This 4 ingredient tomato and onion salad is your ticket to a cool, refreshing, and utterly delightful meal. Ripe tomatoes, sweet onions, briny olives, and fragrant oregano create a refreshing dish. It’s simple, it’s scrumptious, and it’s a flavor explosion you won’t want to miss. Let’s get our salad groove on!
Are you ready for a salad that’ll dance on your taste buds and save you from the sweltering summer heat? Well, I’ve got just the thing for you – a simple and delicious 4 ingredient tomato and onion salad.
It’s like a refreshing breeze on a scorching day, a symphony of flavors that will have you craving salads year-round.
Now, let’s talk about the tomatoes, shall we?
Those ripe, juicy orbs of sunshine are at their absolute best during the summer. They’re so plump and aromatic; that you’ll feel like you’re biting into a piece of summer itself. And when we’re wilting in the heat, a light and crisp salad is our savior.
Now, add onion for a little zing and to balance the sweetness of the tomatoes with their irresistible bite and in the end a few olives and oregano.
This perfect combination will take your taste buds on a Mediterranean vacation, even if you’re just chilling in your backyard.
Let’s dive in!
🥰 Why You Will Love This Recipe?
- Summer Simplicity: When the sun’s blazing, and you’re too tired to cook, this recipe comes to the rescue. With just four ingredients, it’s a breeze to make, and you’ll be back to enjoying your summer day in no time.
- Vibrant Flavors: Fresh, ripe tomatoes bursting with flavor, paired with crunchy onions and the briny goodness of olives – it’s a flavor party in your mouth. The simplicity of the ingredients allows each one to shine, creating a harmonious and delicious combination.
- Versatility: This salad isn’t just a side dish; it can steal the spotlight as a main course too! Add some grilled chicken, shrimp, or your favorite protein, and you’ve got a complete, satisfying meal.
- Healthy and Nutritious: It’s not only delicious but also nutritious. Tomatoes are packed with vitamins, onions bring their antioxidants to the table, olives offer healthy fats, and oregano is loaded with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties. So, you’re indulging your taste buds and your health simultaneously.
- Time-Saver: Got unexpected guests dropping by? Whip up this salad, and you’ll have a showstopper ready in minutes. It’s perfect for impromptu gatherings and potlucks.
- A Taste of Summer: This salad encapsulates the essence of summer. It’s like capturing sunshine in a bowl. You’ll feel like you’re savoring the very best of the season with each bite.
🥘 Ingredients and Substitutes
- Tomatoes are the star of the show, providing juiciness, sweetness, and a burst of summery flavor to the salad. You can substitute tomatoes with ripe cherry tomatoes, heirloom tomatoes, or even juicy red bell peppers for a slightly different flavor profile.
- Onions add a refreshing crunch and a mild, tangy kick to the salad. If you’re not a fan of raw onions, try substituting them with thinly sliced shallots or sweet Vidalia onions for a milder flavor.
- Olives: Olives contribute a briny, salty element that contrasts beautifully with the sweetness of the tomatoes. If you’re not an olive enthusiast, consider using capers or pickled cucumbers (cornichons) to provide that tangy, briny note.
- Oregano infuses the salad with a delightful herbaceous aroma and a hint of earthy, peppery flavor. Swap oregano for fresh basil leaves or parsley for a different herbal twist, or try dried basil or thyme for a slightly altered flavor profile.
👩🍳 Step-by-step Directions
Of course, like any salad, all we need to do is essentially chop the vegetables and mix them together.
However, to start, I want to emphasize that the taste of this salad depends greatly on the tomatoes we choose. Opt for tomatoes that are juicy, firm, aromatic, and glossy.
Pro Tip: Sharpen your knife well. Seasonal tomatoes are very juicy, and if the knife isn’t sharp, we might ruin them and compromise their delicate texture.
Slice the tomatoes into semi-circles with slices about ¼” thick and arrange half of the quantity directly on the plate where you will serve the salad.
Season with salt and dried oregano.
Quick Note: If you prefer, you can also use other dried or fresh herbs such as basil, parsley, cilantro, or any other aromatic herbs you think would complement the tomatoes.
Julienne the onion and separate each layer from one another. Arrange half of the quantity of onion over the tomatoes.
Repeat the layering process with tomatoes and onions once more, and finally, top it off with the olives and drizzle with a bit of extra virgin olive oil.
You can serve the salad immediately, or you can refrigerate it for about half an hour to allow the flavors to meld and cool, which will elevate it to another level on a hot summer day.
🍽️ Serving Suggestions
- Rustic Italian Brunch: Imagine a sun-drenched morning in Tuscany. Pair your salad with a freshly baked focaccia or crusty ciabatta bread. Drizzle the bread with some extra-virgin olive oil, sprinkle it with a pinch of sea salt, and toast it until it’s golden and crisp. Serve your salad on a large platter, letting those vibrant colors steal the show. A glass of chilled Prosecco or homemade lemonade is the perfect accompaniment. It’s the kind of brunch that dreams are made of!
- Mediterranean Mezze Spread: Transport your taste buds to the shores of the Mediterranean with a mezze-inspired feast. Alongside your salad, set out a spread of hummus, tzatziki, grilled pita bread, and some feta cheese. Let everyone assemble their own mini-pitas with a spoonful of salad, a dollop of creamy dip, and a sprinkle of crumbled feta. It’s a Mediterranean party on your plate, bursting with flavors and textures.
