Delicious recipe of the Ukrainian Vegan Borscht Soup. All you will need are beets, sliced veggies, lemon juice and a few aromatic herbs.
- 1 ½ cups of chopped beet
- 1 cup of chopped carrots
- 1 cup of chopped potatoes.
- ½ of a cup of chopped bell pepper
- ½ of a cup of chopped onions
- ½ of a cup of chopped tomatoes
- ½ of a cup of chopped parsley
- 1 cup of green bean or you can replace it with canned beans
- 2 cups of chopped cabbage
- 4 garlic cloves
- Chilli pepper to taste
- 4–5 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- Optionally, sour cream (fatty yogurt)
- Optionally, lemon juice
- Optionally, use meat or vegetable broth instead of water.
- Wash well and chop all the vegetables.
- Add 4-5 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil in a pot.
- After the olive oil warmed up a little bit, add the chopped onions and garlic into the pan.
- Add a teaspoon of salt and cook the vegetables for 3-4 minutes.
- When the onions will become a little transparent, add the potatoes and the carrots into the pan. Brown them for about 8-10 minutes.
- Add the chopped beet.
- Pour over the tomatoes. If the tomatoes are not acidic enough, add 2 tablespoons of lemon juice or vinegar. Let the vegetables simmer for about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the green beans. Mix well all the ingredients.
- Add the spices. I used bay leaf and sliced chilli pepper and dried thyme.
- Add 2 litres of liquids, and let all the ingredients boil for about 15 minutes on low heat.
- When the potatoes will become “al dente” add the cabbage into the pan for about 7 minutes.
- Taste the soup and adjust it to salt and acidity.
- Mix well all the ingredients and turn off the hob.
- Add the chopped parsley, mix well, and cover the lid.
- Leave it to rest for about 20-30 minutes.
- Category: Soups
- Cuisine: Ukrainian
Keywords: Ukrainian, soups, traditional