Air Fryer chicken breast and cubed potatoes marinated in the buffalo sauce and cooked until a nice golden and crispy crust. All we will need for this recipe are a few potatoes, boneless chicken breast, a marinating sauce, a few simple spices, and 10 minutes of your time. For the rest of the time, this dish will cook alone.
What can be better and easier than a combination of chicken and potatoes cooked in the air fryer?
It is one of the safest combinations especially when you need to cook for some new guests that you are not too familiar with their taste. By cooking the chicken and potatoes in the air fryer, you will make this dish healthier because we will use less oil than usual cooking them in the oven. We will get a nice golden color on the potatoes and a crispy texture on the chicken breast. Yummy!
Yes, we will need almost one and a half hours to put this dish on the table, but it will not require too much attention from our side. It will cook almost alone.
In the beginning, we will need just to clean the potatoes and meat, marinate them, and let them for at least 30 minutes to absorb the taste from the spices. After that, we will put them in the air fryer basket where we will cook them for another 30-40 minutes. That’s all we need to do for this recipe. This chicken and potatoes recipe is great also for beginners who just started to cook in the air fryer. You can’t go wrong with it.
Even if we will use some simple ingredients, you will get amazed by how flavorful this dish is.
Are you intrigued? Let me give into more details.
What You Will Find in This Post?
- Which potatoes are best for this recipe?
- Why you don’t need to cut the meat too small?
- Substitute ideas for the main ingredients from this recipe.
- How to avoid burning the potatoes and chicken meat.
- Serving and storage suggestions.
👩🍳How to Make Chicken and Potatoes in Air Fryer
- Wash well the chicken breast and cut it into smaller pieces.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into similar-sized chunks.
- Marinate the chicken and potatoes together with all the spices.
- Cook for 40 minutes at 375°F / 190°C.
- Serve near a fresh salad.
🥰 Why You Will Love This Recipe?
- This recipe is perfect for evenings when you don’t have too much time and you need to put something quick and delicious on the table.
- We will use only a few simple ingredients that everybody likes.
- You can easily vary the ingredients and their amounts depending on what you have in the fridge.
🏆 Expert Tips. What to Pay Attention On?
- Use potatoes that cook quickly, otherwise, the meat may dry out until the potatoes will be cooked. Usually, the Russet potatoes are the classic choice for that reason. You can keep the skin on them or peel them. It is up to you.
- Cut the potatoes into cubes of about 1”. Try to cut all the potato chunks into similar-sized cubes to make sure that all of them will cook evenly.
- In order to make sure that all the potatoes and chicken pieces will be cooked evenly, make sure that you will not overcrowd the air fryer basket. Leave some space so the hot air can easily circulate between them. I you need to cook for a larger number of people, consider cooking in a few batches for the best results. If you know in advance that you will cook this dish, then marinate the meat the night before. In that way, you will get even juicier meat.
- Take the chicken from the fridge one hour ahead before you will start to cook it, and let it on the table to bring the meat to room temperature. By doing that, we will make sure that chicken will be cooked evenly.
- If your air fryer basket doesn’t have a non-stick coating, you can put parchment paper on the bottom of the air fryer basket. If you’re an air fryer beginner, you don’t need to buy a lot of fancy stuff for it. You can use for now your regular parchment paper. Just cut it to the shape of the air fryer basket and make a few small holes in it so any liquid that will be released can be drained.
🥘 Ingredients and Substitutes
OUR FAVORITE AIR FRYER
COSORI Air Fryer Pro
Having used the previous model of the Cosori air fryer for all my recipes on the blog, and recently upgraded to this one. It is a must-have addition to any kitchen that aims for healthier and tastier meals.
- Chicken meat. I used chicken breast for this recipe because this type of meat is more dietetic and cooks faster. But of course, you can replace it with chicken drumsticks, chicken crowns, or cornish hens.
- Potatoes. Pick potatoes that are suitable for baking. They need to cook quickly.
- Cloves Garlic. I used fresh garlic because I love to eat it baked in the shell. If you haven’t tried yet the baked garlic in a shell, try them at least once. If you are not a fan of the fresh garlic taste or you want a lighter taste of garlic, you can replace the fresh garlic with granulated dried garlic or you can omit it altogether.
- Sauce for Marinade. I used homemade buffalo sauce because it gives a slightly sour, creamy, and spicy taste to the meat. If you want, you can replace it with BBQ sauce, Alabama white sauce, pesto, or with a mix of mayo and mustard.
- Seasonings. As I used a sauce with an intense taste, I didn’t have to use other spices. I only used a mix of Salt and Black Pepper. If you use a more neutral sauce, you could add hot peppers and herbs.
👩🍳 Step-by-step Directions
If you decided to use chicken breast, cut it into pieces large enough to prevent the meat from drying out. If you use drumsticks or other parts of the chicken, then you can cut them into smaller pieces.
