A simple yeast homemade bread with dried rosemary and topped with plenty of parmesan cheese. A hearty and chewy bread recipe with tons of flavors and with a crispy crust. It’s an easy recipe that will become one of your favorite recipes for bread.
Today, I want to share with you a delicious recipe for how to make savory homemade rosemary bread with parmesan. I promise this is not an ordinary loaf of bread that you tried earlier. It is a light and fluffy texture on the inside, nice golden color on the outside with a crunchy texture. And the combination between parmesan and rosemary will leave you speechless.
If you don’t tried yet this freshly baked rosemary parmesan bread, please give it a try to this recipe.
The most important is that you need to follow all the directions and you couldn’t go wrong with it. I tried to explain all my steps and give you a lot of quick notes and tips on how to make the best parm bread that you ate.
This easy recipe of rosemary cheese bread recipe comes in handy if you are looking for a delicious way to make your own bread at home. Yes, it will take you almost three hours of your time, but it is not complicated. Just follow all the steps carefully and you should not fail.
What can be better than a freshly baked rosemary bread smell in your kitchen? You will go crazy about this smell.
If you love baking, check also our delicious Focaccia Genovese Recipe. Or you may consider using the same recipe but to make delicious rosemary focaccia with parmesan instead of bread.
What You Will Find in This Recipe?
Tons of tips and tricks. I mean a lot. I tried to give you all the information and explain all my steps that will make it easier for you to repeat all the steps and serve delicious rosemary cheese bread on your table.
Interested? Here are a few things that you will find in this recipe:
- How to activate faster the yeast?
- How to make sure that you don’t kill the yeast?
- How do get a better texture of the bread?
- Why you should dought the bread more times?
- How to avoid cracks on top of the bread?
- How to avoid a sticky core?
How to Make the Rosemary Bread?
- In a bowl, mix the flour, yeast, salt, honey, and milk.
- Pour the oil over the mixture and mix well.
- Cover and let the dough rise for about 50 minutes.
- Knead the bread and add rosemary and grated parmesan cheese.
- Leave the dough to rise for the second time.
- Form the bread.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F / 180° C and bake the bread for 35 minutes.
- Grease the bread with a mixture of a beaten egg with water.
- Bake the bread for another 25 minutes.
- Let the bread to cool down and it is ready to be served.
🥰 Why You Will Love This Recipe?
- The smell of freshly baked parm bread in the house always brings us back to childhood.
- This bread has an intense and refined taste. It is more unique than the regular bread that we are eating daily.
- This parmesan rosemary cheese bread is perfect both as a sandwich base and as an individual snack. It is so tasty that you can eat it alone.
- Bread cooked at home is always much healthier than what we can find in the stores.
🥘 Ingredients and Substitutes
- Flour. I used all-purpose flour but if you want to get a more rustic and artisan taste and a healthier bread, I suggest you replace ⅓ of the total amount of flour indicated with whole wheat flour or rye. Want to experiment even more? Consider also walnut flour like almonds flour.
- Milk. We need to use milk because this way the bread comes out fluffier, but if you don’t have milk you can replace it with water, this will, of course, change the taste a bit but you will get a spectacular result anyway.
- Yeast. Unfortunately, it is difficult to make delicious homemade bread without using yeast, even if we all know that they are not very healthy, I still think that homemade bread even with yeast is better than one store-bought. If you have where to get sourdough, I urge you to replace the yeast with it.
- Salt. In any bread recipe, it is important not to forget to add salt. Otherwise, we will have a flat taste in the end.
- Honey. I added honey because we need to create a balance of tastes. For the sweet part, I decided to use honey, you can of course use sugar or another sweetener that you usually use.
- Olive oil. I used olive oil because I think it is the perfect element with parmesan and rosemary, but you can replace it with any type of oil you prefer or even butter.
- Parmesan. I chose this cheese because it has a deep taste of nuts, but you can use any hard cheese that you prefer.
