Dive into the sweet world of our 4 ingredient caramel biscuits, a dreamy mix of salted butter, self-rising flour, brown sugar, and golden syrup. This delightful snack is simple at its best, with an intense caramel goodness that’s hard to resist.
Are you ready to embark on a magical baking journey with me? Today, I’ve got a super-duper, finger-licking recipe that will have you falling head over heels in love with your oven!
Today, we will make the most irresistible caramel biscuits. Baking love in its most pure form, these biscuits will make your kitchen smell like a dream.
Just four, yes four, uncomplicated ingredients – salted butter, self-rising flour, brown sugar, and the star of the show, golden syrup – unite to create this heavenly delight.
Now, don’t let the ease of this recipe fool you. The end result is far from basic.
It’s a dessert, a snack, a secret midnight feast – all rolled into one. Every crumb is packed with caramel goodness, every bite a celebration of the sweet life.
Quick Note: Consider this a word of caution though – these biscuits have a reputation for disappearing as soon as they appear. So be quick, or be prepared to face the puppy eyes and the empty biscuit tin!
So, if you’ve got a hankering for something sweet, and your heart’s whispering, “Let’s bake!” – this recipe is your answer! It’s the kind of delightful creation that fills your home with a warm, comforting aroma, beckoning everyone to gather ’round the kitchen with eager anticipation.
Don’t forget to sprinkle some love into the mix, and let the baking magic unfold.
P.S. Get ready for smiles, “oohs,” and “aahs” because these caramel biscuits are about to become your new kitchen legend!
🥰 Why You Will Love This Recipe?
- Quick to Make: With minimal ingredients and straightforward instructions, the biscuits can be prepared in a relatively short amount of time, making it an ideal choice for a last-minute treat or when you’re craving something sweet in a hurry.
- Irresistible Caramel Flavor: The rich caramel flavor infused into the biscuits from the golden syrup or sauce elevates their taste, adding a delightful sweetness that appeals to anyone with a sweet tooth.
- Buttery and Tender Texture: The inclusion of butter (or suitable substitutes) ensures the biscuits have a buttery and tender texture, creating a melt-in-your-mouth experience that people will savor with each bite.
- Family-Friendly: The recipe’s simplicity and delectable results make it an excellent activity to involve the whole family. Kids and adults alike will enjoy making and devouring these tasty biscuits together.
- Perfect for Special Occasions: Whether it’s a festive gathering, a casual get-together, or a potluck event, these caramel biscuits can add a touch of sweetness and warmth to any occasion.
- Customization: While the basic recipe is delightful on its own, people can get creative and customize the biscuits to their liking by adding chocolate chips, chopped nuts, or a sprinkle of sea salt on top.
🥘 Ingredients and Substitutes
- Self-rising flour: The self-rising flour serves as the base dry ingredient in the recipe, providing the necessary structure and leavening agents (baking powder and salt) to help the biscuits rise during baking. However, if you find yourself without self-rising flour, don’t worry! You can easily prepare a suitable substitute by combining all-purpose flour with baking powder and a pinch of salt. This mixture will still provide the necessary lift and structure to make your biscuits fluffy and light. (For every cup of all-purpose flour, add 1 ½ teaspoons of baking powder and ¼ teaspoon of salt).
- Golden syrup: It’s a thick, sweet syrup with a unique caramel flavor. If you don’t have golden syrup at your disposal, don’t worry! You can use honey as a substitute, which also adds sweetness and a distinctive taste, though with a slightly different flavor profile. Alternatively, maple syrup can be another substitute option, offering a rich and flavorful alternative to golden syrup. Lastly, you can also try using corn syrup as a substitute, which will add sweetness and thickness to the biscuits.
- Butter: Butter is a key ingredient that provides moisture and richness to the biscuits, contributing to their tender texture and buttery flavor. However, if you prefer a non-dairy option or run out of butter, you can effortlessly substitute it with an equal amount of margarine or vegetable shortening.
- Brown sugar: Brown sugar adds sweetness and a subtle molasses flavor, enhancing the caramel notes in the biscuits. Should you lack brown sugar, you can easily swap it with granulated white sugar or even try the rich and flavorful coconut sugar.
👩🍳 Step-by-step Directions
Quick Note: Before you begin, remove the butter from the fridge ahead of time and leave it at room temperature to soften.
Place flour, butter, and sugar in a spacious bowl, then mix well using a stand mixer or a spoon.
You should get a crumbly, sticky mixture.
After all the ingredients have been mixed, it’s time to add the golden syrup.
Mix again using a spatula until a homogeneous, creamy dough forms, then cover with cling film and refrigerate for about 1 hour, allowing the dough to stabilize and firm up a bit.
Using an ice cream scoop, form dough balls.
Quick Note: This amount of dough from this recipe, will yield 12 medium cookies, but you can make more smaller ones or just a few larger ones. In this case, you might need to adjust the baking time.
Bake at 375°F (approximately 190°C) for about 15 minutes.
Quick Note: The baking time may vary depending on your oven, so keep an eye on them.
When they become beautifully golden, it’s time to remove them from the oven.
Allow the cookies to cool completely before removing them from the tray, as they are very fragile when hot. Once cooled, they will become crunchy and easy to handle.
Enjoy these biscuits with a cup of your favorite tea or coffee. They’re a delightful treat and their golden, crunchy texture is sure to make them a favorite in your household.
