This easy yogurt plum cake is a moist and delicious up-side-down yogurt cake that is topped with fresh plum slices and crushed pistachios for an extra texture. This simple-to-make and fancy-looking plum cake is perfect for breakfast, dinner, or last-minute dessert. You can bake it in the oven or even in the air fryer for 30 minutes.
Today, I’m sharing with you one of my life-saver simple and quick desserts that you can make in under 40 minutes. A simple plum cake topped with fresh plums and crushed pistachios for an extra texture.
🥰 Why You Will Love This Recipe?
- It cooks very quickly. Especially if you opt to bake it in the air fryer. You can have it on the table in under 40 minutes.
- You can get an impressive result even if you don’t have much experience with desserts.
- This recipe doesn’t require special gadgets. You can do this with a hand mixer or even with a fork.
- You can use any seasonal fruits and berries you want.
- The ingredients in this recipe are budget-friendly and easy to find.
🏆 Tips for Success? How to Make It Better?
- Put the ingredients on the table 1 hour before, to bring them all to room temperature.
- After adding the flour, don’t mix it too much so that the gluten shell does not start to form.
- Do not make the dough ahead of time because the baking powder begins to take effect as soon as it is added to the composition. If it will sit for too long, it will lose its properties.
- Use seasonal fruits because they are more flavorful and the cake will be tastier with them.
- Check with a toothpick to see if the cake is cooked enough.
- Flip it over while it is still hot. After it will cool down, the sugar will caramelize and will stick to the baking tray.
🤔 How to Scale the Recipe up and Down?
This is a recipe for 6 servings. If you need to reduce or increase the number of servings, keep the same ratio between the ingredients.
Pro Tip: If you will make a bigger cake, increase the diameter of the baking tray and the baking time.
🥘 Ingredients Needed for This Recipe?
- 6 Fresh Plums.
- ½ Cup (130 ml) of Greek Yogurt.
- 1 Cup (140g) of All Purpose Flour.
- ½ Cup (125 ml) of Vegetable Oil.
- ⅔ Cup (140g) of Sugar.
- 1 Tablespoon of Baking Powder.
- ½ tablespoons of Vanilla Extract.
- ¼ teaspoon of Salt.
🥣 Why Using the Greek Yogurt for This Recipe?
Because Greek yogurt is acidic, it will help us activate the baking soda which will get us light and fluffy dessert.
If you can’t find the greek yogurt, take a look below for the substitutes below.
🍑 Ingredients Swap?
- Fresh Plums. Substitute the plums with peaches or nectarines or you can use drained canned fruits and berries.
- Greek Yogurt. You can replace the yogurt with buttermilk or sourcream.
- All-Purpose Flour. You can use ⅔ of all purpose-flour and substitute another ⅓ with wheat flour, almond flour or other nuts flour that you prefer.
- Vegetable Oil. You can substitute the oil with butter.
- Sugar. You can substitute the sugar with a sweetener with a proportion that is indicated on the package.
- Vanilla Extract. You can skip it or to substitute it with cinnamon powder.
This recipe is so versatile that you can use and other fruits for this cake. You can make the same recipe using oranges, apples, peaches, strawberries, blueberries, pears, and or even lemons.
Also, you can make this upside-down cake with a mix of ⅔ all-purpose flour and ⅓ of almonds flour or another nuts flour.
You can also sprinkle on the top of the cake crushed roasted almonds or hazelnuts.
🍽️ Serving Suggestions
You can serve the plum cake next to ice cream, or whipped cream. Today, I served it near a vanilla ice cream cup.
Attention! These instructions are for Cosori Air Fryer 5.8QT and a 7″ air fryer baking tray. If you have a smaller air fryer, adjust the amount of the ingredients and cooking time.
How to Make the Plum Cake in the Oven?
Follow the same steps, as for the air fryer. The only thing, to change is to bake the cake into the oven at 350°F (180°C) for about 30 minutes.
Quick Note: Keep in mind that the timing can vary from oven to oven because not all of them are working in the same way. Because of that, I recommend you check the cake with a toothpick in the last 5 minutes of baking and adjust the time if is necessary.
How to Make the Plum Cake in the Air Fryer?
Take a tray and grease it well with oil. After that, pour evenly into the baking tray 3-4 teaspoons of sugar.
