Are you planning to make a delicious brownie mix but don’t have the eggs under your hands or do you just want to skip the eggs for some reason? Find what egg replacements you can use in a brownie mix recipe
There can be many reasons for a person to substitute (or remove) eggs while making the pancake mix. Maybe you just don’t have eggs at home, or maybe you want to omit the eggs because you are allergic to them, want to cut the protein-infested food, or you just don’t want to increase the cholesterol level.
There may be several reasons at once or just one, it does not matter. The main thing is that you can easily make the brownie mix by replacing the eggs with other substitutes.
There are some egg substitutes that you know already about them, but also you will find some egg substitutes in brownie mix that you didn’t even suspect but you have already in your kitchen.
So, let’s find what are the best egg substitutes in a brownie mix.
The Role of Eggs in the Brownie Mix
First of all, let’s find out why the eggs are used in a brownie mix so we can easily find a substitute for the eggs. In simple words, the egg yolks help dry ingredients to combine with butter. So basically it is a sticking element. Also, it gives a more creamy texture to our brownie mix.
Just because eggs are the foundation of this dessert doesn’t mean they can’t be substituted. There is a whole list of ingredients that are great as a substitute for eggs in this recipe.
Options for substituting eggs in this dessert to sticking together the ingredients
The following products can be used to bind the ingredients in This dessert:
- Fruit puree. You will only need to use a quarter cup to replace one egg, so if your recipe calls for two eggs, then you should add half a cup to your mixture. You may also consider the applesauce (its advantage is that it is not sweet, as there will be other ingredients in the composition of the dish that will give enough sweetness), mashed bananas, pumpkin puree, and some others;
- Vegetable puree. You will also need to substitute one egg with a quarter of a cup when making the brownie mix. The most used vegetable puree in the brownie mix is the mashed avocado puree;
- Silky tofu. A quarter cup of this ingredient will also give your dish a nice and smooth texture, and will also help to bind all the ingredients together in the composition;
- Arrowroot. It is a powder (like starch). 2 tablespoons of it should be mixed with 3 tablespoons of water to take the place of each egg called in the brownie mix recipe.
- Corn Starch. If you combine the cornstarch with water, you will get a similar egg consistency. It will add a chewy texture and will improve the end result. To replace eggs in the brownie mix with corn starch, you should mix two tablespoons of cornstarch and three tablespoons of cold water for each called egg in the recipe.
Egg Substitution to Add Humidity
The following ingredients can be used as an egg substitute to add more humidity to the Brownie Mix:
- Fruit puree. A quarter cup of this puree will replace one egg. You can use different varieties of puree, such as bananas or plums. It should be noted that the cooking time in the oven will be a little longer if you decide to put it in your dish;
- Baking powder and oil (vegetable). Well, you will need 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil, 2 teaspoons of baking powder, and 2 teaspoons of water. Take it all in a separate container, and mix until smooth, and have a uniform consistency. Then add this mix over the rest of the ingredients;
- Peanut butter. You only need 3 scoops of butter to replace every egg called in the recipe. Be careful, the mixture should not be too sweet.
Options for Replacing Eggs as a Baking Powder
There are some great alternatives for vegans:
- Yogurt. It is recommended to use low-fat yogurt. Here it is also enough to use a 1/4 cup of plain yogurt. In addition to the functions of a baking powder, yogurt is also great for giving the dish a nice structure and airiness. The brownie mix will be soft and will have a more pleasant flavor;
- Vinegar and baking soda are Excellent as leavening agents. You need one tablespoon of vinegar and 1 teaspoon of baking soda to make a perfect egg substitute in a brownie mix recipe, which is an excellent substitute for the leavening properties of the egg.
More Substitutes to Consider
- Flaxseed. Usually, it is sold in powder form, so you need to give it a different shape. Mix it with water in a ratio of one tablespoon of ground flaxseed to three tablespoons of water. You will receive a nice replacement for one egg in a brownie mix;
- Vegetable oil. Be careful if you decide to use only this ingredient as a substitute because the oil is very fatty. Your dish will turn out to be too fatty if you decide to replace two or more eggs with just oil. Use only as a last option.
- Egg replacer mix from the stores. A great option for those who do not like to bother or for those who do not have the above ingredients at home. This can also be combined with other egg substitution options. This option is great that it lasts for longer, so you can always have a package in your kitchen.
- Aquafaba. Another popular egg substitute that you can use. It has a similar consistency to egg whites so you will get a similar density as in the original recipe. For each egg called in the recipe, you will need to use around 3 tablespoons of the aquafaba sticky liquid.
Are There Vegan Egg Substitutes?
Of course, among the various ingredients that could replace eggs, there are also vegan ones. There are not many of them, but enough to make a delicious brownie mix.
Protein powder (vegan). If you mix it with water (one tablespoon of protein powder with three tablespoons of water), you will get a vegan mixture that will replace eggs in the brownie mix.
Keep in mind that the protein powder may have different flavors (coconut, vanilla, strawberry, etc.). You can use them to give the brownie mix an extra light flavor.
Experiment with protein choices and find one you like the most.
Vegan yogurt is another great option as an egg replacement in the brownie mix.
With it in the composition, the dish acquires a pleasant texture, humidity, and excellent fixation.
Do not forget that it adds a pleasant delicate taste. You should proceed from personal preference when choosing an ingredient.
Conclusion on Replacing Eggs in a Brownie Mix
There are many options for replacing eggs in this dessert. These substitutes can provide fairly good results even if we omit one of the basic ingredients from the recipe.
Also, keep in mind that these substitutes can add flavor to the base brownie mix. Like if you will substitute the egg with protein powder or with vanilla yogurt.
There are also options for vegetarians to substitute the eggs in the brownie mix. Yes, they can enjoy this dish too and have nothing to lose, because they can replace eggs with protein powder or vegan yogurt and get quite a rich and pleasant taste (someone may like this combination even more than the basic Brownie Mix recipe).
Quick Note: It is important to note that the cooking time may vary depending on which ingredient you choose to include in your dish.
Leave a Reply