Get ready for a flavorful adventure with the iconic Pittsburgh chicken salad! Combining crispy French fries, chicken cutlets, vibrant veggies, and a creamy dressing. This recipe is a salad lover’s dream come true. Prepare to indulge in a delightful mix of textures and flavors that will leave you craving more.
Buckle up, because I’ve got a recipe that’s going to make your heart (and your stomach) sing: an easy Pittsburgh chicken salad!
Now, I know what you’re thinking: “Pittsburgh and salad? How do those two even go together?”
Well, my friends, let me tell you, this salad is a culinary adventure you won’t want to miss.
We’re throwing in some vibrant cherry tomatoes, crisp iceberg lettuce, refreshing cucumbers, and a kick of tangy red onion.
It’s like a flavor explosion in every bite! And here’s the best part: I’ve whipped up a special dressing that will make your taste buds dance with joy.
I’ve combined creamy mayo with a touch of Greek yogurt to give you a healthier twist on this classic favorite.
If you’re starting to make this recipe from scratch, then just grab a few chicken breasts and slice 1-2 potatoes to make some delicious French fries, pop them in the air fryer or oven for a quick crisping session, and voila!
You’ve got the star ingredients for this amazing salad. Now, all you have to do is assemble the salad, and you’ll have a satisfying meal ready to go in minutes.
So, my friends, whether you’re a Pittsburgh native or just looking for a salad that’s a little out of the ordinary, Pittsburgh chicken salad is the answer to your cravings. Get ready to embark on a flavor-filled journey, where chicken and fries meet fresh veggies and a creamy dressing.
🥰 Why You Will Love This Recipe?
- This recipe combines the best of two worlds: the hearty flavors of chicken cutlets and the crispy goodness of French fries, all in a vibrant salad. It’s a unique and delicious way to reinvent your leftovers and create something truly special.
- Who doesn’t love a meal that comes together in a flash? With the option to use leftover chicken cutlets and French fries, or quickly prepare them in an air fryer or oven, this salad is a time-saving solution for busy days when you still want a flavorful and satisfying meal.
- By using a combination of Greek yogurt and mayo for the dressing, this recipe offers a lighter and healthier alternative to traditional mayo-heavy dressings. You can enjoy all the creaminess and tang without any guilt!
- The addition of vibrant cherry tomatoes, crisp iceberg lettuce, refreshing cucumbers, and zesty red onion brings a burst of freshness to every bite. The combination of textures and flavors creates a salad that is truly invigorating and satisfying.
- While this recipe is fantastic as is, you can also customize it to suit your preferences. Add some sliced avocado for creaminess or sprinkle on some crumbled feta cheese for an extra tang. The possibilities are endless, so you can make it your own!
- Let’s face it, salads can sometimes be predictable. But not this one! Easy Pittsburgh Chicken Salad breaks the mold and brings excitement to your salad bowl. It’s a conversation starter and a delightful surprise for anyone lucky enough to try it.
🥘 Ingredients and Substitutes
- Chicken Cutlet – The star of our easy Pittsburgh chicken salad. If you have some leftovers then this is a perfect option to use them, or you can make from scratch those chicken cutlets. For a twist, you can substitute it with a turkey cutlet for a similar texture, or opt for marinated and grilled tofu for a vegetarian or vegan alternative.
- French Fries – Crispy French fries add a delightful crunch and a touch of indulgence to the salad. If you’re looking for a healthier alternative, you may opt for sweet potato fries or carrot fries for a slightly sweeter twist.
- Cherry Tomatoes – Bursting with sweetness and juiciness, cherry tomatoes provide a vibrant pop of color to the salad. In case you’re out of cherry tomatoes, grape tomatoes make an excellent substitute with their similar flavor profile. Alternatively, diced regular tomatoes can also work.
- Iceberg Salad – With its crisp and refreshing nature, iceberg lettuce adds texture and a mild flavor to the salad. If you’re looking for alternatives, consider using romaine lettuce for a similar crunch, or opt for butter lettuce to add an elegant touch.
- Cucumbers – Cucumbers contribute a cool and refreshing element to the salad, enhancing its overall freshness. In case you’re in need of a substitute, zucchini sliced into thin rounds or matchsticks can provide a similar refreshing crunch. Alternatively, thinly sliced celery can also offer a crispy texture.
- Red Onion – Red onions add a sharp and pungent flavor to balance the salad’s overall taste. For milder alternatives, scallions or green onions chopped into the green parts can provide a similar flavor profile. Shallots, when finely diced, can also offer a slightly sweet and pungent substitute.
- Mayonnaise and Greek Yogurt Sauce – Our creamy dressing combines mayonnaise and Greek yogurt, offering a tangy and rich element. If you’re looking for alternatives, sour cream can be a substitute, providing a tangy and creamy flavor. Another option is to blend ripe avocado with a splash of lemon juice and a drizzle of olive oil for a creamy and nutritious dressing.
👩🍳 Step-by-step Directions
The most complex step in preparing this salad is the mixing of the dressing. Yes, this is how complicated this salad is.
So, let’s start with preparing the salad dressing.
For this, we need to blend the yogurt and mayonnaise, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
After you have the salad dressing, leave it apart, and cut the tomatoes, and cucumbers into small pieces.
Right after them, cut the onions and break the salad leaves.
Layer the vegetables one over the other.
Quick Note: If you like, you can sprinkle a bit of salt between the layers if the dressing isn’t overly salty. If we add a little bit of salt, in the end, after we will mix all the vegetables, we will get a perfectly balanced salad.
Drizzle on top of the vegetables about ⅔ of the prepared dressing.
Then top it with the shredded chicken schnitzel and the french fries, and pour the remaining dressing over it.
Your salad is now ready to be served.
