Air fryer homemade sausage patties are ideal to serve for breakfast. The air fryer breakfast sausage patties that are tender and juicy are formed from ground pork and a few simple spices. We will make them from scratch, so you can prepare a larger quantity, to make them exactly to your liking and keep them in the freezer.
Are you looking for a meaty addition to your breakfast or brunch routine? Homemade breakfast sausage patties cooked in an air fryer is a great healthy option because we will make them from scratch with quality ingredients.
This recipe guide will help you to make your own breakfast sausage patties in the air fryer from scratch. By cooking them in the air fryer we will make them tender on the inside and will give a crispy crust on the outside.
You can serve them near fried eggs, waffles, donuts pancakes, or you can serve them in a sandwich made with French toast, bread, or biscuits.
This recipe is so easy to make and it turns out so delicious. If you want to stop buying frozen products from the stores, this recipe comes great. You can make them ahead in a larger quantity and keep them in the freezer for up to 3 months. In that way, you can make them exactly as your family prefers them, in different sizes, using different spices, and you are sure by the quality of the ingredients that were used in this recipe.
I’m more than convinced that after you will try to make your own breakfast sausage patties, you will stop buying the frozen sausage patties from the local grocery store.
Let me jump into some more details.
📚 What You Will Find in This Post?
- What meat you should use for this recipe?
- How to make all of them of the same shape and weight?
- How to make the sausage patties juicier?
- How to make sure that the sausage patties will not change their shapes during cooking.
- Serving and Storage Instructions.
👩🍳 How to Cook Breakfast Sausage Patties in Air Fryer?
- Mix the ground pork meat with spices and one raw egg and form the sausage patties.
- Sprinkle the air fryer basket with olive oil and arrange the patties on it.
- Cook for 15 minutes at 350°F / 175°C.
- Flip the sausage patties on another side and cook for 10 more minutes.
- Serve while they are still hot.
🥰 Why You Will Love This Recipe?
- Even if this recipe may seem complex it is simple and easy to make.
- You only need a few simple ingredients to make it.
- You can be sure of the quality of the products that your family eats and you will eat fewer frozen store-bought products.
- As we will make those from scratch, you can adjust the taste exactly to your family’s liking.
- You can prepare a larger amount of sausage patties and keep them in the freezer. When you will need to serve them, you can cook them right from the frozen.
🥘 Ingredients and Substitutes
- Ground Meat. I used ground pork because it goes perfectly with classic spices. Also, by using pork, I got a mix of 70% lean meat and 30% of fat. If you will use 20-30% fat in the meat, the sausage patties will be juicier in the end. Have already frozen mince meat? Find if you can cook the mince from frozen?
- Egg. We need to add an egg to this recipe because it will help the patties to keep their shape during cooking. It will work like glue.
- Seasonings. I used a classic breakfast sausage mix of spices that consists of garlic, dried sage, fennel seeds, nutmeg, salt, and black pepper. But of course, you could use specialized mixes or add other spices that you prefer in combination with pork meat.
👩🍳 Step-by-step Directions
Take a large bowl that will allow you to easily mix all the ingredients in it. Put in it the ground meat, a raw egg, and all the spices you have decided to use.
Pro Tip: If you took the meat right from the fridge, and it is too cold, I will recommend bringing the meat to room temperature. You can do that before you will start doing this recipe, or if you want to save some time after you will mix the ground meat with spices, leave it for about an hour at room temperature. In that time, the meat will absorb better all the flavors from the spices, and at the same time, the temperature of the meat will be about the same as room temperature. By bringing the meat to room temperature, during cooking, the meat will not lose so much juice. This is one of the secrets of how to make the sausage patties even juicier.
After that, divide the meat into equal pieces depending on how many patties you intend to make. I decided to serve two sausage patties per serving for two persons, so I divided the meat into 4 pieces.
Pro Tip: You can do this step by eye, or if you are a perfectionist, use a kitchen scale to make sure all the parts are the same size.
Quick Note: If you will make the sausage patties smaller, you will also need to reduce the cooking time as they will cook faster.
