4-ingredients Parmentier potatoes recipe that you will get in love with. These mini cubed potatoes that are easy to make, are tossed in olive oil, salt, and aromatic herbs are a perfect alternative to the classic roasted potato wedges.
Even if the name of this recipe may sound fancy, these golden potatoes are very easy to make. This recipe also can get handy if you want to try something different than the classic roasted potato wedges.
Also, for me, this recipe it’s a game-changer when we have guests with children. Usually, they eat them one by one with their hands until they finish the entire plate and they ask for more.
I love to cook them often because most of the work is done in the oven. And the best part? You need only four ingredients for this recipe.
This Parmentier potatoes recipe post includes useful tips and a few serving suggestion ideas. If you’re ready, let’s get started!
Where comes the name?
If you’re asking yourself where the name of Parmentier Potatoes comes from: Back in the middle of the 18th century, a French agriculturalist, Antoine A. Parmentier popularized the potato in France.
Because of that, nowadays, you will find a lot of French potato dishes that will have the “Parmentier” in the name.
What is Parmentier Cut (Medium dice)?
Also, you may find in other recipes “Parmentier cut”. That means you need to cut into medium cubes, that are approximately ½” x ½” x ½”. (or 1.25 cm on each side).
How to Make Parmentier Potatoes:
1. First of all you need to wash well the potatoes and peel them.
2. After that, cut the potatoes into small cubes that are approximately ½ inch on each side.
3. Now, for the extra flavor, we need to boil the potatoes.
Quick Tip: If you want to speed up the boiling process, use warm boiled water instead of using cold tap water.
4. After the water starts to boil, let the potatoes boil for another 5 minutes on low heat. Then pour the water from the pan.
Quick Note: Don’t boil the potatoes too much. They will become softer and you will lose that crunchy texture in the end.
5. Season the potatoes. In my case, I decided to use only rosemary, salt, and olive oil.
Quick Tip: For an extra flavor, you can add additional, thyme, a few garlic cloves, or “Herbs de Provence”. Also, you can add some parmesan at the end.
6. Spread evenly all the potatoes on the oven tray. Strive them into a single layer. Ideally not touching too much. This will help the potatoes obtain a uniform roast from all the sides.
7. Preheat the oven at 400°F / 200°C and move them into the oven for about 35 minutes.
Quick Tip: Because not all the ovens are working equally, you can burn easily these potatoes because they are very small and easy to overcook. So, a good tip will be to keep an eye on them after 25 minutes.
8. That’s all. Our mini roasted golden potatoes are ready to be served.
How to store the Parmentier Potatoes?
If you did a bigger portion of these roasted potatoes, you can store them in the fridge for up to 2-3 days.
Can you freeze them?
Yes, you can refrigerate the Parmentier potatoes then, when you need to serve the potatoes on the table, spread them again on a baking tray and put them in the preheated oven to 400F / 200C.
What to serve near French Parmentier potatoes?
This side dish is a very universal one. Which allows you to use it with any type of meat or fish. If you want a vegan version, you can serve them near a salad. If you’re out of ideas, you can get some inspiration from how we cooked Boneless Pork Chops, Sweet Chili Glazed Chicken Wings and for sure you should take a look at our Roasted Chicken with Garlic and Herbs
French Homemade Parmentier Potatoes
- 1. Wash well the potatoes and peel them.
- 2. After that, cut the potatoes into small cubes of ½ inch on each side.
- 3. Boil the potatoes. After the water starts to boil, let the potatoes boil for another 5 minutes on low heat. Then pour the water from the pan.
- 4. Season the potatoes. In my case, I decided to use only rosemary, salt, and olive oil.
- 5. Spread evenly all the potatoes on the oven tray.
- 6. Preheat the oven at 400°F / 200°C and move them into the oven for about 35 minutes.
- 7. Our mini roasted golden potatoes are ready to be served.