- Rosemary. For me, this spice is absolutely a favorite in bread recipes. But you can replace it with oregano or a mix of herbs that you prefer. Also, if you prefer a stronger rosemary taste then replace the dried rosemary with a fresh one.
- Egg and Water. We need these ingredients to grease the bread at the end for a more attractive look. You could replace them with milk or omit them altogether.
👩🍳 Step-by-Step Directions
Quick Note: I will use a Stand Mixer, but you can also do this process manually.
Pour into the bowl of the mixer the flour, yeast, salt, honey, and in the end, pour the milk over the ingredients. Homogenizes well the whole composition.
Quick Note: I used yeast that does not need to be dissolved, if you have yeast that needs to be dissolved then add the yeast to the milk and mix well. Only after that pour the mixture over the rest of the ingredients. Also, pay attention to the expiration date of the yeast, if it is expired you could fail with the recipe.
Pro Tip: Use milk that has a temperature of 98-100°F / 37-38°C. By doing that, the dough growth process will go faster because the yeast needs a warm and wet environment to activate. Also, it is very important to not use hot milk because you could kill the yeast and the dough will not rise.
When the mixture becomes homogeneous you can pour the oil into the composition.
Pro Tip: You can pour the oil in the first phase, but the structure of the dough changes a bit if you pour the oil after the dough is formed. I prefer to add oil as a separate stage, you can try both ways to decide which is more suitable for you.
After you have mixed well the dough, grease it with a little oil to avoid drying it out and forming crusts on the surface. Then cover it with a towel and let it rise in a warm and in a draft-free place.
After about 50-60 minutes the dough should look like this:
It will grow well and it will be well aerated.
At this stage, mix the dough a little to remove the excess carbon dioxide formed during fermentation and to oxygenate the composition so that the yeast will not die.
Only after that, add to the composition Parmesan cheese, rosemary, or any other flavor supplements you prefer.
Pro Tip: Leave the dough one more time for leavening. The double-leavened bread tastes better because the yeasts have more time to grow. The second time the baking process will take much less time, so keep an eye on the dough, it should take about 30 minutes.
Shaping the Bread
After the dough has risen the second time, we can form the bread.
I decided to form three round loaves of bread from the obtained composition, but here everything remains at your discretion. You can make two loaves or make delicious parmesan bread bites. Just keep in mind that all the pieces of dough should be the same size to make sure that all of them will bake evenly.
Quick Note: The larger you will make the parm bread, the longer it will take to bake.
Pro Tip: I suggest you make some cuts on the surface of the bread because during the baking it will increase its volume and the crust will crack randomly if you don’t do this.
Let the formed bread rest on the table while you heat the oven to 350°F / 180°C.
Take the baking sheet, cover it with baking paper, and grease it with oil to avoid sticking the bread to it. After that, place carefully the formed bread on the baking sheet.
Pro Tip: Leave enough space between the loaves of bread on the tray because they will increase in volume during baking to avoid sticking them together.
Bake the bread for about 35 minutes at 350°F / 180°C.
At the end of this time, you should have a mixture formed from an egg and two tablespoons of water or milk.
When the timer will end, remove the baking sheet from the oven and grease the bread with the mixture that we just did in the previous step.
In the end, sprinkle over the bread the grated parmesan. You could replace the parmesan with coarse salt or you can use a mix of different seeds for bread.
After we sprinkled the parmesan cheese, bake the bread for the last 25 minutes.
This is what the cheesy parm bread with rosemary will look like when it is ready:
It is well browned, with a crispy crust, and if you hit the bottom of the bread you will hear a sound like it is empty.
Pro Tip: Let the bread cool down on a cooling rack/oven grill pan before cutting the bread. Otherwise, the core may become sticky.
🏆 Expert Tips. What to Pay Attention On?
- Be careful what kind of yeast you have. Read the instructions to find if you need to dissolve them in liquid or not.
- Bring the temperature of the used milk to 98-100°F / 37-38°C. This is the optimal temperature in which the yeast develops. In a colder environment, it will need more time to start activating, and if you will use milk that is too hot, you risk killing all the yeast.