Sprinkle the air fryer tray with oil to prevent the sausage patties from sticking to the air fryer tray.
Form the sausage patties by using a cooking ring or a burger press to give them an equal and good-looking shape.
Do You Love Your Air Fryer?
Level up your experience even more with these air fryer accessories!
Pro Tip: In order for the sausage patties not to deform during baking, I recommend making a hole in the middle of the sausage patties with your finger. This will help them keep their shape while cooking.
Bake at 350°F / 175°C for 25 minutes. Halfway through their cooking time, flip the sausage patties on another side for an evenly cooking.
Quick Note: As the air fryer models may work slightly different from each other, I will recommend after 15 minutes to check your sausage patties and adjust the timing accordingly. The cooking time from this recipe is for the Cosori Air Fryer 5.8QT.
The sausage patties that we cooked in the air fryer are ready to be served. This morning, I served them with some fried eggs and red beans.
Optionally, you can sprinkle some freshly chopped parsley for extra color and freshness.
🍽️ Serving Suggestions
These breakfast sausage patties are perfect for a hearty and nutritious breakfast early in the morning or for a late brunch. You can serve them with fried eggs, beans, or other vegetables for breakfast. With this combination, you will have a dish rich in proteins at the beginning of the day which will help you to be energetic throughout the day.
🏆 Expert Tips. What to Pay Attention To?
Before you will start making the recipe, read these tips so you can make sure that you can get the best from this recipe.
- Use good quality ground pork meat that consists of 70% of lean meat and 30% of fat.
- Initially, when you will start mixing the meat, you will have the impression that the composition is too liquid. Continue to mix the meat insistently until you notice that it becomes denser and the meat will keep its shape better. As you mix, the meat protein will react with the salt and it will form a structure that helps maintain the shape of the sausage patties. This process is similar when we are mixing dough when we are forming a gluten shell. Which is also a protein.
- Use a cooking ring or a burger press to give the same shape to all the sausage patties. This will allow us to bake them all evenly and at the same time.
- Make a hole in the center of the sausage patties, so that they will not warp during cooking and it will be more attractive.
- If you kept the meat in the fridge, for the best results, bring it to room temperature. Leave the meat for one hour on the table.
- If you want to make sure that sausage patties are safe to eat, you can use a meat thermomether to check their inner temperature. It should reach 160F.
♻️ Make Ahead, Storage and Heating:
I highly recommend preparing a larger quantity of these patties and to keep them raw in the freezer. When you will need to serve them, you can take them out frozen and cook them directly in the air fryer. In this case, if you plan to keep them in the freezer, I recommend replacing the fresh garlic with the granulated dried garlic because the fresh garlic after freezing will change its taste.
Wait for them to cool down completely and you can keep them for up to three days in the fridge in an air-tight container.
You can reheat them in a preheated air fryer at 350°F / 175°C for 4-5 minutes or in the microwave for 1-2 minutes.
If you’re cooking homemade sausage patties in the air fryer, then you should cook them for about 20-30 minutes at 350°F / 175°C. The exact timing depends by your air fryer model and how thick you did the sausage patties.
📋 Recipe Card:
Homemade Air Fryer Sausage Patties
- Mix the meat well with an raw egg and the spices you have decided to use.1 lb Ground Pork, 1 clove Garlic, ½ teaspoon Sage, ½ teaspoon Fennel Seeds, ⅛ teaspoon Nutmeg, ½ teaspoon Salt, ½ teaspoon Black Pepper, 1 Egg
- Divide the meat according to how many and how big sausage patties you want to form.
- Sprinkle the air fryer basket with oil and put the sausage patties in it.
- Bake at 350°F / 175°C for 25 minutes.
- Serve the sausage patties when they are still hot.
- Use ground pork meat that has a composition of 20-30% fat and 70-80% lean meat.
- Bring the ground meat to room temperature to get juicy sausage patties.
- Use a burger form or cooking rings to form the sausage patties of the same size.
- If you will form smaller sausage patties, reduce the cooking time.
- The cooking time may differ from one air fryer model to another. After 15 minutes, check the sausage patties and adjust the timing accordingly.