Next, cut the plums in halves, remove the seeds, and put them with the cut side down in the baking tray.
Put the baking tray with plums in the air fryer and bake them for 5 minutes at 400°F (200°C).
Meanwhile, let’s make the dough for the cake.
Take a large bowl that will let you mix all the ingredients easily. Put the egg and the rest of the sugar in the bowl and mix the composition well.
After that, add the yogurt, oil and mix the composition well once more.
Finally, add flour, salt, baking powder, and vanilla extract to the same bowl.
Mix carefully until all the flour will be incorporated.
Pro Tip: Don’t mix the composition too much because the gluten shell will start forming and because of that, the tart will not be as fluffy.
After all of these steps, you will get a dough that is neither too thick nor too liquid. You should get a texture like in the image below:
Now, we can return back to the air fryer or oven.
After the initial 5 minutes of baking, the air fryer was heated up, the sugar melted and the plums began to cook.
Remove the baking tray and pour in it the dough composition. Using a spatula to arrange the dough in an even layer.
Pro Tip: Be careful to pour the dough into a thin jet in circular movements across all the baking tray. If you suddenly pour all the dough into one place, the weight of the dough will move the fruits from the bottom of the tray. This of course will not affect the taste, but the appearance will not be so pleasant if you omit this detail.
Place the air fryer basket back in the air fryer at 300°F (150°C) for 30 minutes.
In the end, you should get an evenly baked cake with a rich golden color.
Pro Tip: You can check if the cake is baked using a toothpick. Stick the toothpick in the cake and when you take the toothpick out it must be dry.
Now, using a knife, peel the cake off from the walls of the tray so that when you turn the baking tray over, the cake will come off easily.
To flip over the cake, cover the tray with the plate on which you plan to serve it. With a quick movement, turn the tray upside down.
Pro Tip: The tart will easily fall out from the baking tray as long as the cake will be hot. If it will cool down, the sugar will start to caramelize and the cake will stick to the baking tray.
At the end, you can decorate the cake with crushed pistachios to get additional colors and textures.
♻️ Make Ahead and Storage:
You can prepare the cake a day or two before you need it to serve.
After the baking has cooled down, cover it with plastic wrap, or put it in a tightly closed container and keep it in the refrigerator for up to two days.
Yes. After the cake has cooled down, put it in a tightly closed container and keep it in the freezer for up to 3 months.
📋 Recipe Card:
Easy Air Fryer Yogurt Plum Cake
- Cosori Air Fryer 5.8 QT
- Air Fryer 7" Cake Pan
- 6 Pieces Plums
- ⅔ Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Piece Egg Medium
- ⅔ Cup Sugar
- ½ Cup Olive Oil
- ½ Cup Greek Yogurt
- ½ tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 tablespoon Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoons Salt
- Grease the pan with oil, pour 4 teaspoons of sugar into the baking tray, spread them evenly.6 Pieces Plums
- Remove the seeds from the plums and put them with the cut side down on the baking tray.
- Bake them for 5 minutes at 400°F (200°C). Meanwhile, let's prepare the dough for the cake.
- Next, beat the egg with the sugar. Mix well, then add the oil and yogurt. Mix well again the ingredients.1 Piece Egg, ⅔ Cup Sugar, ½ Cup Olive Oil, ½ Cup Greek Yogurt
- Add all-purpose flour, salt, baking powder and vanilla extract. Mix well until all the flour is incorporated.⅔ Cups All-Purpose Flour, 1 tablespoon Baking Powder, ¼ teaspoons Salt, ½ tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- After plums were baked for about 5 minutes, remove the pan from the air fryer and pour over them the dough that we just made in an even layer.
- Return the baking tray into the air fryer and bake the dough for 30 minutes at 300°F (150°C).
- After the time has passed, check if the cake is enough-cooked and while it is still hot, flip it over on the plate you want to serve.
- Wait for the cake to cool down and sprinkle over with crushed pistachios or other walnuts.
- Bring all the ingredients to room temperature.
- Use seasonal fruits because they are tastier.
- Check with a toothpick to see if the cake is cooked enough.
- Flip the cake over while it is still hot and the sugar didn’t start to caramelize and to stick to the baking tray.