A perfect 4-ingredient basic biscuits recipe if you are tired of complicated biscuit recipes that require endless ingredients and steps. With just 4 basic ingredients, you can now bake delicious and fluffy biscuits with ease. Whether you’re a seasoned baker or a beginner, this simple recipe is guaranteed to satisfy your biscuit cravings.
Biscuits are a staple in Southern cuisine and are loved for their soft and flaky texture. However, many biscuit recipes can be overwhelming, with a long list of ingredients and complicated steps.
But with this 4-ingredient recipe, you’ll be able to enjoy the taste of homemade biscuits without any fuss. Shortening, all-purpose flour, baking powder, and an egg are all you need to make this classic dish.
The beauty of this recipe is that it’s incredibly versatile and can be adapted to suit your taste preferences. You can add in your favorite herbs, spices, or cheese to give it an extra kick of flavor.
The possibilities are endless! Whether you’re feeding a crowd or just satisfying your own cravings, these 4-ingredient basic biscuits are sure to be a hit.
So, preheat your oven, and let’s get started!
🥰 Why You Will Love This Recipe?
- It is a simple and affordable recipe that calls for only 4 ingredients.
- You can make it in no time and without any experience in baking. There are only a few simple steps that are easy to follow.
- It is a versatile recipe as you can add also other ingredients besides these basic ingredients.
- These basic biscuits are perfect for any occasion. No matter if you plan to serve these biscuits for breakfast, brunch, or as a snack – they will be a hit.
🥘 Ingredients and Substitutes
- All-purpose flour. I used all-purpose flour. But you can easily substitute it with the whole-wheat flour
- Shortening. You can replace it with margarine or butter.
- Baking Powder.
👩🍳 Step-by-step Directions
Quick Note: To be easier for you to mix the shortening with the rest of the ingredients I would recommend leaving the shortening on the table for about half an hour before you plan to start making this recipe. By doing that, the shortening will soften and it will be easier for you to mix it with the rest of the ingredients.
When you have softened the shortening, take a deep bowl and pour in it the all-purpose flour, shortening, baking powder, and salt.
Mix well until you incorporate the ingredients.
After this, add a raw egg and mix well all the ingredients.
Keep mixing until the egg is incorporated and you can form a ball from the dough.
After you formed the dough, put it in a bag or wrap it in cling film.
Leave the dough in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
After this time, take it out of the bag and spread it on a hard surface.
Quick Note: Ensure that the dough has the same thickness on the entire surface.
Cut the dough using a glass, or a cookie cutter as you can see in the image below.
Quick Note: You can also cut the dough with a knife into squares of equal size if you don’t prefer the biscuits to be rounded shape.
Take a baking tray, spread baking paper on it to avoid the biscuits sticking to the bottom of the tray, and arrange the biscuits on the tray.
Quick Note: Leave a little space a little space between the biscuits because if you put them too close, they could increase in volume and stick to each other.
Preheat the oven and bake the biscuits for about 25 minutes at 320°F (160°C).
In the end, you will get some crumbly and airy basic biscuits.
🏆 Expert Tips. What to Pay Attention To?
- Don’t mix the dough too much. Just make sure that the ingredients was combined together. Overworking the dough can lead to tough, dense biscuits. Be sure to handle the dough gently, and don’t knead it too much.
- Ensure that the dough has the same thickness on the entire surface. Otherwise, you may risk that the biscuits will not cook evenly. While some of them may be overcooked, others may remain undercooked.
- Cooling the biscuits properly is important to prevent them from becoming soggy. Let the biscuits cool on a wire rack for a few minutes before serving.
♻️ Make Ahead, Storage, and Heating:
Can I Prepare It Ahead of time?
You can easily make the basic biscuits ahead of time because they will not change their taste or texture if you will keep them in a place away from humidity and heat.
How Long Does they Last in the Fridge?
You can keep them in the fridge for about 10 days in an air-tight container.
Can You Freeze the basic biscuits?
If you need to keep the basic biscuits for a longer time, and you want to get the best possible taste, I recommend you shape the biscuits and put them in the freezer before baking them.
Thus, when you will need to serve them, take them out of the freezer, and bake the basic biscuits directly from frozen. Keep in mind that you will have to increase the baking time by about 5-7 minutes.
📋 Recipe Card:
4 Ingredients Basic Biscuits
- Before we will begin, leave the shortening 30 minutes to soften it to be easier for you to mix it later.4.5 oz Shortening
- After that, take a large deep bowl, and pour in it the flour, shortening, baking powder and salt.2 cup All-purpose flour, 4.5 oz Shortening, 2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- Mix well until you will incorporate all the ingredients.
- Add a raw egg and incorporate it into the dough.1 Egg
- Cover the dough in a cling film or put it in a plastic bag. Now, move it to the fridge for about 2 hours.
- Spread the dough on a hard surface and using a glass, knife, or cookie cutter, cut the biscuits.
- Bake them in the oven for about 25 minutes at 320°F (160°C).
I highly recommend reading the entire recipe to find more tips and notes about this recipe. Read Full Recipe ⇑
- Before you will begin, leave the shortening at room temperature for about 30 minutes to soften it.
- After you will form the dough and will spread it on a hard surface, ensure that the dough will have a similar thickness on the entire surface.
- Don’t mix the dough for too much because you may risk getting dense biscuits. Mix it just enough to incorporate the ingredients.