🍽️ Serving Suggestions
- Take your warm caramel biscuits and place a scoop of creamy vanilla ice cream on top. Drizzle some extra caramel sauce over it all, and watch as the ice cream starts to melt and mingle with the biscuits’ gooey goodness. It’s a sundae dream come true – simple, divine, and oh-so-indulgent!
- Gather your loved ones for a classic afternoon tea affair. Serve the caramel biscuits alongside a pot of freshly brewed tea or aromatic coffee. Allow the comforting flavors to dance together as you enjoy delightful conversations and scrumptious bites.
- Channel the flavors of a luscious caramel apple by topping the biscuits with thinly sliced apples and a drizzle of caramel sauce. Pop them back into the oven for a few minutes until the apples soften, and you’ve got a divine dessert that celebrates the best of both worlds.
- Make your caramel biscuits the stars of a delightful appetizer spread. Cut them into bite-sized pieces and serve alongside a selection of dips like chocolate sauce, fruit compote, or even whipped cream. Your guests will adore this sweet and savory combo!
🏆 Expert Tips. What to Pay Attention To?
- For that irresistible buttery flavor, make sure your butter is at room temperature before you start mixing. Softened butter blends effortlessly with the other ingredients, ensuring a tender texture that’ll make you swoon with every bite.
- As we whisk our ingredients together, remember to mix until just combined. Overmixing may seem like a harmless trick, but it can lead to tough biscuits that lack that tender enchantment we crave. A few lumps here and there are perfectly fine – embrace the rustic charm!
- Before popping those delightful dough mounds into the oven, let them sit in the fridge for about 15 minutes. This cool-down time will help the biscuits hold their shape and rise to biscuit stardom while baking.
- Watch the wand… I mean, oven. Keep an eagle eye on your biscuits while they work their magic in the oven. Baking times may vary depending on your oven’s temperament. A golden-brown hue and a heavenly aroma are your signals that the biscuits are ready to dazzle.
🤔 Answering Your Questions:
Is Brown Sugar Essential for the Recipe, or Can I Use Other Sweeteners?
Brown sugar adds a delightful molasses flavor to the biscuits, but you can absolutely explore other sweeteners. Granulated white sugar or coconut sugar can be used as substitutes, offering their unique flavor profiles to the biscuits.
Do I Need to Chill the Dough Before Baking?
Yes, indeed! After you’ve mixed the dough, it’s essential to let it chill in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes. This brief cool-down time will help the biscuits maintain their shape and rise beautifully during baking.
How Will I Know When the Biscuits Are Done Baking?
Keep an eye on the biscuits while they work their magic in the oven. Baking times can vary, but a sure sign of doneness is when the biscuits turn a lovely golden-brown color and emit a heavenly aroma. Trust your senses – they won’t let you down!
Can I Add Extra Ingredients to the Recipe for More Variety?
Absolutely! Feel free to get creative and customize your biscuits. Add-ins like chocolate chips, chopped nuts, or a sprinkle of sea salt can take these biscuits to the next level, adding a touch of personal magic to the recipe.
Can I Make the Biscuits in Advance?
Yes, you can! These biscuits can be prepared in advance and stored in an airtight container for a few days. To enjoy them warm, pop them back into the oven for a few minutes before serving to refresh their enchanting flavors.
Can I Freeze the Biscuits for Later?
Absolutely! Once cooled, you can freeze the biscuits in an airtight container or ziplock bag. When you’re craving some biscuit magic, simply thaw them at room temperature or pop them in the oven for a few minutes to rekindle their irresistible charm.
📋 Recipe Card:
4 Ingredient Caramel Biscuits
- Take the butter out ahead of time so it reaches room temperature.
- Put the butter, flour, and sugar in a bowl. Mix until you get a crumbly dough.½ cup Butter, 1 cup Self-rising flour, ½ cup Brown Sugar
- Add golden syrup and mix again until you get a homogeneous and creamy mass.2 tablespoons golden Syrup
- Let the dough cool and stabilize for about 1 hour in the refrigerator.
- Form balls of dough, you can use an ice cream scoop.
- Bake at 375°F (about 190°C) for around 15 minutes. Enjoy your freshly baked caramel biscuits.
I highly recommend reading the entire recipe to find more tips and notes about this recipe. Read Full Recipe ⇑
- You can shape the biscuits to your preference – round, square, or use cookie cutters for fun shapes! Just keep in mind that the baking time may vary depending on the size and thickness of the biscuits.
- Keep an Eye on the Oven. These biscuits can go from golden to overly brown in a matter of minutes. Stay vigilant to prevent over-baking.
- For a delightfully sweet and salty contrast, sprinkle a pinch of flaky sea salt on top of the biscuits before baking. The balance of flavors will add an irresistible gourmet touch.
- Create a mesmerizing caramel swirl effect by gently drizzling some extra caramel sauce over the biscuit dough before baking. It adds a touch of elegance and extra caramel goodness.
- Take your biscuits up a notch by turning them into scrumptious sandwich cookies! Spread a layer of caramel sauce or caramel-flavored frosting between two biscuits to create a divine treat.
- Recipe Doubling: Hosting a grand feast or have a big crowd to enchant? Double the recipe for an abundant supply of these irresistible biscuits that’ll leave everyone under their spell!