This 5 ingredients hash brown casserole is a simple and satisfying breakfast or brunch recipe that you can make for the entire family. You will need only 5 simple ingredients and minimum effort from your side. Just mix everything and let it bake in the oven while you will do your other stuff. Give a try to this heaty and flavorful casserole that is perfect for any occasion.
With a base of deliciously crispy shredded potatoes and a savory mix of crispy bacon, sharp cheddar cheese, sweet onions, and a blend of your favorite spices for potatoes or vegetables, this casserole is a comforting and filling dish that’s sure to be a crowd-pleaser.
It is an ideal recipe to serve up for a lazy weekend brunch or as a quick and easy dinner on a busy weeknight.
This easy-to-make hashbrown casserole is guaranteed to become a family favorite.
Simply mix the shredded potatoes, bacon, onion, and spices in a bowl. Then spread the mixture into a casserole dish, and bake in the oven until golden and crispy.
Then in the last 5 minutes, remove the casserole from the oven, sprinkle over the hashbrown some freshly grated cheddar cheese, and return it in the oven for another 5 minutes or until the cheese melts.
The end result is a delicious, hearty casserole that’s perfect for any occasion.
You will love making this recipe because it is versatile, and you can adjust it according to your or your family’s preferences.
You can easily switch out the bacon for ham or sausage or add in some diced peppers or mushrooms for a little extra flavor
🥰 Why You Will Love This Recipe?
- It is a quick and easy recipe where you have only 5 ingredients that need to mix and put everything into the oven to bake.
- It is very flavorful and delicious. The combination of crispy shredded potatoes, savory bacon, sharp cheddar cheese, sweet onions, and a blend of spices is sure to please even the pickiest eaters.
- As we use only 5 ingredients, it is very easy to customize, so you can add your favorite ingredients or make substitutions based on your tastes or dietary restrictions.
- It’s a crowd-pleaser. Whether you’re serving it up for a lazy weekend brunch, a potluck, a family gathering, or as a quick and easy dinner, this casserole is sure to be a hit with everyone.
🥘 Ingredients and Substitutes
- Hashbrowns. I made the hashbrowns from scratch, but if you want to shorten the cooking and preparation time, you can opt for frozen hashbrowns. In this case, you will have to cook them after the time indicated on the package.
- Bacon. You can use any salami you prefer or replace it with boiled meat.
- Cheese. I used cheddar cheese, but you could use any other type of cheese you prefer.
- Onion. We are using the onion to give juiciness and more flavor to the food. If you don’t have onion at hand, you can replace it with leek.
- Spices. You can use a store-bought mix of spices for potatoes or make your own mix of spices that you prefer using with potatoes and other vegetables.
👩🍳 Step-by-step Directions
First, you need to finely chop the onion, cut the bacon into small pieces, and grate the potatoes if you’re making the hashbrowns from scratch.
After that, put the shredded potatoes, onions, bacon, and spices in a deep bowl that will be convenient for you to mix them all.
Mix all the ingredients well.
Transfer all the ingredients to a casserole in which you plan to bake the hashbrowns.
Attention: If you decide to use frozen storebought hashbrowns, follow the cooking time on the package.
Cover the casserole with aluminum foil to avoid burning the top surface.
Bake the hashbrown for 40 minutes at 350°F (180°C).
Quick Note: The cooking time may vary depending on the type of potatoes you use.
After this time, remove the aluminum foil, sprinkle over with freshly shredded cheddar cheese, and return the casserole to the oven for 5 minutes or until the cheese melts.
In the end, you should get a nice golden cheese crust on top that will not be burned.
For extra freshness and color on your plate, you can sprinkle some freshly chopped dill, parsley, or spring onions before serving.
🍽️ Serving Suggestions
I recommend you serve the bacon hashbrowns while it is still hot because when the potatoes cool down, they will become tougher and more bitter.
You can serve them near a simple green salad for a quick and easy dinner on a busy weeknight, or serve the hash browns for breakfast or brunch near some fried eggs, fresh fruit, and a hot cup of coffee.
Another option is to serve it as a side dish alongside grilled chicken or steak for a hearty and satisfying meal.
🏆 Expert Tips. What to Pay Attention To?
- If you use freshly grated potatoes, try to cook them as quickly as possible after grating them because they will change color.
- Make sure to squeeze out excess moisture from the shredded potatoes. This will help ensure that your casserole comes out crispy and golden rather than soggy.
- As the cooking time can vary, depending on the type of potatoes, after 30 minutes, check the potatoes and adjust the cooking time if necessary. If you are using store-bought frozen hashbrowns, follow the cooking time from the package.
- It is necessary to cover with aluminum foil to ensure that the outside surface will not be burnt and the potatoes will be well cooked inside.
- If you have the option, grate the cheese just before adding it to the hash browns. As cheddar cheese has an important role in this recipe, you will get a better result if the cheddar has a stronger taste.
- Be careful not to overcook the casserole. Check it frequently as it bakes, and remove it from the oven once the top is golden brown and the center is set.
♻️ Make Ahead, Storage, and Heating:
Can I Prepare It Ahead of time?
You can easily assemble the casserole the night before and refrigerate it until you’re ready to bake it in the morning. This makes it a perfect option for hosting guests or for meal prepping for the week ahead.
How Long Does It Last in the Fridge?
3-5 days if you don’t mind the change of taste of the potatoes.
Can You Freeze the Hash Browns Casserole?
You can easily freeze the 5 ingredients of bacon hashbrowns for up to 3 months. All you will need to do is wait until it completely cools down, then cover it with cling film and aluminum foil, or move the meal into a air-tight container that is freezer friendly.
How to Reheat the hashbrown casserole?
If I need to reheat the hashbrown casserole, then usually I prefer to cover it with aluminum foil and bake it in the oven for about 7 minutes or until it becomes hot enough for you.
📋 Recipe Card:
5 Ingredient Hash Brown Casserole
- 20 oz Hashbrowns
- 4.5 oz Bacon
- 4.5 oz Cheese
- 1 Onion
- 1 teaspoon Mix of spices for potatoes
- Grate the potatoes. If you go with the frozen hashbrowns skip this first step.20 oz Hashbrowns
- Chop the onion and cut the bacon into small cubes.1 Onion, 4.5 oz Bacon
- Mix the hash browns with chopped onions, bacon, and the spices mix you decided to use.20 oz Hashbrowns, 4.5 oz Bacon, 1 Onion, 1 teaspoon Mix of spices for potatoes
- Transfer all the ingredients to a casserole and cover it with aluminum foil to avoid burning the top surface.
- Bake the hashbrown for 30-40 minutes at 350°F (180°C). In case you used fresh shredded potatoes and if you used frozen hash browns, use the cooking time indicated on the package.
- Remove the aluminum foil, and grate the cheddar cheese over the hashbrowns. Return to the oven for about 5 minutes or until the cheese melts.4.5 oz Cheese
- The 5-ingredient hash brown casserole is ready to be served!
I highly recommend reading the entire recipe to find more tips and notes about this recipe. Read Full Recipe ⇑
- If you use frozen hash browns use the cooking time from the package is it will be different.
- If you use fresh potatoes and want to ensure that the hashbrowns casserole will be crispy, then squeeze out the excess of moisture from them.
- Cover with aluminum foil to avoid burning the surface and to let the hash browns cook more evenly. In the last 5 minutes, remove the aluminum foil to let the surface become golden and crispy.
- Use freshly grated cheese to get a stronger flavor of cheddar cheese.