🍽️ Serving Suggestions
- Wrap It Up: Take your Pittsburgh chicken salad on a culinary adventure by wrapping it in a soft tortilla or a lavash flatbread. Spread a generous amount of the creamy dressing onto the wrap, then pile on the chicken, French fries, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, and red onions. Roll it up tightly, securing it with a toothpick if needed. Slice the wrap into bite-sized pinwheels, and voilà! You’ve got a delectable and portable version of this delightful salad that’s perfect for picnics or lunch on the go.
- Crispy Lettuce Cups: For a light and refreshing twist, serve your Pittsburgh chicken salad in crispy lettuce cups. Take large, sturdy lettuce leaves like romaine or butter lettuce and fill them with a generous scoop of the salad mixture. The crunchy lettuce acts as a vessel, providing a delightful contrast to the tender chicken and creamy dressing. Sprinkle some crushed French fries on top for an added crunch. These elegant lettuce cups are not only visually stunning but also a perfect finger food option for parties or gatherings.
- Bed of Grains: Elevate your salad by serving it on a bed of hearty grains. Cook up a batch of quinoa, farro, or brown rice according to the package instructions. Allow the grains to cool slightly, then spread them on a large serving platter. Arrange the chicken, French fries, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, and red onions on top of the grains. Drizzle the creamy dressing generously over the salad, allowing it to mingle with the grains. The combination of textures and flavors will make this dish a showstopper at any dinner table.
😻 Other Recipes You May Enjoy
- 4 Ingredient Tomato And Onion Salad
- Healthy 4 Ingredient Potato Salad
- 4 Ingredient Tomato And Feta Salad
- 4 Ingredient Eggplant And Feta Salad
- Shrimp Pasta Salad With Italian Dressing
🏆 Expert Tips. What to Pay Attention To?
- To achieve that irresistible crispiness of the French fries, make sure you cut your fries into thin, uniform strips. This will ensure even cooking and a perfect golden exterior. When baking or air frying, spread the fries out in a single layer, allowing them plenty of space to crisp up. And here’s a little secret: before cooking, toss them in a drizzle of olive oil and sprinkle with a touch of sea salt for that extra crunch and flavor.
- Adjust the dressing. Start by combining equal parts of mayo and Greek yogurt, and then adjust to your taste preferences. If you prefer a tangier dressing, add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. And if you like a touch of sweetness, a teaspoon of honey can work wonders. Remember, dear, taste as you go and create a dressing that makes your taste buds sing with joy.
- To achieve the perfect balance of textures in your salad, pay attention to the ingredient preparation. Cut the cherry tomatoes into halves or quarters to ensure they release their sweet juiciness with every bite. Slice the cucumbers and red onions thinly for a delicate crunch. And when it comes to iceberg lettuce, tear it into bite-sized pieces to provide that satisfying crispness. The texture is the key, so let it shine through in every component of your salad.
🤔 Answering Your Questions:
Can I Use Leftover Chicken Cutlets and French Fries for This Recipe?
Absolutely! This chicken salad is the perfect solution for utilizing leftover chicken cutlets and French fries. Simply reheat the leftovers in an air fryer or oven to crisp them up, then assemble them with the other salad ingredients. It’s a fantastic way to breathe new life into your leftovers and create a delicious meal.
Can I Prepare the Dressing Ahead of Time?
Certainly! You can prepare the creamy mayo and Greek yogurt dressing ahead of time and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. However, keep in mind that the dressing might thicken slightly upon chilling. Before serving, give it a good stir and, if needed, adjust the consistency by adding a splash of water or lemon juice to achieve your desired creaminess.
Can I Make This Salad in Advance for a Party or Gathering?
Certainly! While it’s ideal to assemble the salad just before serving to maintain the best texture, you can prepare some components in advance. For example, you can cook and season the chicken cutlets and store them in the refrigerator. Similarly, you can cook the French fries, allow them to cool, and then store them in an airtight container at room temperature. When it’s time to serve, simply assemble the salad with fresh ingredients and dressing. This way, you’ll have a head start on the preparation without compromising the overall quality.
📋 Recipe Card:
Easy Pittsburgh Chicken Salad
- Prepare the dressing by mixing the yogurt and mayonnaise and seasoning with salt and pepper.5 pieces Cherry Tomatoes, 2 tablespoon Yogurt, Salt, Black Pepper, 1 tablespoon Mayonnaise
- Cut the vegetables and layer them on top of each other.5 pieces Cherry Tomatoes, 1 Cucumber, 1 Onion, 2.5 oz Iceberg Lettuce
- Drizzle with ⅔ of the salad dressing that we made earlier.
- Slice the schnitzel and arrange it over the vegetables, along with the french fries.6 oz Chicken Cutlets, 3 oz French Fries
- Pour the remaining dressing over and our Pittsburgh chicken salad is ready to be served.
I highly recommend reading the entire recipe to find more tips and notes about this recipe. Read Full Recipe ⇑
- Leftover chicken cutlets and French fries work perfectly for this recipe, making it a great option for utilizing leftovers. However, if you don’t have leftovers, you can quickly prepare the chicken cutlets and French fries in an air fryer or oven.
- For a healthier twist, use a combination of Greek yogurt and mayonnaise in the dressing. You can adjust the ratio to your liking for a tangier or creamier flavor.
- Customize your salad by adding additional vegetables or ingredients that you love. Sliced avocado, crumbled feta cheese, or roasted bell peppers can take this salad to the next level of deliciousness.
- The salad is best served fresh, but you can prepare some components in advance to save time. Just ensure to store the dressing separately and assemble the salad right before serving for the best texture and flavor. Enjoy the flavors and textures of this delightful Easy Pittsburgh Chicken Salad!