This recipe for old fashioned-hot dog sauce is both flavorful and hearty and it is the perfect topping for your next backyard barbecue and if you want to try a true, old, and classic hot dog recipe. Made with ground beef, broth, canned tomatoes, chipotle, Worcestershire, and a blend of spices.
Bring back memories of backyard BBQs and summer nights with this classic Old-Fashioned Hot Dog Sauce recipe.
This sauce will elevate your hot dogs to the next level.
This hot dog sauce is a nod to the traditional recipes that were popular in the early 20th century and have been passed down through generations.
The base of the sauce is a combination of ground beef and broth, which creates a hearty and satisfying flavor that is perfect for hot dogs.
To enhance the taste even more, canned tomatoes are added to the mix, creating a tangy and slightly acidic taste that complements the beef.
The chipotle pepper is the secret ingredient that gives this hot dog sauce its signature smoky flavor, while the Worcestershire sauce provides a touch of sweetness and umami.
One of the greatest things about making your own sauces at home is that you can adjust the heat level by using more or less chipotle pepper, depending on your preference.
Also, even if the old-fashioned recipe is with ground beef, you can easily substitute it with ground turkey, pork or chicken meat to create a different flavor profile.
The mix of spices used in this recipe is carefully selected to provide a subtle balance of flavor without overpowering the beef and other ingredients.
When serving this hot dog sauce, you can choose your favorite type of hot dog buns and top them with your desired toppings.
Some popular options include diced onions, pickles, cheese, and mustard.
It can also be served as a dip for fries or tater tots, making it a great addition to any backyard barbecue or family gathering.
So, whether you’re a fan of traditional hot dogs or looking for a new twist on an old classic, this Old-Fashioned Hot Dog Sauce is the perfect addition to your next meal.
In addition to being a delicious topping for hot dogs, you can go the extra mile, and use this hot dog sauce as a base for other dishes.
For example, you can use it as a sauce for spaghetti or lasagna, or add it to your favorite chili recipe for extra flavor and depth.
🥰 Why You Will Love This Recipe?
- It is a classic, old recipe that is easy to make and does not require any complicated ingredients or techniques.
- It is a versatile sauce and it can be used as a topping beside hot dogs, also for hamburgers, and even fries, making it a versatile addition to any barbecue.
- Whether you’re hosting a backyard barbecue or a family gathering, this recipe is sure to be a hit with your guests.
🥘 Ingredients and Substitutes
- Ground meat. I used ground beef but, you can replace it with a mix of pork and beef, or any other type of minced meat you prefer.
- Broth. I used beef broth, but you can use whatever type of broth you prefer. You can even substitute it with water if you don’t have broth at hand.
- Canned Tomatoes. If you are in season and have time, you could also use fresh tomatoes instead of canned tomatoes. In this case, the sauce could be more acidic. To balance the acidity of the tomatoes, use ½ teaspoon of cane sugar.
- Chipotle. You can replace it with chili flakes or omit it altogether if you don’t like spicy food.
- Worcestershire. You could replace it with soy sauce.
- Spices. Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Paprika, Cumin, Salt, and Black Pepper. You could also add other spices or sauces that you prefer to use in combination with the minced meat.
- Olive Oil.
👩🍳 Step-by-step Directions
Take a pan, and pour a little oil in it. Put the ground meat in the pan.
Set the heat to medium and fry the meat for 7-10 minutes or until the liquid from the meat will evaporate.
Add the spices and the broth.
Pro Tip: Don’t add salt at this stage. We will adjust the salt in the end. Read further to find out why.
Immediately after this, add Worcestershire sauce and other sauces you decided to use.
In the end, add the canned tomatoes.
Mix well. Cover with a lid and let it cook on low heat for about 45 minutes.
After it is cooked, taste the sauce and now you can adjust the salt.
Pro Tip: The sauces and the broth can be salted differently. Also during boiling, a fairly large amount of liquids will evaporate. Thus, if you salt the sauce from the beginning, you risk getting a too-salty final sauce.
The sauce is ready to be served as a hot dog topping.
For more flavor, color, and texture, I recommend you sprinkle some freshly chopped spring onions or regular onions over the hot dogs.
🏆 Expert Tips. What to Pay Attention To?
- After you have combined all the ingredients, simmer the sauce over low heat for at least 30 minutes. This will allow the flavors to meld and deepen, and will also help to thicken the sauce.
- Browning the beef until it is well caramelized will give the sauce a deeper and more complex flavor. Be sure to break the beef into small pieces and cook it until there is no pink left.
- Adjust the salt at the end because the spices and sauces we use can have different levels of salt. Also, as the liquids will evaporate during the cooking, the sauce will become more concentrated and you may get an over-salty sauce. Because of that, consider adjusting the salt in the end.
- You can also adjust the consistency of the sauce by adding more broth or reducing it on the stove to reach your desired thickness.
- The quality of the beef you use will greatly affect the taste of the sauce. Look for ground beef that has a high-fat content, as this will give the sauce a juicy and rich flavor.
♻️ Make Ahead, Storage, and Reheating:
Can I Prepare It Ahead and Keep It in the Fridge?
You can prepare the old-fashioned hot dog sauce ahead of time and keep it in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Thus, you will be able to serve it at any time when you will want to enjoy a classic hot dog with that ground beef topping.
Can You Freeze the Hot Dog Sauce?
If you will keep it in an air-tight container, you can keep it in the freezer for about 3 months making it a convenient option for busy weeknights or for meal prep. Simply thaw the sauce overnight in the refrigerator and reheat it on the stove until it is hot and bubbly
How to Reheat It?
The easiest method to reheat the old-fashioned hot dog sauce is on the pan on the stove or in the microwave if you’re limited on time.
📋 Recipe Card:
Old Fashioned Hot Dog Sauce
- In a frying pan, pour a little bit of oil, and fry the ground beef for about 7-10 minutes at medium heat.1 lb Ground Beef, 2 tablespoon Olive Oil
- Add the broth and all the spices (except salt, we will adjust the sale in the end).1 cup Broth, 1 cup Canned Tomatoes, ¼ teaspoon Chipotle, ½ teaspoon Dried Onions, ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder, ½ teaspoon Black Pepper, ½ teaspoon Paprika, ½ teaspoon Cumin
- Right after that, add Worcestershire sauce or other sauces you prefer.1 teaspoon Worcestershire
- Now is time to add the canned tomatoes over the rest of the ingredients.1 cup Canned Tomatoes
- Mix all the ingredients well, cover the pan with a lid, and let everything simmer for about 45 minutes on low heat.
- Adjust the salt.½ teaspoon Salt
- The sauce is ready to be served as a hot dog or burger topping.
- For more flavor and color, you can sprinkle some freshly chopped spring onions or regular onion.
I highly recommend reading the entire recipe to find more tips and notes about this recipe. Read Full Recipe ⇑
- Adjust the salt in the end because during the cooking, the liquids will evaporate and the sauce will concentrate.
- Simmer the sauce on low heat for at least 30 minutes.
- You can adjust the consistency of the sauce by adding more broth.