These stewed chicken wings are full of flavor and they are perfect to serve on any day of the week. This recipe is very easy to make and it doesn’t take too much attention from you. You will get juicy chicken wings that were simmered in a stew of fresh vegetables. Hearty comfort food that you will get in love with.
Looking for a stew of chicken wings? Give it a try with this mini stewed chicken wings with vegetables. This stew is one of our family favorites and it may become a favorite of your family too. Even kids adore it. No matter how big I make the portion, it will be eaten anyway. I prefer serving the chicken stew on a large soup plate so everybody can enjoy also the sauce by soaking a few slices of toast in it.
Even if it will take two hours until you can put it on the table, it doesn’t require you too much attention. All you will need is to wash and clean the chicken wings and chop all the vegetables. After that, the slow cooker will do its thing and you can make other activities around the house. The chicken meat will simmer slowly in the sauce left by the vegetables.
Even if this is considered winter comfort food, you can enjoy it all year around. Just experiment with the vegetables and the spices you will add to it.
Let’s find out how we can make this easy and delicious chicken wings stew in the slow cooker. Actually, you can make this recipe even if you don’t have a slow cooker. You can use the oven or even let all the ingredients simmer on the stove on the lowest heat.
👩🍳How to Make the Stewed Chicken Wings?
- Clean well the chicken wings and vegetables.
- Chop the vegetables into cubes.
- Put all the ingredients into the slow cooker and season with salt, pepper, and olive oil.
- Cook everything on medium heat for about 1.5-2 hours.
- Decorate with freshly chopped parsley.
🥰 Why You Will Love This Recipe?
- It is a recipe that doesn’t require too much attention from you. You just have to chop and slice all the ingredients, put all the ingredients in the slow cooker, and give it the necessary time to cook while you can do other things around the house.
- You will obtain a delicious and balanced dinner by using only a few simple and accessible ingredients.
- You can easily adjust the chicken stew to your family’s taste. You can easily add/remove or replace the used ingredients.
🥘 Ingredients and Substitutes
- Chicken meat. I chose the wings because they have bone and skin. Thus, in the end, the meat will be juicier and more flavorful. But of course, you can use other parts of the chicken such as chicken thighs, drumsticks, and chicken breast, or you can use a whole chicken and portion it whatever you like.
- Carrots. I used carrots in this recipe because they give extra color and a sweeter taste to the dish. But, you can easily replace them with other roots, such as parsnips.
- Hot peppers. You can substitute them with bell peppers or replace them with chili flakes.
- Garlic. I used garlic in this recipe for the extra flavor. If you don’t like the strong garlic taste you can use dried granulated garlic because it doesn’t have such a pronounced taste, or you can omit it altogether.
- Celery Stalk. I added it into this recipe for its crunchiness and of course for its taste fits perfectly in any type of stew.
- Tomatoes. I used tomatoes for the extra color, acidity, and juiciness. If you want to make the plate even more colorful, you could pick tomatoes that have different colors.
- Onions. What kind of stew we can make without onions in it? The onions, after cooking, give a sweet and extra texture of creaminess to the stew because the onions the cooking transforms into almost a jam.
- Parsley. I used it at the end for decoration, color, and for an extra fresh aroma.
- Spices. I used a simple mix of salt and black pepper because I wanted to offer a light taste of spring to this stew by emphasizing the taste of vegetables. But of course, you can add other spices or aromatic herbs that you prefer to combine with chicken such as rosemary, sage, turmeric, or a curry mixture.
👩🍳 Step-by-step Directions
Wash the meat well and remove any excesses you don’t like. After that, wash the vegetables and cut them into cubes.
Put all the ingredients in the slow cooker, add salt, olive oil, and black pepper to your taste over them.
Mix everything well and cook on medium mode (190°F / 88°C) for about 1.5-2 hours.
Quick Note: There is no need to add water to the stew because the vegetables and meat will leave juice during the cooking and the stew, in the end, will be juicy enough.
In the end, you will get a juicy stew with soft meat that will fall off the bone and melt in your mouth.
Quick note: In this case, we don’t need a meat thermometer, because if you will try to remove a bone from the chicken wings, it will come out absolutely clean without any effort.
I recommend serving it immediately while it is still hot in a deep soup bowl that will allow you to enjoy the delicious sauce.
Optionally, you can add some chopped parsley for extra color, flavor, and freshness.
Do You Love Your Air Fryer?
Level up your experience even more with these air fryer accessories!
🍽️ Serving Suggestions
Because this type of food has a very large amount of sauce, you recommend serving it with a garnish that absorbs the sauce well. A few examples will be to serve the stewed chicken wings with rice, mashed potatoes, or near a slice of toast made from delicious homemade bread.
🏆 Expert Tips. What to Pay Attention On?
- Clean carefully the wings before you start cooking them. Nobody will appreciate it if they find a feather or a fluff on their plate.
- Cut the edges of the chicken wings because they don’t look too appetizing on the plate. Don’t rush to throw them away, you can keep them in the freezer and when you will need to prepare a delicious homemade broth, you can use them for that.
♻️ Make Ahead, Storage and Heating:
You can make the stewed chicken wings ahead and keep them in the fridge for up to 3 days. The stew will not change its taste at all after reheating.
Wait until the chicken stew has cooled and you can keep it in the fridge for up to 3-4 days in a saucepan or container that closes well.
Wait until the chicken stew cools down completely. Divide it into servings convenient for your family and you can keep it in the freezer for up to 3 months. When needed, just remove them from the freezer, reheat them, and you have a delicious dish on the table.
You can reheat the chicken stew in the pan on the stove over medium heat or in the microwave for about 2 minutes.
📋 Recipe Card:
Easy Stewed Chicken Wings
- Wash well and clean the chicken wings well from all excesses that you do not like.
- Wash the vegetables and cut them all into cubes.
- Put all the ingredients into the slow cooker and sprinkle over them salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook everything for about 1.5-2 hours on medium heat at 190°F / 88°C.
- Optionally, sprinkle some freshly chopped parsley over the stew for extra color and freshness.
- As this is a stew, there is no exact quantity of the ingredients. You can adjust the amount to your liking.
- There is no need to add extra water to the recipe. The liquid that will be left by vegetables and meat will be more than enough to get juicy chicken wings in the end.
- You can make this recipe even in the oven or on the stove on the lowest heat you have.