This zucchini casserole made from only 4 ingredients is a simple and delicious alternative to the classic zucchini casserole. It is crunchy due to the breadcrumbs and parmesan mix, while in the middle, it still remains soft, which will conquer everybody with that contrast of the textures. A perfect dinner recipe that you can enjoy as is near a dipping sauce or served near a piece of meat or fish.
Today I want to share a delicious and easy recipe that will satisfy your cravings for something savory and cheesy without spending hours in the kitchen.
We all know that zucchini is one of those veggies that we tend to forget about but trust me when it’s baked to perfection with parmesan, breadcrumbs, and granulated garlic, it becomes a flavor bomb that you won’t be able to resist.
And the best part? You only need four ingredients to make it happen!
So, this recipe is perfect for you whether you’re a seasoned cook or just starting out. It’s simple, fast, and packed with flavor. And let’s not forget about the amazing texture – crispy on the outside, soft and creamy on the inside.
Now, before we dive into the recipe, let’s talk about why this dish is so amazing.
First of all, zucchini is a nutrient-packed vegetable that’s low in calories but high in fiber and vitamins, and it it the perfect base for a delicious casserole meal.
And when you add in the parmesan, breadcrumbs, and granulated garlic, you get a cheesy, crunchy, and flavorful topping that takes this dish to the next level.
The best part about this recipe is that it’s so versatile. You can serve it as a side dish with your favorite protein or make it the main event with a side salad.
It’s also a great way to use up any zucchini that you may have lying around in your fridge.
Now, let’s talk about the process. The recipe is super simple to follow and only takes a few minutes to prepare.
All you have to do is slice the zucchini into thin rounds and toss it with parmesan, breadcrumbs, and granulated garlic.
Then, bake it in the oven until it’s golden brown and crispy.
Let’s get cooking and make this 4 ingredient zucchini casserole tonight! I promise it’ll be a hit with your taste buds and your family and friends.
🥘 Ingredients and Substitutes
- Parmesan. I recommend you use freshly grated parmesan to get a richer taste. If you don’t have parmesan at hand, you could replace it with another hard cheese you prefer.
- Breadcrumbs. If you don’t have them at hand or want a more crunchy texture, you can replace them totally or substantially with panko.
- Garlic Powder. I used dried garlic powder, but if you prefer a stronger garlic flavor, you can use fresh garlic cloves instead.
- Zucchini. You can replace it with any other type of summer squash.
👩🍳 Step-by-step Directions
Cut the zucchini into slices of approximately the same thickness to ensure that they will all cook the same and they will have the same texture.
On another plate, mix breadcrumbs, parmesan, garlic powder, and salt.
After this, arrange the zucchini slices in a single layer on the bottom of the casserole and sprinkle with a little bit of oil.
Pro Tip: Oil will help the breadcrumbs to stick better to the zucchini slices.
After this, sprinkle over the zucchini slices with ⅓ of the total amount of the crust mix that we made previously.
Quick Note: Until you will make two more layers with zucchini and crust mix, preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
Repeat this step 2 more times to get 3 layers of zucchini and 3 layers of crust mix.
When you have the casserole ready, bake it at 350°F (180°C) for about 15-20 minutes.
You can serve the whole casserole on the table depending on the type of dinner you plan to serve them.
Or, if you are planning a more special dinner, you could divide the zucchini slices into portions and serve them more elegantly.
🍽️ Serving Suggestions
- This casserole perfectly accompanies grilled chicken, fish, or steak. It’s also great with a simple green salad.
- Serve the casserole as the main event with some garlic bread on the side. If you will use vegetarian cheese, then it is also a great option for a vegetarian meal.
- Try serving the casserole with a side of marinara sauce or ranch dressing for dipping. It’s a fun and flavorful way to enjoy this dish.
🏆 Expert Tips. What to Pay Attention To?
- Look for zucchini that are firm, shiny, and have smooth skin. Avoid any that are wrinkled, soft, or have blemishes.
- It’s important to slice the zucchini into even rounds so that they cook evenly. Use a mandoline or a sharp knife to get uniform slices.
- Use freshly grated parmesan: Freshly grated parmesan has more flavor than pre-shredded cheese. Grate it yourself for the best results.
- For added texture and flavor, use a mixture of panko breadcrumbs and traditional breadcrumbs. Panko gives you a crispy texture, while traditional breadcrumbs add more flavor.
- Keep an eye on the casserole while it’s in the oven, and take it out as soon as the top is golden brown and the zucchini is tender. Overbaking can result in a dry and unappetizing dish.
🤔 Answering Your Questions:
Can I Use a Different Type of Cheese Instead of Parmesan?
Yes, you can! Try using grated pecorino romano, cheddar, or mozzarella for a different flavor and texture.
How Can I Make This Recipe Gluten-Free?
Simply use gluten-free breadcrumbs in place of traditional breadcrumbs.
Can I Add Other Vegetables to This Recipe?
Absolutely! Add sliced mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, or bell peppers for flavor and texture. Just ensure that all of the ingredients will cook evenly. Those that are cooking faster are cut into thicker slices.
How Long Will Leftovers Last in the Fridge?
Leftovers will last for up to 3-4 days in the refrigerator when stored in an airtight container.
📋 Recipe Card:
4 Ingredient Zucchini Casserole
- ½ cup Parmesan
- ⅓ cup Breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 3 Zucchini
- Slice the zucchini into similar thick slices.3 Zucchini
- In another plate, mix the breadcrumbs with parmesan and garlic powder.½ cup Parmesan, ⅓ cup Breadcrumbs, 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- Take the casserole and arrange ⅓ of the zucchini slices in a single layer.
- Sprinkle with a little bit of oil, then add ⅓ of the crust mix we did earlier.
- Repeat the previous two steps two more times.
- Bake the zucchini in the preheated oven at 350°F (180°C) for about 15-20 minutes.
I highly recommend reading the entire recipe to find more tips and notes about this recipe. Read Full Recipe ⇑
- Ensure that you will cut the zucchini into slices of a similar size. This will help them to cook evenly and to get a similar texture.
- In order to get a better flavor from the parmesan, consider freshly shredded parmesan.
- If you like the crunchy texture, you can substitute the breadcrumbs with panko. Or you can make a 1:1 mix of breadcrumbs and panko.
Leave a Reply