- Let the dough rise in a warm and draft-free place.
- The dough always feels your mood during cooking. So smile for a better result. Also, I heard that dancing during the baking also improves your end result 🙂.
How long does it last?
You can keep this bread fresh for 3 to 4 days at room temperature, or you can keep it in the fridge for about one week and heat the amount you need each time.
Can I Freeze This Bread?
The bread withstands freezing very well, so wrap it well as is in food film or slice it and put the bread slices in a well-sealed container. You can keep this rosemary parmesan bread in the freezer for even 3- 4 months.
How Much Time Do I Need to Make This Recipe?
Sometimes it takes a long time to cook bread at home. The whole process will take around 3 hours, but it is a very nice way to spend time with your family if you do this together. A good idea will be to cook more bread than keep it in the freezer.
How to Reheat the Parmesan Rosemary Bread?
Take the bread out of the fridge or freezer and leave it on the table at room temperature, or put it in the preheated oven for about 5 minutes. If you want you can slice it and heat it in the toaster.
Is Rosemary Parmesan Bread Healthy?
The rosemary parmesan bread is a little healthier than the traditional bread because the parm bread is made using olive oil instead of butter as we can find in the traditional homemade bread recipes. So, one loaf of parmesan bread made at home (57 grams) contains only 150 calories.
Answering Your Questions:
How to Keep the Bread Fresh?
In order to keep the bread fresh, it is important to keep it away from mold formation. As the mold prefers warm and humid places, so keep the bread on the table covered with a towel. The downside of this method is that it will dry pretty quickly. Or proceed in my favorite way: slice the bread and store it in the fridge in a tightly-closed container, and when you need it, heat the slices in a toaster.
How to Get an Extra Flavor to the Bread?
One of the secrets of tasty bread is the balance of taste. So always use salt and a sweetener. In addition, bread is a perfect way to experiment in the kitchen because you have a clean sheet to which you can add any color you want, mix different types of flour, and use various liquids such as water, milk, or cream. Don’t be afraid to experiment with aromatic herbs and of course, don’t forget about the different kinds of nuts you can use both in the composition or sprinkle at the end on the surface.
If you want to go further consider adding garlic over the bread. You will get amazed by the combination of this bread with rosemary, parmesan, and garlic.
How to Know When the Bread Is Baked?
When the bread is ready, it will have a well-browned crust on all sides, and when you take it in your hand and beat it, you will hear an empty sound from the middle of the bread. It should feel as if the middle of the bread is empty.
Rustic Homemade Rosemary Parmesan Bread
- 1 Egg
- 2 tablespoon Water
- ⅓ cup Parmesan Grated
- In the bowl of the mixer, pour the flour, yeast, salt, honey, and at the end pour the milk over them. Mix well the whole composition.6 ⅔ cup All-purpose Flour, 2 ¼ teaspoon yeast, 1 ¼ teaspoon Salt, 1 tablespoon Honey, 2 ½ cup Milk
- Pour the oil over the dough and mix until it will incorporate well.2 ½ tablespoon Olive Oil
- Cover the dough and let it rise for the first time, about 50-60 minutes.
- Knead the dough and add the rosemary and parmesan.1 tablespoon Rosemary, ⅓ cup Parmesan
- Cover the dough with a towel and leave to rise a second time, about 30 minutes.
- Form the bread and let it rise until the oven heats up to 350°F / 180°C.
- Bake the rosemary parmesan bread for about 35 minutes.
- Take out the bread from the oven, and grease it with mix of an beaten egg with water and sprinkle over the parmesan cheese.1 Egg, 2 tablespoon Water
- Bake the bread until it is ready, in my case it took about 25 minutes.
- Let the bread to cool and it is ready to be served.
I highly recommend reading the entire recipe to find more tips and notes about this recipe. Read Full Recipe ⇑
As you can see there was a little bit of work, but we hope that you were amazed by this tasty recipe and you enjoyed the process of baking this tasty parmesan loaf.