Easy way to make homemade healthy chicken patties from scratch in the air fryer. You will need only ground chicken meat, onions, cheddar cheese, lightly whipped cream, and seasonings. Ideal to use for healthy burgers or to serve the chicken patties near a side dish.
If you want to opt for healthier food and not just to use some frozen chicken patties, then I highly recommend you to make your own no breading chicken patties for your family from quality ingredients and without any additional preservatives.
Making your own healthy chicken cutlets at home can be easier and quicker than you think. You will have them on the table in just 30 minutes. Start-to-finish.
Then you can enjoy them as is with some sauces, near some side dishes, or make delicious homemade burgers.
Quick Note: If you want to make a healthy burger, then I highly recommend also making your own homemade burger buns.
Also, this recipe can get you handy if you have difficulties introducing vegetables to children’s diets. This recipe is the perfect solution. You can add grated carrots or zucchini into the meat mix. The chicken burgers will be so delicious that your kids will not observe the vegetables from the patties.
Pro Tip: You can scroll down for the recipe card for quick instructions, or read the entire page for multiple tips and suggestions on how to make the recipe even better.
How to Make the Homemade Chicken Patties?
- Mix the ground meat with chopped onions, whipped cream and cheddar cheese. Mix well the ingredients.
- Form 4-6 patties depending on the serving size that you plan to serve.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F (200°C) and cook the chicken patties for 15 minutes.
- Remove the air fryer basket and flip the chicken patties on another side.
- Cook them for another 5 minutes at 400°F (200°C).
- Serve them near a side dish or on a burger buns.
🥰 Why You Will Love This Recipe?
- It’s healthier than store-bought frozen patties. It doesn’t use any perservatives.
- You can adjust the fat and jucicy level of the patty.
- You can use different spices and to make it exactly to your taste.
- It is a quick recipe. You will need only 30 minutes. From start to finish.
- If you have kids, this recipe is a perfect hit for them. You can add also some vegetables into the meat mix.
🏆 Tips for Success? How to Make It Better?
- Use a mix of chicken thighs with chicken breasts to control the fat levels and the juciess level you want to obtain. If you want to obtain a juicier chicken patties, increase the ratio of chicken thighs. The downside is that you also will get more fats. If you want to reduce the fats, you should add more chicken breasts than thighs, but you will lose a little bit from the juiciest meat.
- Make all the chicken cutlets the same size to make sure than all of the patties will be cooked in the same way avoiding overcooking some of them and undercooking anothers.
- If you use a smaller air fryer, consider cooking the chicken burgers in a few batches for the best results. Avoid overcrowding the air fryer basket.
- Flip the chicken cuttlets to get a nice texture and golden color on both sides.
- Use a meat thermometer or cut the burgers into halves to see if the meat is full cooked. It should be white, not pink.
🤔 How to Scale the Recipe up and Down?
This is a simple recipe, so increase or decrease the quantity of ingredients proportionally. In case if you need to cook a larger quantity of chicken patties, consider cooking them in a few batches to avoid overcrowding the air fryer basket.
🥘 Ingredients Needed for This Recipe?
- 20 ounches of Ground Chicken (10oz of chicken thighs and 10oz of chicken breasts).
- 2 Medium Onions (5 oz)
- ½ cup of Cheddar Cheese (2oz)
- ½ cup of Light Whipped Cream (33%)
- ½ teaspoon of Salt (or to taste)
- ½ teaspoon of Pepper (or to taste)
One of the things I love about the homemade chicken patties is that I can control the ingredients I put in them, and I can control also the level of fats and juiciness I want to get in the end. And most important, I can add whatever spices I want into the meat mix.
🥦 Ingredients Swap?
- Ground Chicken. You can add into the mix also turkey meat, or even you can use pork or ground beef.
- Onions. You can skip them if you don’t like the taste of raw onions, or cook the onion initially until they becomes transparent. And only after that to add the cooked onions into the mix.
- Cheddar Cheese. You could use another type of cheese that you prefer. A safe option is to use parmesan cheese for these air fryer chicken patties. The cheese will help to the chicken patties keep them together.
- Light Whipepd Cream. You can replace the whipped cream with milk or even water keeping the same proportions.
- Seasonings. You can also add chili flakes, garlic or finely chopped parsley. Or just use your favorite mix of spices for the chicken meat.
