Honey dill sauce is a simple 5-minute dipping sauce that will go almost with anything. It is an excellent alternative to the classic chili sauce, but you don’t need it to be spicy. If you want to reduce the fat of the sauce, you can replace the mayo with yogurt to get a similar but healthier result.
It is not a secret that I’m a big lover of sweet chili sauce and it was a real surprise when I discovered this dill sauce. It has almost the same taste as the sweet chili sauce, but it misses the chili part. It is ideal to consider serving it to kids or to someone who doesn’t like spicy food.
It basically has a neutral taste, it will go almost with anything. Starting with a few snacks and ending near a piece of meat.
I made the sauce only with honey, mustard, mayo, and freshly chopped dill. If you want to go the extra mile, you can add a little bit of lemon juice to it or make your own homemade mayo for an even healthier substitute.
The honey dill sauce is so easy to make at home that you will not have any excuses to buy it ready from the grocery stores. The advantage of making your own dipping sauce is that you can adjust the taste exactly to your family’s preferences.
🥰 Why You Will Love This Recipe?
- It is an easy and quick recipe.
- You can vary the taste of the sauce by using different aromatic herbs or spices.
- It keeps well in the fridge and is perfect for adding extra flavor to different dishes.
- You can use this sauce to marinate the meat before baking.
🥘 Ingredients and Substitutes
- Fresh Dill. Yes, you can use the dried dill in this recipe, but you will not get the same tasty result. As this sauce contains only a few ingredients, we need to use good-quality ingredients. Because of that, I still recommend trying to find fresh dill and chopping it right before adding it to the sauce. It will raise the dill sauce to another level. If you will decide to go with dried dill, cut the dill amount in half.
- Mustard. I used spicy German mustard, but you can replace it with any other type of mustard you prefer. Even Whole Grain Mustard will fit great in this recipe. It will give an extra texture to the honey dill sauce.
- Honey. I used poly flora honey, but you can replace it with any other honey, or even with artificial honey. If you will use another type of honey, make sure to adjust the quantity accordingly.
- Mayonnaise. For this recipe, I used basic commercial mayonnaise. By using the mayo from a grocery store – the sauce will keep for longer in the fridge. If for you is more important the healthy part and the taste, then consider replacing the commercial mayo with a homemade one. In this case, make sure that you will not keep the honey dill sauce in for more than a week in the fridge.
👩🍳 Step-by-step Directions
Pro tip: If you want to extract as much flavor as possible from the fresh dill, use a mortar.
For this put the dill in the mortar and sprinkle over it a little salt to intensify the color and the taste of the fresh dill then grind well.
After that, add the mustard and honey over the dill. Incorporate them well until you will get a uniform composition.
At the end add mayonnaise over our composition and mix everything well one more time.
Now you can taste and adjust the taste to your liking. I only felt the need to add a little more salt to this homemade dill sauce.
After some time, the dill sauce will intensify, even more, color and taste. So I recommend you leave it in the refrigerator for a few hours before serving it.
If you have time for that.
🍽️ Serving Suggestions
You can serve this sauce near a piece of meat or near some baked or fried vegetables. Here are some suggestions:
Do You Love Your Air Fryer?
Level up your experience even more with these air fryer accessories!
🏆 Expert Tips. What to Pay Attention To?
- For extra flavor, first rub the dill well with a pinch of salt to intensify its flavor, taste, and color.
- If you want a slightly spicy taste, use a stronger mustard or just increase the amount of used mustard.
♻️ Make Ahead, Storage and Heating:
This sauce is perfect to prepare ahead of time. You can make it even a week ahead and it will be still good for serving.
As this sauce contains mayo, I will recommend keeping it in the fridge for about two weeks if you will keep it in an airtight container. If you will use homemade mayo, I will recommend making it a maximum of 2-3 days ahead of time.
It is not recommended to freeze the honey dill sauce because it is fatty and can separate in the process. In addition, the fattier food is – the shorter time you can keep it in the fridge and freezer.
📋 Recipe Card:
Homemade Honey Dill Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dill Chopped
- 1 teaspoon Mustard
- 2 tablespoons Honey
- 8 tablespoons Mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- Add a little bit of salt over the dill and rub it well in a mortar.1 tablespoon Dill
- Add honey and mustard over the fresh dill, then mix again until an uniform composition.2 tablespoons Honey, 1 teaspoon Mustard
- At the end add mayonnaise and if is needed you can adjust the salt to taste.8 tablespoons Mayonnaise, 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- Optionally, you can add lemon juice for an extra acidic taste.1 teaspoon Lemon Juice
- Consider using fresh dill for a richer taste.
- For an even more intense taste, rub the fresh dill in a mortar.