- Grilled Goodness: Fire up the grill, and let’s get smoky! Pair your salad with grilled chicken, shrimp, or even a juicy steak. Marinate your protein in a zesty lemon and herb dressing to complement the salad’s flavors. The charred, smoky notes from the grill will add a whole new dimension to your meal. Don’t forget some grilled corn on the cob or asparagus on the side for that extra summery touch.
- Picnic in the Park: Pack a wicker basket with your salad, some crusty baguette slices, a selection of cheeses (like mozzarella, pecorino, and gouda), and a handful of mixed nuts. Spread out a cozy blanket in your favorite park, and let the salad be the star of your picnic. It’s a fuss-free, alfresco dining experience that celebrates the simple joys of summer.
- Tapas Night: Transform your salad into a tapas masterpiece. Serve it alongside an array of small dishes like patatas bravas, Spanish tortilla, and grilled chorizo. Create a tapas spread that encourages sharing and savoring the flavors. A pitcher of sangria or some sparkling water infused with citrus slices and mint will complete the Spanish fiesta vibe.
😻 Other Recipes You May Enjoy
- Healthy 4 Ingredient Potato Salad
- Easy Pittsburgh Chicken Salad
- 4 Ingredient Tomato And Feta Salad
- 4 Ingredient Eggplant And Feta Salad
- Shrimp Pasta Salad With Italian Dressing
🏆 Expert Tips. What to Pay Attention To?
- Choose tomatoes that are in season for the juiciest, most flavorful results. Summer tomatoes are an absolute must! Look for varieties like heirloom, beefsteak, or cherry tomatoes for a diverse and colorful salad.
- When using raw onions, slice them as thinly as possible. Soak them in ice water for about 10 minutes before adding them to the salad to mellow their sharpness. You’ll get that delightful crunch without overwhelming your taste buds.
- Feel free to experiment with olive varieties. Kalamata, green, or even stuffed olives can add unique flavors and textures to your salad. Just make sure to pit them if they aren’t already.
- If you’re using fresh herbs like basil or parsley, tear or chop them just before serving to keep their flavors vibrant. If you opt for dried herbs, remember that they are more concentrated, so use them sparingly – a little goes a long way.
- Present your salad in a beautiful bowl or on a platter. Arrange the ingredients thoughtfully, letting the colors and textures shine. A sprinkle of extra herbs on top not only adds flavor but also makes it look even more irresistible.
- This salad is a canvas for your creativity. Add extras like crumbled feta cheese, toasted pine nuts, or avocado slices to make it your own. The possibilities are as endless as your imagination!
🤔 Answering Your Questions:
Can I Use Different Types of Tomatoes in This Salad?
Absolutely! You can get creative with your tomato selection. Heirloom, cherry, beefsteak, or even Roma tomatoes will work beautifully. Just remember to use ripe, seasonal ones for the best flavor.
How Do I Choose the Perfect Tomato for This Salad?
Look for tomatoes that are firm but give slightly when gently squeezed. They should have a vibrant color and a sweet, earthy aroma. In summer, farmers’ markets are your best bet for the juiciest, most flavorful tomatoes.
I’m Not a Fan of Raw Onions; Can I Use Something Else?
Certainly! If you find raw onions too pungent, you can substitute them with thinly sliced shallots or sweet Vidalia onions. Soaking them in ice water for a bit can also mellow their flavor.
Is It Okay to Add Extra Ingredients Like Cheese or Nuts to the Salad?
Yes, feel free to get creative! Crumbled feta cheese, toasted pine nuts, or avocado slices are fantastic additions. They can elevate the salad and make it even more satisfying.
Can I Make a Larger Batch for a Crowd?
Absolutely! Just scale up the ingredients accordingly to feed your crowd. It’s a fantastic option for potlucks and gatherings.
📋 Recipe Card:
4 Ingredient Tomato and Onion Salad
- Slice the tomatoes into semi-circles and arrange half of them on a plate.18 oz Tomato
- Season with salt and oregano.½ teaspoon Oregano
- Julienne the onion and arrange half of it over the tomatoes.6 oz Onion
- Repeat the two layers.
- Arrange the olives on top and drizzle with a bit of olive oil.⅓ cup Olives, 1 tablespoon olive oil
I highly recommend reading the entire recipe to find more tips and notes about this recipe. Read Full Recipe ⇑
- Onion Prep: If you’re not a fan of the sharpness of raw onions, soak them in ice water for about 10 minutes before adding them to the salad. This will mellow their flavor while retaining their delightful crunch.
- Olive Varieties: Experiment with different types of olives for unique flavors and textures. Kalamata, green, or stuffed olives can add exciting dimensions to your salad.
- Herb Options: While oregano is fantastic, you can also try other herbs like basil or parsley. If using dried herbs, remember to use half the amount, as they are more concentrated.
- Customization: Don’t hesitate to make this salad your own by adding extras like crumbled feta cheese, toasted pine nuts, or avocado slices for an extra layer of flavor and texture.
- Serving Temperature: Serve the salad slightly chilled, making it a perfect choice for a refreshing summer dish.