- 21 oz (600 g.) Bell Peppers
- 17.5 oz (500 g.) Tomatoes
- 8.8 oz (250 g.) Onions
- 5 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp garlic
- 1 tsp capers
- ½ tsp Chili Peper Flakes
- 2 tbsp Vinegar
- 1 tsp Sugar
- ½ tsp Dried Basil
- Wash well and clean all vegetables.
- Chop the onion julienne.
- Peel the tomatoes
- Cut the tomatoes into cubes and put them in a bowl.
- Cut the bell peppers into slices of about 1cm (1/3″).
- Mash the garlic cloves.
- Flavor the oil with some garlic cloves. To do this, pour about 4-5 tablespoons of olive oil into the pan and put the garlic cloves in the pan.
- When you feel a pleasant aroma of the garlic, it’s time to add onions over them. Add a pinch of salt (1/4 tsp).
- Add the chili flakes to taste.
- Add the bell pepper to the pan and mix all the ingredients. Let it fry for about 7 minutes.
- Add the capers. In my case, I used the salted capers, but you can also use the regular ones from the jar.
- Add the vinegar and sugar.
- Add a teaspoon of sugar to give a sweet and sour taste to the final product.
- Add the tomatoes and mix well all the ingredients.
- Let the vegetables cook for about 15-20 minutes on low heat.
- Add the dried or fresh basil.
- Mix well again all the ingredients and our delicious Peperonata is ready to be served.
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: italian recipes, peperonata, vegetable stew