🍽️ Serving Suggestions
And my (and my guests) favorite, is to serve them with homemade caramelized onions and to make some quick sandwiches.
A Few More Serving Suggestions:
If you can, I always recommend making your own minced meat at home using a food processor. I used a mix of chicken thighs and chicken breast to get some juicier chicken patties. Use a 1:1 ratio.
When you have the ground meat ready, finely chop or grate the onions.
After you have all the ingredients ready, take a large bowl in which it will be easy for you to mix the meat with the rest of the ingredients.
Put in the bowl the grounded meat, onions, cheddar cheese, the whipped cream, and spices. Mix well all the ingredients.
Pro Tip: Initially it will seem that the composition is too liquid. Continue to mix it for about 5-7 minutes. During this time, the meat will absorb the liquid excesses. This will allow us to get juicier chicken patties.
After that, divide the meat into 4-6 parts, depending on how big you want to serve the patties. Keep in mind also the size of your air fryer basket. I’m using a Cosori 5.8QT XL size and I fitted all the patties at once in it. If you have a smaller air fryer, consider cooking the patties in a few batches.
Preheat the air fryer to 400°F (200°C), arrange the chicken patties in the air fryer basket and cook the cutlets for 15 minutes.
Quick Note: Keep in mind that the cooking time is only an estimative and may differ from one air fryer model to another because different models use different power, air fryer basket sizes, and heating modes. Because of that, in the lasts minutes of cooking keep an eye on the air fryer and check the basket from time to time and adjust the timing if is needed. Personally, I used the Cosori Air Fryer 5.8QT for this recipe.
After 15 minutes, remove the basket from the air fryer, flip upside-down the patties to give them a golden color on the other side as well. Cook them for another 5 minutes at the same temperature.
The chicken patties are ready to be served. I served them with delicious salsa. You can also use them for delicious homemade burgers.
♻️ Make Ahead, Storage and Heating:
Yes. You can prepare the meat mix one day ahead and cook the meat fresh for the best results. Or to keep the chicken patties in the freezer for up to 3 months and to cook them frozen when you will need them.
After the chicken patties will cool down, you can put them in a well-closed container and keep them for up to two days in the fridge.
Yes. You can freeze the uncooked chicken patties and keep them in the freezer for up to 3 months. Form the chicken patties, and between the patties put parchment paper to separate them easier after they are frozen. Or you can use small ziplock bags and keep them separately.
When you will need to cook them, there is no need to defrost them before cooking. Just put them directly into the air fryer. As they will be completely frozen, the cooking time will increase by 6 minutes.
You can warm them in the microwave for 1-2 minutes, or in the preheated air fryer at 360°F (180°C) for 3-4 minutes.
🤔Answering Your Questions:
Use a mix of 1:1 of chicken thighs and chicken breast. This will give you the best results between fats and juiciness that you will get in the end.
You can serve them near a spice sauce like is homemade sweet chili sauce, or add some chili flakes or finely chopped chili peppers into the meat mix.
📋 Recipe Card:
Easy Homemade Chicken Patties in Air Fryer
- COSORI Air Fryer 5.8QT
- 20 oz Grounded Chicken 10 oz of thighs, 10 oz of chicken breast
- 2 Pieces Onions Medium
- ½ cup Cheddar Cheese
- ½ cup Light Whipped Cream 33%
- ½ teaspoon Salt or to taste
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper or to taste
- Chop the onions and mix it with ground chicken, whipped cream, cheddar cheese and seasonings. Mix well the composition.20 oz Grounded Chicken, 2 Pieces Onions, ½ cup Cheddar Cheese, ½ cup Light Whipped Cream, ½ teaspoon Salt, ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- Prehet the Air Fryer to 400°F (200°C) and form 4-6 chicken patties and put them in the air fryer basket.
- Cook the chicken patties for 15 minutes.
- Flip the chicken patties and cook them for another 5 minutes.
- Serve them as-is near a sauce, side dish, or on a burger buns.
- Form equal-sized patties to make sure that all of them will cook in the same way.
- Use your own choice of seasonings to make right to your taste.
- If your air fryer basket doesn’t have an anti-sticking cover, consider using perforated parchment paper.
- Cooking time is an estimate only because the actual time may differ from one air fryer model to another. The recipe timings are for the quantity of ingredients that I specified and for the Cosori 5.8QT.