, turn off the heat and leave the rice under the lid for about 5 minutes.
10. After that, take a fork and mix well the rice. Our Spicy rice in the Nando’s style is ready to be served.
1. When you will add the spices in the beginning, it’s important to start with spices that are coarsely crushed, and step-by-step to gradually add the spices that are crushed finner and finner. In that way, you will avoid burning the spices.
2. It is important to wash the rice well in 4-5 waters until the water in which you wash it will be transparent. This will prevent the rice from sticking during cooking because we have washed off all the excess starch.
3. In the end, after you will turn off the heat, don’t remove the lid all this time because you will lose all the steam and the rice will not be prepared as we needed.
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Portuguese-African
- Calories: 241 cal
Keywords: long grain rice, red pepper, green peas, side dishes, under 30 minutes recipe