Quick Note: If you are going to cook the meat together with the potatoes, don’t cut the meat into small pieces as you risk drying it completely until the potatoes will be cooked.
Once you have the meat ready, peel the potatoes and cut them into equal-sized pieces.
Throw the meat and potatoes in a large bowl where you can easily mix all the ingredients later. Pour over them the buffalo sauce or other sauce you decide to use. After that, add the rest of the ingredients and spices.
Mix everything well to be sure that the potatoes and meat are well covered with sauce and spices on all sides. Let everything marinate for at least 30 minutes.
After that, arrange everything in one layer in the air fryer basket.
Quick Note: If you use a smaller air fryer, or if you need to cook a bigger amount of servings, consider cooking them in a few batches for the best results. Avoid overcrowding the air fryer basket in order to cook all the ingredients evenly and to get a crispy crust on them.
Bake at 375°F / 190°C for 40 minutes. After 20 minutes, remove the air fryer basket and shake the basket to flip the ingredients to another side.
Pro Tip: To avoid burning and to get a more even cooking, after 20 minutes when you will remove the air fryer basket to flip the ingredients, cover everything with aluminum foil.
Quick Note: As the air fryers work slightly differently, the cooking time also may differ from one air fryer model to another. Because of that, after 30 minutes, check how well are the potatoes and chicken breast cooked. For the potatoes, you can break one and look inside. It should be soft on the interior. For the chicken breast, use a meat thermometer. Its inner temperature should rich 165ºF (74ºC) in order to be safe to eat. The timings from this recipe are for the Cosori Air Fryer 5.8QT.
Serve while it is still hot. For extra color and freshness to the plate, add finely chopped parsley on top of the meat.
🍽️ Serving Suggestions
As this is a complete dish that consists of meat and potatoes, the only thing I could recommend you to add next to it is a green salad.
Dipping Sauces to Serve This Chicken With:
While this chicken and potatoes cooked in the air fryer are very tasty to eat as is, I prefer to serve them near a sauce for a more intense taste. Here are a few suggestions for you that you can’t go wrong with:
♻️ Make Ahead, Storage, and Heating:
Can I Prepare the Chicken And Potatoes Ahead?
If you want to prepare this recipe ahead, I recommend marinating only the meat a maximum of one day ahead when you plan to serve it. Because after the cooked potatoes after they will cool, they change their taste and are not so good anymore.
How Long Do the Chicken and Potatoes Last in the Fridge?
In case you have a larger amount of chicken and potatoes leftovers, you could keep them in the fridge in a tightly-closed container for about 3 days. But I recommend cooking only the amount of food you will eat at
How to Reheat the Air Fryer Chicken and Potatoes?
You could reheat them in the microwave for about 2 minutes, or in a preheated air fryer at 350ºF (175ºC) for 4-5 minutes.
How to Know If The Chicken is Cooked?
The first and best method to make sure that chicken is cooked enough, use a meat thermometer. The chicken will be ready when its inner temperature will reach 165ºF (74ºC). If it didn’t reach this temperature, put the meat back in the air fryer and cook for a few more minutes.
For this method, you can use the simplest meat thermometer that you have under your hands. The only downside of that is that you will need every time to remove the air fryer basket and check the inner temperature. If you’re a tech and air fryer geek, I can recommend using a fancy meat thermometer with wifi that will connect to your smartphone and it will send you an alert when your meat will rich this specific inner temperature.
The second method is to use a fork and a knife to make a small cut in the thicker part of the meat and to check how the meat is cooked inside. The downside of this method is that if you will make a few of these cuts, the juice from the meat will throw away and the meat will not be so juicy in the end.
📋 Recipe Card:
Air Fryer Chicken Breast and Potatoes
- Wash and dry well the chicken breast or other meat that you decided to use.1 lb Chicken Breast
- Cut the meat into suitable pieces.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into approximately equal sizes.1 lb Potato
- Take a large bowl and put in it the meat and the potatoes. Pour over them the spices and sauce you decided to use for the marinade.1 lb Chicken Breast, 1 lb Potato, 4 Cloves Garlic, 5 tablespoon Buffalo Sauce, ¼ teaspoon Salt, ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- Mix everything well and leave to marinate the chicken and potatoes for at least 30 minutes.
- Put the potatoes and chicken breast in the air fryer basket in a single layer.
- Cook them at 375°F / 190°C for about 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, remove the air fryer basket and shake it to flip the ingredients. Cook for another 10-20 minutes.
I highly recommend reading the entire recipe to find more tips and notes about this recipe. Read Full Recipe ⇑
- Don’t cut the meat into small pieces because you risk drying the meat.
- Pick potatoes that are suitable for baking. Pick those that cook quickly. If you don’t know which of them to pick, you can’t go wrong with the Russet potatoes.
- The timing in this recipe is for the Cosori Air Fryer 5.8QT. If you use another model, check the ingredients after 30 minutes and adjust the timing accordingly.