This 3-ingredient potato soup is a great hearty soup recipe that will require you minimum ingredients and is very easy to make. Is a perfect recipe for those busy weeknight dinners as you will need only a few potatoes, heavy cream, and a few garlic cloves. Serve it with a piece of crusty bread for a complete and fulfilling meal that your whole family will enjoy. Let’s get started!
You will love making this recipe because it doesn’t require a lot of ingredients and a lot of prep work. All you will need for this simple but delicious recipe are a few potatoes, heavy cream to make it creamier, and a few garlic cloves for extra flavor.
Those simple recipes are great because you can easily substitute ingredients to make them exactly to your liking. For example, if you don’t like the garlic taste, you can replace the garlic with onions, shredded bacon, or leek.
If you don’t like the heavy cream because it is too fatty, you can replace it with light cream.
If you are looking for a vegetarian variant for that 3-ingredient potato soup, just replace the cream with a vegetarian version of cream or plant-based milk.
It is hearty, and creamy which makes it satisfying for a cold winter day. Interested? Give it a try tonight and warm up with a big bowl of homemade potato soup!
Enough words, let’s get started!
🥘 Ingredients and Substitutes
- Potatoes. Use potatoes that are used for mashed potatoes usually. A few good examples will be Russets or Yukon Golds potatoes. By using these types of potatoes you will get a fluffier and creamier texture of the potato soup.
- Heavy Cream. You could substitute the heavy cream with whipped cream of another fat level, but you have to be careful that the low-fat whipped cream, can separate during cooking and also will not give you such a creamy taste and texture.
- Garlic. I used fresh garlic because I think it is the best flavor you can get from a combination of potatoes and cream. This combination brings us to the classic potato gratin recipe. If you don’t like the strong state of the garlic, you could replace it with onion, leek, or celery root.
👩🍳 Step-by-step Directions
First of all, clean and wash the potatoes well. Make sure that there are no hard particles and black spots on the potatoes. After that, cut the potatoes into small cubes of approximately equal size.
Put the saucepan on low heat, and pour the oil and garlic into it. Cook them for about 1 minute until you will notice a nice smell of garlic.
When you will feel this pleasant smell of fried garlic, add the potatoes over it.
Now it is time to add potatoes, water, cream, salt, and black pepper in the pan.
Mix well all the ingredients, cover with a lid and let everything boil over low heat.
When the potatoes will be boiled, you can use a blender or a potato masher to homogenize the composition.
Do You Love Your Air Fryer?
Level up your experience even more with these air fryer accessories!
Pro Tip: If you use an electric blender, be very careful not to exaggerate the blending time. If you will blend the potatoes, you will break the starch and you will get a sticky consistency. If you use a manual potato masher, you will be sure that you will not make a mistake with the texture.
Quick Note: I prefer a thicker consistency, but if you like more liquid soups, add a little more cream after blending.
Serve the potato soup while it is still hot. Before serving, you can sprinkle it with a little bit of olive oil and fresh chopped herbs.
For an extra texture, you can serve this soup with some croutons or garlic bread.
🍽️ Serving Suggestions
Want to go the extra mile? Consider serving it with a salad, crusty bread, or with some classic toppings like chives, sour cream, or green onions.
🏆 Expert Tips. What to Pay Attention On?
- Choose the right variety of potatoes. Opt for varieties that are rich in starch for a fluffier texture.
- The smaller you will cut the potatoes, the faster they will boil.
- If you use high-fat heavy cream, you will ensure that the composition will not separate.
- Do not fry the garlic for too long. Otherwise, you risk giving a bitter and unpleasant taste to the food.
♻️ Make Ahead, Storage and Heating:
Do not prepare the potato soup ahead of time because the potatoes will change their taste after cooling. They will remember the taste of cold mashed potatoes. If you don’t have a problem with that taste, go for it.
If you don’t mind the taste of cold mashed potatoes or if you cooked too much that you didn’t manage to eat the entire amount of potato soup in one sitting, you can keep it safely in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Do not freeze the potato soup because it contains heavy cream that will separate during freezing.
You can reheat it on the stove on low heat and mixing from time to time.
📋 Recipe Card:
Easy 3-Ingredient Potato Soup
- Peel and cut the potatoes into small cubes.4 Potatoes
- Put the oil and garlic in the saucepan. Cook them on low heat for 1 minute.1 tablespoon Olive Oil, 2 cloves Garlic
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the saucepan. Cook them on low heat under the lid until the potatoes are cooked.1 cup Heavy Cream, 1 cup Water, ½ teaspoon Salt, ⅛ teaspoon Black Pepper
- Blend the soup to get a uniform texture.
- Serve while it's hot, sprinkled with a little olive oil and freshly chopped aromatic herbs.
- Make sure you wash and cleaned the potatoes well because all the rough particles will give an unpleasant appearance to the soup.
- If you need potatoes to boil faster, consider cutting them into smaller pieces.
- Be careful not to blend the potatoes too much because you risk getting a sticky texture.
- Use a high-fat heavy cream to avoid separation of the composition.
- Do not burn the garlic because it will give a bitter and unpleasant taste to the soup.
- Adjust the density of the soup with cream at the end.